Remarkable videos recently posted on Youtube

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums

User avatar
algenon_iii
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:49 pm
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Re: Remarkable videos recently posted on Youtube

Post by algenon_iii » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:08 pm

BBC Micro restoration from down under, most remarkable thing is the "replacement" PSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC6h1rssuUI

cmorley
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:11 pm
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Re: Remarkable videos recently posted on Youtube

Post by cmorley » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:57 pm

algenon_iii wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:08 pm
BBC Micro restoration from down under, most remarkable thing is the "replacement" PSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC6h1rssuUI
That and it being what looks like a USA spec (or German?!) machine.

Kazzie
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:10 pm
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Re: Remarkable videos recently posted on Youtube

Post by Kazzie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:59 am

cmorley wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:57 pm
algenon_iii wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:08 pm
BBC Micro restoration from down under, most remarkable thing is the "replacement" PSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC6h1rssuUI
That and it being what looks like a USA spec (or German?!) machine.
The innards of that "power supply" are familiar, I'm sure we've had a thread on this machine here on Stardot. (Not that I can find it at the moment...)
Last edited by Kazzie on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BBC Model B 32k issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM (mid- restoration)
Acorn System 1 home-made replica

User avatar
BigEd
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:24 am
Location: West
Contact:

Re: Remarkable videos recently posted on Youtube

Post by BigEd » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:10 am

Perhaps a little OT, but the automatic pneumatic non-destructive linear book scanner shown here is worth a look:
BookScanner.png
See a hardware prototype of an automatic, non-destructive book scanner. The machine turns pages automatically, and captures high-resolution images of each page. It was developed in 20% time, and built in the Google Workshops.

There will be a live demo and a short technical presentation, describing the design process.

Dany Qumsiyeh is an engineer on the Google Books team
See also two short amateur videos of the machine in action:
Google's early linear book scanner prototype (part 1 of 2)
Google's early linear book scanner prototype (part 2 of 2)

and an earlier prototype (one of very many) with a totally different approach:

Kazzie
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:10 pm
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Re: Remarkable videos recently posted on Youtube

Post by Kazzie » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:06 am

Kazzie wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:59 am
cmorley wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:57 pm
algenon_iii wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:08 pm
BBC Micro restoration from down under, most remarkable thing is the "replacement" PSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC6h1rssuUI
That and it being what looks like a USA spec (or German?!) machine.
The innards of that "power supply" are familiar, I'm sure we've had a thread on this machine here on Stardot. (Not that I can find it at the moment...)
Found it: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15741
BBC Model B 32k issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM (mid- restoration)
Acorn System 1 home-made replica

Andrew_Waite
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Remarkable videos recently posted on Youtube

Post by Andrew_Waite » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:23 am

Published today, ExplainingComputers on running RISC OS on the Raspberry Pi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL4w3AK6Qpw
Last edited by Andrew_Waite on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Andrew_Waite
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Remarkable videos recently posted on Youtube

Post by Andrew_Waite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:37 pm

Norman Quentin Cook, better known by his stage name Fatboy Slim, being interviewed in his recording studio with his Atari ST in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFIzWVo ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Andrew_Waite on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.


User avatar
davidb
Posts: 2278
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Remarkable videos recently posted on Youtube

Post by davidb » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:03 pm

And another Electron fixed: Acorn Electron recapping and retrobrite - with a BBC Micro-style two tone beep on start-up. :o

Post Reply