educational - various tapes 1983/4

want to contribute an update to the archive? post it here!
CMcDougall

Re: educational - various tapes 1983/4

Post by CMcDougall » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:12 pm

seeing CHAINable programs AL6, AL7, AL8, AL9, and ALT
on BeebEm414 your CSW does show these, but with my UEFhq, they don't. But they do show when loaded on bEm212 :? (wish they saw the same!)
Remind me what the advantage of UEFhq is
just a smaller file I think, but does keep them original too with the same gaps between the files. Normal basic UEF does not keep the gaps, nor can handle 'stream' or other weirdness!
ImageImageImage

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:31 pm

Manuals scanned and uploaded for Fundamental Algebra, Atoms And Moles, and Shapes, all by Griffin.

(I had to upload the Shapes manual off-site because it was too big.)

See previous posts in this thread for the software downloads.
Attachments
Shapes.jpeg
Cover scan
Atoms_Moles.jpeg
Cover scan
Fundamental_algebra.jpeg
Cover scan

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri May 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Here's Mental Arithmetic, another Griffin Software custom bitstream loader extravaganza -- so only CSWs for now. Documentation scans to come.
Attachments
Griffin_Mental_Arithmetic_CSW.zip
Audio data from the original tape, recorded as WAV, and then converted to CSW.
(189.29 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun May 17, 2015 10:11 pm

^good work =D>

here they are converted to UEFhq:
Attachments
Mental Arithmetic-Griffin SoftwareA.zip
a
(8.97 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Mental Arithmetic-Griffin SoftwareB.zip
b
(8.81 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
ImageImageImage

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sun May 17, 2015 11:23 pm

CMcDougall wrote:^good work =D> here they are converted to UEFhq:
Thanks, Col!

Btw, there's another tape I've been trying to record using GoldWave on a PC -- which is what I always use for recording -- but the recorded waveforms look uneven, lopsided, and CSWViewer can't convert the recorded WAV file properly: it just outputs a CSW that consists of a load of "Non-standard block"s or whatever BeebEm calls them.

My actual Beeb, on the other hand, has no problem reading from the same tape using the same tape recorder!

Any advice on different programs and/or settings and/or equipment I could try? I'm just using a data cassette recorder with a mono lead plugged into the Line In of a Windows 8 PC (running CSWViewer in a Win XP virtual machine). GoldWave is recording mono sound at 44kHz.

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Mon May 18, 2015 3:01 am

It's great seeing so many of the old Griffin tapes being uploaded ... I never used to play them when I was younger 'cause I couldn't transfer them to disc and could never be bothered waiting for the tape to load!

Let me know if any of these are needed!
Attachments
GriffinTapes.jpg
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Mon May 18, 2015 6:40 am

From memory, yes please. Snag is I can't do tapes (at the moment he adds :wink: )
- John

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Mon May 18, 2015 8:56 am

lurkio seems to be the man when it comes to tricky tapes, having mastered the ancient art of compress square wave file generation! :wink:

Shall I bring the tapes with me on Saturday, Chet?
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon May 18, 2015 11:13 am

Arcadian wrote:lurkio seems to be the man when it comes to tricky tapes, having mastered the ancient art of compress square wave file generation! :wink:
Dunno about that! I think Griffin tapes used some sort of high-quality production process because they all seem to record and convert to CSW without error, first time. I've had much less success with other tapes.
Arcadian wrote:Shall I bring the tapes with me on Saturday, Chet?
Please do.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Mon May 18, 2015 8:43 pm

lurkio wrote:another tape I've been trying to record using GoldWave on a PC.
that's why you get good success, as Audacity does a Very bad job:
http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 703#p79162
I bought WaveLab6 for £400 :^o and have used that program since 2001 (for rare Illegal Rave tapes and vinyl)
Some of my ripping beeb/elk/atom tapes bible here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5987#p56019
CSWViewer can't convert the recorded WAV file properly: it just outputs a CSW that consists of a load of "Non-standard block"s or whatever BeebEm calls them
I always check with bEm22, as it reads /loads weird blocks 97% better than BeebEm414 (also finds first file with UEFhq, not block1 :x )

I rip all my tapes with a Sony Hi-Fi walkman, from Argos £9, as can't be bothered with bad quality heads that have been sandpapered to death with 300+ tapes thrown through it in it's life
ImageImageImage

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon May 18, 2015 11:00 pm

CMcDougall wrote:Some of my ripping beeb/elk/atom tapes bible here: ...
CMcDougall wrote:Record (WaveLab6.10build340) usual Stereo, 44k, 16bit, peak about-2.5
then Save As RAW to Mono, 44k, 8bit unsigned.
then convert using dbPowerAmp to Mono, 44k, 8bit.
or convert using NCH Switch414 to Mono, 44k, 8bit.

very good , 95% works=Mono,44kHz,344Kbps / PCM 44100hz,1Channel,8bits
not very good, 20% works=Mono,22kHz,168Kbps / PCM 22050hz,1Channel,8bits

FreeUEF spits out a file at peak -2.499 / 75%, Mono,44kHz,344Kbps ...
I can't quite follow that.

Are you saying that you play the tape and record it in WaveLab and then convert WaveLab's output with dbPowerAmp? (Is that conversion step necessary? I haven't been doing that.)

What do you do with the WAV file that's output by dbPowerAmp? Do you feed it into CSWViewer to convert it to CSW?

Can you also/instead feed the WAV file output by dbPowerAmp into a program that converts it to UEF? Which program? makeuef? What's the difference between makeuef and makeuefam? Does one output UEFhq as opposed to plain UEF?

Sorry for all the questions, but you are the tapemaster, you know!

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue May 19, 2015 8:39 am

I had similar issue about understanding that post a while back (Plus I use a mac so software is different anyway). On my todo list to sort through my tapes. I guess it all makes perfect sense when you have been trying ever option know to man, women or beast for 10 years.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Tue May 19, 2015 1:55 pm

lurkio wrote:play the tape and record it in WaveLab and then convert WaveLab's output with dbPowerAmp? (Is that conversion step necessary? I haven't been doing that.)

What do you do with the WAV file that's output by dbPowerAmp? Do you feed it into CSWViewer to convert it to CSW?

Can you also/instead feed the WAV file output by dbPowerAmp into a program that converts it to UEF? Which program? makeuef? What's the difference between makeuef and makeuefam? Does one output UEFhq as opposed to plain UEF?

Sorry for all the questions, but you are the tapemaster, you know!
yes, I get your drift, my notes where on about 10 loose bits of paper, so that info was just a quick 'get it down' before I loose them all :oops:

I now only use NCH Switch as dbPowerAmp seems to have went a bit wonky. I record in full CD /Stereo.WAV as then I can use either the Left or Right channel depending on which is better, I also have a 'Save As' Mix-6, which combines both channels to mono and reduces the volume, as just Mix0 gives +9db [-X WaveLab6 saving to .RAW is fine, but saving straight to .WAV the CSW proggy does not like them for some weird reason (not M$oft complient :-k ) so have to use NCH Switch to convert the .RAW to .WAV and then CSW proggy likes.

So once I have 3 versions (left /right /mix-6), I then throw these Mono.WAV files into the CSW viewer proggy, and see which is best /works [-o<

makeuefam is the basic converter with no gaps between files stored and utter useless for weird blocks
makeuef needs a .CSW file so can cope with gaps /weird blocks /madness :lol:
ImageImageImage

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Thu May 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Col, thanks for the info. I might give some of your methods a go on one of my more uncooperative tapes.
Elminster wrote:I use a mac so software is different
I often use Macs too, but they're old, and I haven't tried recording Beeb tapes with them yet. Do you play the audio into the "digital/analog" audio line-in port? What software do you use?

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu May 21, 2015 11:20 pm

lurkio wrote:Col, thanks for the info. I might give some of your methods a go on one of my more uncooperative tapes.
Elminster wrote:I use a mac so software is different
I often use Macs too, but they're old, and I haven't tried recording Beeb tapes with them yet. Do you play the audio into the "digital/analog" audio line-in port? What software do you use?
I used to use Garageband until Apple messed about with it. Currently I am cheating using makeuefam on Windoze under VMFusion. Once I have gone through all ym tapes that eitehr wont easy record under makeuef, and arent already on the archive I will then go look for new Mac software.

As it happens I actually did my first tape recording for years today. Using a combination of makeuefam and 2 different tape players, using analog in on the Mac. Very old school at present.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri May 22, 2015 7:14 pm

I have bought almost no software but had ended up with loads of tapes and discs that came with one of my 8 machines.

I have finally got around to cataloguing them all. There are 84, all originals, not the biggest collection but not bad as I have bought only 10. Next steps is to go through here and STH and check what has already been archived. I have at least 8 education titles but I think these have probably already been done. Once checked they are archived i can get rid of most of them that I dont need on 'for sale'.

Hopefully some uploads to follow soon.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri May 22, 2015 7:52 pm

Elminster wrote:ended up with loads of tapes and discs that came with one of my 8 machines. I have finally got around to cataloguing them all. There are 84, all originals
Sounds promising! This might be useful to you: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... f=2&t=9322

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri May 22, 2015 9:01 pm

I don't think anything is particularly rare so I am not expecting to have to archive much. Which is good as never enough time.

Edit: Thanks BTW, had missed that post. Will check STH, stardot archive and Flax lists.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri May 22, 2015 9:25 pm

lurkio wrote:
Elminster wrote:ended up with loads of tapes and discs that came with one of my 8 machines. I have finally got around to cataloguing them all. There are 84, all originals
Sounds promising! This might be useful to you: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... f=2&t=9322
In fact the only one I have educationwise that doesn't appear on Flax or *. archive is

Calisto Biology, which you mentioned back in this post

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... vel#p89047