FS: Slogger PCBs: Pegasus, Click, Stop Press etc

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
walkerworks

Re: FS: Slogger PCBs: Pegasus, Click, Stop Press etc

Post by walkerworks » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:54 am

Hi, I'm wondering if there is still a Stop Press 64 board available? I had an SP64 that I used in the early days of the Electron User Group and if I can get one built I'd like to work through an old box of discs with pages and fonts from that era.
Thanks.

Derek

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:05 pm

walkerworks wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:54 am
I had an SP64 that I used in the early days of the Electron User Group and if I can get one built I'd like to work through an old box of discs with pages and fonts from that era.
I'm not aware of any of the boards being built and working, certainly no evidence of this on the forum. I believe they also require a specific OS 3.10 (similar to MRB OS 3.00?) which seems to be lost to time.

What do you remember about them? Was all the software in ROM, how was it started? Or was a system disc required to start it? I'm interested in seeing any original SP64 discs archived for emulation purposes.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:31 pm

Slogger appear to have produced various different versions of the PCBs that were used in their products. At least some of the various PCBs that came from the haul that Arcadian had were either early versions with errors, had errors due to manufacturing problems or were versions that had different circuitry compared to known working units that were sold.

The lack of available documentation also makes it difficult to get some of these boards working.

Of all of them, the Slogger Electron Joystick Interface, the Plus 2 and the Pegasus have the most information available, so it’s possible to get these boards operational.

Mark

walkerworks

Post by walkerworks » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:46 pm

My memory is a bit hazy about the SP64 (and other Electron kit!). I spent some time this morning looking through an old box of drawings and came across these two drawings - they're not labelled but I suspect that they may be drawings I took from the board I had. I see the chip count doesn't tally to the photo on this thread but it could be version differences. If the drawing can be compared to a board it'll show whether it's SP64 or not.

I had a quick look at my discs and they only contain data so I don't think the program started from disc, I also have some Stop Press ROMs but I need to check to see if they're slogger or AMX - I'll report back.

I'm still working through my disc collection so I'll also look out for the OS3.10 ROM.

Derek
Attachments
Possibly_SP64_cct_diagram.jpg
SP64_board_size.jpg

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:19 pm

walkerworks wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:46 pm
I had a quick look at my discs and they only contain data so I don't think the program started from disc, I also have some Stop Press ROMs but I need to check to see if they're slogger or AMX - I'll report back.

I'm still working through my disc collection so I'll also look out for the OS3.10 ROM.
We already have a couple of versions of SP64 ROMs, but not sure whether they are from the internal board or cartridge version. Your circuit diagram could prove useful, it shows a 6522 which would be for the userport mouse.

Here's MAME running an Electron with MRB, ROMBOX+, and what I think is the SP64 cartridge:
0081.png
But have no idea how to start it!

Any additional resources you may have will be much appreciated.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

walkerworks

Post by walkerworks » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:19 pm

After rummaging through half a dozen boxes I found a few things that might help:

The above diagram is not the sp64 but Sloggers plus 2!,

I found the SP64 !boot disc. So it does boot from a disc - this is for the Electron but worth a go.

I found issue 8 of EUG where I wrote a review of SP64, a bit cringe worthy but it has a few hints and tips.

The Stop Press ROMs I have are AMX - could you point me in the right direction to where can I find the SP64 ROMs?

Derek
Attachments
SP64.zip
(2.06 MiB) Downloaded 10 times

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:30 pm

walkerworks wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:19 pm
The above diagram is not the sp64 but Sloggers plus 2!,

I found the SP64 !boot disc. So it does boot from a disc - this is for the Electron but worth a go.

I found issue 8 of EUG where I wrote a review of SP64, a bit cringe worthy but it has a few hints and tips.
Hi Derek

You may want to put that Slogger Plus 2 schematic in a compressed zip file, then upload it to the Slogger Plus 2 thread here :wink:

Thanks for the SP64 boot disk and the review =D>

Mark

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:49 pm

walkerworks wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:19 pm

The Stop Press ROMs I have are AMX - could you point me in the right direction to where can I find the SP64 ROMs?
Thanks for the elusive boot disc, it adds another piece to the puzzle =D> It didn't work in my emulation (yet), failing on commands *pMOUSE, *pDE, etc., but these are present in the ROM so I now have something to work with.

Attached the ROMs, that originally came from viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11795 with additional info at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2378
Attachments
sp64_roms.zip
(206.7 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
- Nigel

walkerworks

Post by walkerworks » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks for the links and ROMs. :D

Derek

walkerworks

Post by walkerworks » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Just noticed on this page:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2378&p=17264&hilit=slogger#p17264

In the photo slogger_roms_5.jpg has an EPROM labelled OS3.10 could this be the missing MRB OS? Or has this been checked out already? If not can it be tracked down..

Derek

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:09 pm

walkerworks wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 pm
In the photo slogger_roms_5.jpg has an EPROM labelled OS3.10 could this be the missing MRB OS? Or has this been checked out already? If not can it be tracked down..
Well spotted, not sure how I missed that. Many of the dumps in this collection are mislabelled so not obvious without close inspection. Took me over two years to discover the Master Click ROMs amongst them.

I've attached the four versions of OS3.00 from that collection, and conclude the following:
- OS-3.00-alt1 differs slightly from alt2, haven't investigated further.
- OS-3.00-alt2 is what I use in MRB emulation so considered good 3.00.
- OS-3.00-alt3 looks like a bad dump.
- OS-3.00-alt4 contains the string OS 3.10, not yet tested but looks promising!

Edit: Definitely something to work with here:
0000.png
Attachments
OS-3.00-alt.zip
(49.77 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
- Nigel