STH members eBay advice - buying & selling!

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
retroclinic

Re: STH members eBay advice - buying & selling!

Post by retroclinic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:10 am

Problem is, for years now, buyers CANNOT get negative feedback, only sellers. So a buyer can mess you about, and the sellers can't do jack about it. They can report the buyer, but eBay really gives very little if any toss as long as they're making their $$$.

guddler

Post by guddler » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:43 am

Have to admit I've not sold anything through eBay for many years now pretty much for that reason. Most of my stuff just goes down the tip now as I just can't be doing with the hassle. I'm not on FB either but when I was giving stuff away through groups on there, that wasn't even worth the effort. Amazing how much people can mess you about even when stuff is free.

Personally I don't get how people can be like it. To me it's simple. You want it, you buy it, you pay for it straight away and you accept the consequences of your actions if you later decide you didn't really want it or found it cheaper elsewhere etc., etc. But I guess I (we?) am just from a different time now :lol:

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:55 pm

On the question of a buyer winning and never paying up seems to be it is high time auctions, including eBay were subject to non-repudiation by buyers, i.e. if you win an auction you should be forced to pay whether you have changed your mind on wanting the item or not. Not only would this make things easier for genuine sellers fed up with unreliable buyers it would also work as a significant disincentive to shill bidding. If each time the shill bidder was the winner the system forced the transaction to complete, including fees, it would not be such an attractive strategy.

This would also be easy enough for eBay to do. All it would need is to stop allowing you to bid on the promise of paying later but insist that all bids are covered by funds in your paypal account. If you win, the funds are automatically reserved for paying the seller and cannot be used for anything else.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:04 pm

Coeus wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:55 pm
On the question of a buyer winning and never paying up seems to be it is high time auctions, including eBay were subject to non-repudiation by buyers, i.e. if you win an auction you should be forced to pay whether you have changed your mind on wanting the item or not. Not only would this make things easier for genuine sellers fed up with unreliable buyers it would also work as a significant disincentive to shill bidding. If each time the shill bidder was the winner the system forced the transaction to complete, including fees, it would not be such an attractive strategy.

This would also be easy enough for eBay to do. All it would need is to stop allowing you to bid on the promise of paying later but insist that all bids are covered by funds in your paypal account. If you win, the funds are automatically reserved for paying the seller and cannot be used for anything else.
Hmm, and how would that work for people who don't sell much, and so don't have any PayPal balance?
Also eBay and PayPal are suppose to be separate companies now... So eBay can't just take money from PayPal...

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:41 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:04 pm
Hmm, and how would that work for people who don't sell much, and so don't have any PayPal balance?
Also eBay and PayPal are suppose to be separate companies now... So eBay can't just take money from PayPal...
The idea didn't originally come from PayPal. If you go to buy fuel at a "pay at the pump" on a payment card the pump sticks in an authorisation for £99 to the card issuer, to make sure you have the means to pay before giving you the fuel, and then submits the final transaction amount and the end when it knows how much you've had. The money remains yours until you complete the transaction but the process has reserved £99 of your money until the transaction completes to guarantee is can complete.

What is needed is the same for auctions. So whether by PayPal or via a payment card, the idea is the same - bidding needs to reserve some of your money for settlement and if you win, settlement is automatic. If you loose, the reserve on that money is cancelled.
Last edited by Coeus on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Wouldnt work, you have the internet purchasing laws. ebay/paypal would be breaking the law if they didnt let you change your mind within two weeks of purchase.

The law doesnt apply to buying from an individual, but I am not sure that it wouldnt apply if that individual was selling via ebay. Perhaps a question for the legal team.

Edit: Cant remember can you tell if a seller is an individual or a company if they dont tell you on ebay?
Last edited by Elminster on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:56 pm

Coeus wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:41 pm
The idea didn't originally come from PayPal. If you go to buy fuel at a "pay at the pump" on a payment card the pump sticks in an authorisation for £99 to the card issuer, to make sure you have the means to pay before giving you the fuel, and then submits the final transaction amount and the end when it knows how much you've had. The money remains yours until you complete the transaction but the process has reserved £99 of your money until the transaction completes to guarantee is can complete.
Yeah, but if instead you press the "pay at kiosk" button, no payment details are given, the person activating the pump in the kiosk has no way to know how you are paying, let alone if you have enough funds or enough credit.

Also, your arrangement may mess up the cash on collection that applies for some local pick-up items.

eBay is an online variation of a real physical auction house, in those (for normal items) you can bid without giving them your payment details.

I understand your frustration, but I don't think eBay will change anytime soon.

Mark

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Elminster wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:57 pm
Edit: Cant remember can you tell if a seller is an individual or a company if they dont tell you on ebay?
"Registered businesses" list their details at the bottom of the item details page. But not all businesses register on eBay as a business. I don't know if eBay decides based on the amount that you sell. I know some individuals have complained when eBay has decided to "try to class them" as business sellers.

Mark

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:31 pm

think will just go with Guzzlers answer, bin it less hassle :D

Sold my Vax hoover again, got £92 for it again (only paid £87 :lol: )
they said thanks, so I got use of a rubbish (no pun intended) hoover for 2 month!
Then I got an extra head for it as one wheel fell off (under guarantee), sold that broken one for £16 8)

then yesterday, sold a brand new vision box remote with full clear pictures, now he says bought wrong one as code had xxx-02 on mine , his xxx-01 , that will just be Mk /batch :roll:

honestly, am I on the wrong planet with all these idiot's / no common sense :shock:
ImageImageImage