BeebSID

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
dominicbeesley

Re: BeebSID

Post by dominicbeesley » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:33 pm

Thanks Dave,

I just realised, I forgot to post up the .ssd

Here it is. On a Master / BBC it should play using the original Mode 7 colourful player on an Elk it falls back on the simplified Mode 6 player.

It is possible to run the simplified player on the Beeb just run *SIDPELK

I'll look at making a proper build system for this and changing the way the core sid mangler works (at present it inserts dummy instructions where it finds ST* LD* instructions to/from original c64 SID addresses and redirects to the BBC sid addresses _and_ stores a copy in memory - right in the middle of the mode 6 screen which is what the flickery dots are all about. I need to delve into the depths of the conversion routines - most of which were not written by me - to move the addresses to something that doesn't clash. I'll try and get something a bit more interesting on the screen too.

D
Attachments
test-20181229.zip
(26.06 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:26 pm

dominicbeesley wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:33 pm
I just realised, I forgot to post up the .ssd
Works in MAME too, with Plus1/Pegasus400/AP5/BeebSID, though AP5 is not yet in a public release.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Leew

Post by Leew » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:13 pm

dominicbeesley wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:09 pm
I can confirm it _can_ be done. I've finally done something with my AP5!

Here you go: https://youtu.be/CclLIeZl9pgA

If there's a genuine amount of interest I can spend a few hours making a nicer player/menu. If not I can bundle up my stuff and stick it on GitHub for Elk enthusiasts...

D
Excellent =D> =D> I need to get me a BeebSID and an AP5... The Electron never sounded so good :D

Definitely interested in a menu...
daveejhitchins wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:32 am

Am I a little biased :-k I need to get a second batch of AP5s on the go . . .

Dave H :D
Soon as the AP5's are ready Dave, i'll be first on the list :D :D

Lee
Lee W
------------
>Life without books would be unbearable<

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:32 pm

Here's a whole bunch more test ssds. I've not had time to make sure that all the sids actually play but the ones that do should play on an Elk, BBC B or Master with a SID on the 1MHz bus - they all require PAGE <=1900 though

If you want to see the Elk player (dig those funky fonts!) but don't have an Elk just *SIDPELK - you'll get the Elk player but smoother!

D
Attachments
stardot-20190107.zip
(375.6 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:55 pm

I've added another thread over in Retro Software for the build system so anyone can create their own SID SSDs

D

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi,

I don't know if the use the same SID chip but,,,

Can anyone create a .ssd of this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks3RNLNvpCg

Greetings, Wim... :-)

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:33 pm

That looks to be an Atari tune so not workable with the SID

D

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:38 pm

Ok thanks, just asking... :-D

Greetings, Wim... :-)

Boydie

Post by Boydie » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 am

My bare board arrived yesterday (thanks GadgetUK164).

Can anyone confirm whether the SWinSIDs available on Ebay work correctly with it these days? In the past, results seem to have been mixed...
Are any mods required to use one?

I do have a non-working C64 that I can cannibalise if needs be, but I’d rather fix that than sacrifice it.
Last edited by Boydie on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leew

Post by Leew » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:55 am

Boydie wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 am

Can anyone confirm whether the SWinSIDs available on Ebay work correctly with it these days? In the past, results seem to have been mixed...

I do have a non-working C64 that I can cannibalise if needs be, but I rather fix that than sacrifice it.
I have started building my board, but I am still waiting for my nano SwinSIDs to arrive. I ordered 2 from Australia from kelliejh2014 on eBay. I have had some other C64 bits off her and seemed good quality and haven't had any problems. Unfortunately though she doesn't have any more.

There are a few other sellers on eBay in US, Italy, Netherlands with listings, but don't know if they are any good.

I have 2 C64s that both work fine but I don't want to blow any original SIDs if I get something wrong building the board up.

Hopefully my swinSIDs should arrive next week and I can let you know how I get on :-)
Lee W
------------
>Life without books would be unbearable<

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:29 am

I got one from Italy a few years back (don't know if its the same guy selling them now) and it works well and seems well made. It is what I use on my board.

D

GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:58 pm

Boydie wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 am

I do have a non-working C64 that I can cannibalise if needs be, but I’d rather fix that than sacrifice it.
Thanks for letting me know =D Yes, the Nano SwinSID's on eBay work fine with it! That's what I used in my video.
Retro Gaming Mods & Repairs - My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164