First refurbishment steps with an A410 of unknown heritage

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
gfoot

First refurbishment steps with an A410 of unknown heritage

Post by gfoot »

Are there any refurbishments that should be done to an old A410 as a matter of course, before testing whether it works? If it were a BBC Micro then I'd be changing the power supply capacitors, for example, before offering it any power, but after that I'd plug it in and see what works and what doesn't in practice. Are there similar steps that must be done to an Archimedes before trying it out?

I also have an A3000 but there's no doubt about what needs repairing first on that one!
IanJeffray

Re: First refurbishment steps with an A410 of unknown heritage

Post by IanJeffray »

Nope. Just go for it.

If you're really suspicious - if there's any kind of physical damage on the board / etc - I tend to just run the board 'bare' by supplying 5V alone from a current limited lab supply set to about 1.5A limit. If the board draws more than that, you've got an issue and turn off right away.
IanS

Post by IanS »

gfoot wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:39 pm
plug it in and see what works and what doesn't
I'd do this. Probably worth checking the supply voltages before connecting the supply back onto the motherboard.

(Does it need a memory upgrade viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21765 ?)

I assume it's an A410/1, as A410's were never released, afaik.
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

That's great, thanks both. Yes it is an A410/1. I don't know much about the different revisions - I always wanted an Archimedes but they were too expensive when I was young, so this will be my first proper experience with one.
IanS

Post by IanS »

Post some pictures, it may help to have other sets of eyes look at it.

Even if you've replaced the batteries, it will still need the settings reset by holding DEL during power-on (keep it held until you see a red border on the screen). Without batteries fitted, you'll need to do the DEL power-on every time you switch it on.
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

IanS wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:52 pm
Post some pictures, it may help to have other sets of eyes look at it.
I'll post some pictures at some point - it seems in very good condition internally though - very clean, no dust/dirt/corrosion. Hopefully it will work fine when I get it hooked up to the right peripherals. Unfortunately the keyboard I got must be for a more recent model, as it doesn't have a mouse port.
Even if you've replaced the batteries, it will still need the settings reset by holding DEL during power-on (keep it held until you see a red border on the screen). Without batteries fitted, you'll need to do the DEL power-on every time you switch it on.
Good to know, thanks!
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

gfoot wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:55 pm
the keyboard I got must be for a more recent model, as it doesn't have a mouse port.
The only Acorn branded keyboard without a mouse port is a RiscPC/A7000 keyboard, and it's a PS/2 interface, not suitable for an A400 series.
You can use it with one of these though http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/indiv ... JE-KBE-PS2
IanS

Post by IanS »

IanJeffray wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:25 pm
You can use it with one of these though http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/indiv ... JE-KBE-PS2
You can probably DIY one for significantly less money - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9334
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

IanJeffray wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:25 pm
The only Acorn branded keyboard without a mouse port is a RiscPC/A7000 keyboard, and it's a PS/2 interface, not suitable for an A400 series.
Ah yes, that's annoying, the pin arrangements are similar and I didn't realise it wasn't right. I saw the PS/2 adapters before, but would much prefer an authentic keyboard with all the right keys in the right places. I already have a mouse too that I want to use.

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”