Related forum: adventures

BeebMaster

Re: Moving data between PCs and RiscOS machines

Post by BeebMaster »

Looks like I'm in!
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

That previous post was done on RISC PC, I have to use a very old version to run it on RISC OS 3.70, nothing has been added or upgraded recently. But it didn't work earlier, clicking login brought up the cookie thing, but there was no "I accept" link. I was about to try to take a screenshot of it, when it let me log in! But that was from clicking on "post a reply" rather than "log in".
21-10-21-6.png
21-10-21-7.png
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

The behaviour seems to be that clicking login doesn't work, getting stuck at the cookie page, but clicking post a reply goes straight to the login page. I've just tried that now. In fact I found I couldn't log out on the RISC PC, even by a power-off restart, the forum always loaded with me being logged in! There's no way to log out because the drop-down menu next to username doesn't appear in my version of Netsurf, and clicking on username goes straight to the control panel, but there is no logout link anywhere there. I had to use the delete cookies option instead.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Ooo look! (Never believe "it won't work on your ancient kit, mate"!)
Attachments
scrn0.png
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

jms2 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:29 pm
I also installed Sambaserver, but whilst it looks great and seems to work on the RISC OS side, I was unable to find anything on my Windows 10 PC.

Win10 enforces a newer, more secure version of SMB. Do you have a NAS or Linux host you could try accessing?
jms2

Post by jms2 »

baz4096 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:21 pm
Win10 enforces a newer, more secure version of SMB. Do you have a NAS or Linux host you could try accessing?
I have a Pi, but that would remove the convenience factor of being able to drag and drop stuff straight from my laptop. I actually tried using optionalfeatures.exe to install the older version of SMB but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I can try setting up an FTP site on the PC instead, as I have FTPc working on the RiscPC.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

BeebMaster wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:26 pm
The behaviour seems to be that clicking login doesn't work, getting stuck at the cookie page, but clicking post a reply goes straight to the login page.
Well done - I wouldn't have thought of that!
jms2

Post by jms2 »

I have set up an FTP site on Windows 10 (it was pretty easy, by following an online guide), but now I don't know how to "find" it in FTPc. What would I type as the site address? The setup guide I used doesn't make any reference to how to find the thing you've just created!

I called my FTP site "WindowsLaptop" but !FTPc does not find this, nor does it find ftp.windowslaptop. I also tried to find the IP address of the laptop on the network, but this didn't work either.

I really don't know what I'm doing here, so any tips would be appreciated!
jms2

Post by jms2 »

BeebMaster wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:48 pm
Ooo look! (Never believe "it won't work on your ancient kit, mate"!)
I actually feel a bit justified by how hilariously slow it is. My wife likes to remind me that back in about 1995 she asked me about the Internet, and I said it was quite interesting but would never catch on. At the time, I was accessing FTP sites on 486 machines at university, and the whole experience was very slow and basically pointless. I couldn't see how a graphical web could possibly be usable.

The StrongArm RiscPC I have been messing around with today is probably a bit more powerful than those 486s, and I'm connecting via fast broadband yet the experience is glacial - even though Stardot is not a demanding site. I think this shows that my opinion was quite sensible! But wrong of course; I don't think I knew about Moore's Law at the time.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

jms2 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:58 pm
I have set up an FTP site on Windows 10 (it was pretty easy, by following an online guide), but now I don't know how to "find" it in FTPc. What would I type as the site address?
In a Windows cmd prompt, type "ipconfig". That'll spew a load of output - you want to pick the "IPv4" address that corresponds to your primary Windows network adptor. It'll probably start 192.168.x.y
jms2

Post by jms2 »

That's what I did. On !FTPc I got the message "Connecting" but the process did not progress beyond that point.

I guess I must have some security setting wrong at the Windows end. I made the necessary changes to the firewall and I think I set up permissions for anonymous users, turned off SSL etc.

I also tried accessing the site from the laptop itself by just using a File Explorer window and typing ftp://192.168.058 as the address. I don't know whether this would be expected to work or not, but it doesn't - I get a window saying "either the server does not allow anonymous logins or the email address was not accepted". If I try logging on anonymously and specifying my email address, this doesn't work.
davidb

Post by davidb »

You could try running an FTP server temporarily on the RiscPC instead.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

I didn't realise that was an option, but now you've suggested it I'll have a google to see how its done, thanks.

EDIT: it worked! I found !FTPs here: http://www.rosery.net/riscos... and now I can transfer stuff easily. It's great.
Thanks for the help everyone.

EDIT2: I spoke too soon. :cry: The RiscPC crashed while running a game, and now having rebooted it and re-loaded !FTPs, the Windows PC can no longer get access.
Last edited by jms2 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

davidb wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:39 pm
You could try running an FTP server temporarily on the RiscPC instead.
I last used Chris Poole's DeltaNet server, but I can't find a link for that just now. There's this though : http://www.rosery.net/riscos/

Or !WebJames HTTP server

Or !SMBServer SMB server.

Or !Moonfish NFS server.

Or.... yeah, there's plenty options...
jms2

Post by jms2 »

This is so frustrating... !FTPs was working perfectly, but now I can't access it at all from Windows. Everything seems to be running as normal at the Risc OS end.

You have to define a user called "root" in !FTPs, and I gave this a password "rpc", so I'm using the following to access it in a File Explorer window:

ftp://root:rpc@192.168.0.42/

... which worked perfectly the first time I tried it. Now I get "Windows cannot access this folder". I have rebooted both machines.

I'd try one of the other solutions instead, but I get the feeling that all of them potentially work, it's the setup which is the tricky part.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

That's interesting - by using the command line ftp client, I see that I am able to log in OK. It's just that the "dir" command isn't recognised.
Screenshot 2021-10-25 101045.jpg
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

jms2 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:11 am
That's interesting - by using the command line ftp client, I see that I am able to log in OK. It's just that the "dir" command isn't recognised.
Try "ls" rather than "dir"
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Thanks but I have managed to fix it, by wiping !FTPs completely, reinstalling it and reconfiguring it. Now I can get access again.

I think that the previous installation of !FTPs must have got corrupted in some strange way. It still appeared to be working, and certainly wasn't generating any errors. But it's operation was interrupted by a heavy crash of the game I was playing, and I guess this must have messed something up.
davidb

Post by davidb »

jms2 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:46 am
I think that the previous installation of !FTPs must have got corrupted in some strange way. It still appeared to be working, and certainly wasn't generating any errors. But it's operation was interrupted by a heavy crash of the game I was playing, and I guess this must have messed something up.
I would suggest closing FTPs when you don't need it running. According to this post on the ROOL forum, it's quite CPU intensive.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Yes, I realised that leaving it running was a bad idea.

I also discovered that if you drag a file into the FTP window with a name that is too long for Risc OS, nasty things happen.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I use !Sunfish to access external shares, but I think it's only for Linux shares. It works very well. I haven't actually got Moonfish to work yet. It would have been good to be able to share some of the RPC hard drive, but I can manage by doing it in reverse, ie. have the Linux drive shared so I can access it on the RISC PC. Sunfish can cope with long filenames, and I can export the Sunfish share with the Level 4 file server so that I can see these files on Beebs. Most of the time the long filenames work OK even on Beebs (as long as you don't overflow the Econet data block with extremely long file names!) although it jumbles up the formatting of *CAT etc which expects 10 characters.
Soruk

Post by Soruk »

timw wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:58 am
BeebMaster wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:11 pm
...and I can't mount my DRIVE_C !PCEm file in Linux at all, just get the old faithful:
mount wrote:mount: /media/mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on Drive_C, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
I tried it with my PC card drive_c DOSDisc file - it works, but you have to mount with an offset (or extract the partition), because the image includes the partition table. file can tell you the sector offset:

Code: Select all

file drive_c 
drive_c: DOS/MBR boot sector MS-MBR,D0S version 3.3-7.0 english at offset 0x8b "Invalid partition table" at offset 0xa3 "Error loading operating system" at offset 0xc2 "Missing operating system", created with driveID 0x81 at 18:13:23; partition 1 : ID=0x6, active, start-CHS (0x0,1,1), end-CHS (0x2fe,5,17), startsector 17, 78217 sectors

dd if=./drive_c of=./drive_c1 bs=512 skip=17
78217+0 records in
78217+0 records out
40047104 bytes (40 MB, 38 MiB) copied, 8.09916 s, 4.9 MB/s

file drive_c1 
drive_c1: DOS/MBR boot sector, code offset 0x3c+2, OEM-ID "MSDOS5.0", sectors/cluster 4, root entries 512, Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/FAT 77, sectors/track 17, heads 6, hidden sectors 17, sectors 78217 (volumes > 32 MB) , serial number 0x23699022, label: "MS-DOS_5   ", FAT (16 bit)
A better (and arguably cleaner) option, if your version of losetup supports it, is the -P option. This scans for partitions and creates, in addition to (for example) /dev/loop0, but also /dev/loop0p1, /dev/loop0p2 etc as appropriate. Then just mount the partition of the loop device. Far easier than trying to calculate offsets.
Matrix Brandy BASIC VI (work in progress)

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”