Acorn music 500 need help

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
Back2skooldaze

Acorn music 500 need help

Post by Back2skooldaze » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:58 pm

hi I've just bought an acorn music 500 unit. I've got a patched room and m5000-4 release 5. I've not got my midi cable yet which will have a 3.5mm socket so I can hook the m500 to my soundboard so I can listen to jukebox music pieces.
I'm totally new to this so before I go on can someone tell me without a midi cable connected to the out port on the m500 am I supposed to hear sounds from the bbcs internal speaker ?
The reason I ask is when the m500 arrived the power cord had been cut off so I bought a new cord with moulded plug and after connecting up I'm not hearing anything via bbc internal speaker?
Also when loading the m5000-4 I can successfully load jukebox (f9) and choose a piece of music but not sure if its playing?
I've googled loads on m5000 and m500 manuals to operate the unit but I can't do anything apart from load jukebox.
If I type something choosing notepad %_ I get mistake if I type "retgate" I get ! Extra string
There isn't much else I can do with the software. I know if I choose a piece of music it loads then %_ appears then I press tab then press return on Run Program and the %_ disappears so presuming the title is playing ?
I'm using the m500 on a bbc model b and it loads on master but not checked if the mod has been done under the board but for now I'm on bbc model b.
Please can someone get me going and hopefully tell me to do a command in the software to see if I can move further.
Thank you

Artemis

Re: Acorn music 500 need help

Post by Artemis » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Hello,

The Music 500/5000 does not send any audio to the BBC’s internal speaker, you will need to connect a cable from the 5 pin Din socket on the Music 500 to your mixing desk/ amplifier/ speakers.

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:48 pm

Also, not a midi output from the 5-pin connector, it's 5-pin audio. Pin 3 = left, Pin 5 = right, pin 2 = ground.

d.

Back2skooldaze

Post by Back2skooldaze » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:43 pm

Hi thank you for your replies.
Ive finally got the m500 connected to a soundboard and its working great :)
I got the manual with the m500 so looking in to how to use the bbc keyboard to make sounds.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”