WeServe catalogue, 15th March 1991

avoid work duplication! collaborate on the archival of acorn literature!
SimonSideburns

WeServe catalogue, 15th March 1991

Post by SimonSideburns » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:30 pm

I've been sorting out a metal shed at the bottom of our garden, and getting stuff out in order to be able to insulate it somewhat as it currently suffers from some condensation issues.

Part of this tidyup is replacing cardboard boxes (that have gone soft and mouldy) with plastic crates, and chucking away stuff that is too far gone to be of use or that we've now decided we no longer need/want.

Anyhow, some of my 'nerdy stuff' as the wife calls it has been uncovered, and I found a catalogue from the company that I purchased some stuff from back in 1991 or so, and I thought I'd share it with you.

File now scanned (see new reply) and link pasted below. Which isn't as easy as I thought it was going to be, as I'm a bit rusty when it comes to scanning pages, so I'll get around to it as soon as I can, but in the meantime, I thought I'd share some prices from the magazine, so give me some ideas what you're looking for and I'll read through and reply with prices for your items.

Here's the list of things I bought from them after saving my hard earned YTS wages.

Page 16, BBC Joysticks section - Ref: BJVOLT3T Voltmace Delta 3B Twin BBC Joystick pa.. 17.35 19.95
Page 14, BBC B/Master/Compact Accessories section - Ref: BASIDEWA ATPL Sideways ROM Board for BBC 34.74 39.99
Page 38, Printers section - Ref: PTLX400 Epson LX400 9pin 150/25cps NLQ 3k Buf 126.00 144.00

Something of interest maybe: In the BBC Spares (also see IC's) section it lists four types of key switches:

P.E.D. (black +hole)
SMK (black straight)
Futaba (white)
Wong (black &angled)

All at 1.50 each (ex. VAT) which makes them 1.73 each (inc. VAT)

One last thing, an Acorn Domesday Interactive Video system will set you back a whopping 3695.01 (ex. VAT) which is 4249.26 (inc)!

Here's the link to the file on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FDB7-4 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by SimonSideburns on Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!

SimonSideburns

Re: WeServe catalogue, 15th March 1991

Post by SimonSideburns » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:59 pm

Here's the PDF of the catalogue.

Because it is A4 folded into an A5 booklet, rather than scan each page separately I took the (rusty) staples out, placed them in my scanner's multi-sheet feeder and fed them through automatically, saving the results directly as a PDF file. While that saves me time, it doesn't create a very easy to follow document (as in the pages aren't in a normal reading order). They would, however, print in a booklet order if your printer has duplex operation.

I was trying to find a way to rearrange the pages but so far I'm out of luck. I don't have access to Acrobat, and other programs I've opened the PDF file in aren't allowing me to edit the pages, nor create an A5 booklet out of them.

I tried to attach the file here, but at 35Mb or so I was politely told the attachment was too big, so here's a link to the file on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FDB7-4 ... sp=sharing

If nothing else it's interesting to see what sort of items were available back in 1991.

scruss

Post by scruss » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:40 pm

Thanks! I can run it through Scan Tailor to properly paginate it. Might not get to it immediately.

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:19 pm

I'd never heard of Scan Tailor before, and now I know why.

Edit: I've now found an executable, so I'm going to have a look at the software myself. I tried to find an executable of the program so I could have a look at it myself, but even though I downloaded a zip file through Github the files were just source files, etc., and I don't have a compiler, so that was the end of that!

I look forward to you taking a look at it.

Thanks in advance.

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:58 pm

I had a look at ScanTailor and it's very good. My only concern is that somehow the original 35Mb PDF file (which I had to go online and get converted to separate JPG files to save me scanning it again) once put through ScanTailor changed into a 155Mb PDF but now in the right page order.

I'm not sure what setting in ScanTailor I might need to change, but I'll look at it again at some point and hopefully reduce the file size.

scruss

Post by scruss » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:57 am

Here y'go: WeServe Catalogue (UK) - 15 March 1991. Thank you for scanning it!

The file's about 10 MB now, before the Internet Archive does its magic OCR/recompression on it. I only kept colour on the front and back cover. There was a blue line on the IFC, but I don't think much is lost by clipping that. The tricky part was writing a script to reorder that pages, as Scan Tailor had split them into logical rather than useful page numbers. So the file sequence was really pages 44, 1, 2, 43, 42, 3, 4, … 23. Fun stuff!

Update: and here's the file after IA magic: WeServe Catalogue (UK) - 15 March 1991. 4.4 MB, or roughly 100K per page.

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:05 pm

That's fabulous. Really appreciated.

And now it's available in the Internet Archive for future generations to view and see what crazy prices things were back in the still relatively early days of the IBM PC.

scruss

Post by scruss » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:20 pm

No probs — it was fun (mostly). I'd manually reordered smaller booklets before, but shuffling 44 pages would've been too much of a chore. Now at least I have a script that will help reorder pages. The intermediate files can get a bit huge when dealing with scans, but Internet Archive's workflow cleans up almost everything.

Those prices are kind of special, aren't they? Round about that time I'd recently bought a hard drive, extra RAM and a rather nice modem for my computer. ISTR it being around £1200, all in. A friend brought me back a copy of (American) Computer Shopper that summer, and seeing the price difference really hurt.

Return to “scanning of books, magazines, ads and letters”