Introduction

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
jugganaut

Introduction

Post by jugganaut » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi there,

I am new to the forum so wanted to introduce myself. My first computer was our family's Electron which we got when I was 5-6 in 1984 I believe. I was still using it fairly regularly in to my teens in the early '90s when I got a Sega Master System at which point it got put to one side pretty much. When I got a bit older I got into PCs, I built my first Pentium 1 machine with my friends help from 2nd hand components around 2000 (I also had the ubiquitous Playstation for console gaming) and have been into building/fixing PCs since then.

My 11yo son is really into gaming, including vintage consoles. Both him and his elder brother have gaming PCs (that I built). We also have 2 x Xboxes, 2 x PS4s, 2 x PS3s, 2 x Switches plus a Switch Lite (mine) and a WiiU as well as my old original Playstation and Mega Drive and a Pikachu N64 we bought a couple of years back (all currently connected to TVs and useable). We also have a drawer full of various DSes, probably 6/7 in all.I was telling him about my old Electron. I downloaded one of the emulators on the PC to show him but it really got me thinking about my old hardware. For the past year or so I have been hunting my Dad's house trying to find it. Sadly he has dementia so cannot help me trace it. I've got to the stage that I imagine either he or my stepmum got rid of it at saome stage. I think in the end we had collected 3 Electrons, a Plus 1 and a tonne of games (many pirated). I have found one small box of tapes but that's all.

Fast forward to now and I recently purchased a new (to me) Electron which arrived today. I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet but I've unboxed it. It's got the Slogger MRB installed and came with a Plus 1 and AP3 (but no drive). I also bought an ElkSD cartridge.Back in the day, we mostly played games. Me and my Dad were mad on adventures and we had massive rolls of chart paper that we used to map them out. My favourite arcade games were probably Repton (Repton 2 was the best) and Chuckie Egg.

I'm sure I'll have questions as I go but for now just wanted to say 'Hi' and tell you my story.

Oh, I also recently got hold of my Grampy's old Sinclair Spectrum+. Having a bit of trouble with the video output on that (only getting B&W)!

Cheers for now.

Tim
Attachments
IMG_20200810_1846315.jpg

Multiwizard

Re: Introduction

Post by Multiwizard » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:29 pm

Hi Tim,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:00 pm

Welcome! :D

tricky

Post by tricky » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:29 pm

Welcome, nice history, sorry about your dad.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:22 pm

Welcome, Tim. :D
- John

jugganaut

Post by jugganaut » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:32 pm

Fast forward to now and I recently purchased a new (to me) Electron which arrived today. I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet but I've unboxed it. It's got the Slogger MRB installed and came with a Plus 1 and AP3 (but no drive). I also bought an ElkSD cartridge.
Well I've struck my first problem! When I first booted the machine up using a SCART cable that came with the machine on my modern-ish flatscreen TV, I could make out the Acorn Electron, BASIC > text, but it was skewed and flickering. The cable was a homemade RGB to SCART which looked OK but old, so first things first I thought I would try a new cable. Well that arrived today and I tried it on a different (portable CRT) TV and got just a blank black screen with just a few white specks (almost like there was a boot screen there trying to come through but not legible). Just for sake of comparison, I tried to connect it using the UHF signal (using a known good lead). It tuned in to a signal OK but, again, it was just a blank, black screen with a hint of something white flickering there.

Any ideas on what to try first?

Many Thanks
Tim

EDIT: I should mention I've tried it both with the Plus 1 etc. attached and just the bare Electron. I've also tried the MRB switch in all three positions and the resulting output is the same each time.

oss003

Post by oss003 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:37 pm

Hi Tim, welcome and enjoy the forum ...

Greetings
Kees

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:48 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Tim . . . Enjoy . . .

If you're wanting an original P.R.E.S. Disc Drive to go with your AP3/4 (?) I have two one on sale here.

Does the Disc interface have both DFS and ADFS? If not that's an ese fix!

Dave H.

Edit: 15-08-20
Last edited by daveejhitchins on Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:05 pm

Welcome! And thanks for your story.

About your SCART question; some TV’s SCART input need to be set explicitly to RGB through the settings or even have a dedicated RGB SCART socket.
Paul

jugganaut

Post by jugganaut » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:19 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:48 pm
If you're wanting an original P.R.E.S. Disc Drive to go with your AP3/4 (?) I have two on sale here.

Thanks. I'll have a look once I've got it up and running. Which filing system is best (I only used tapes plus we had a couple of rom cartridges BITD)?

Picture of the interface is attached. Can you have multiple filing systems by putting another ROM in one of those empty sockets?
IMG_20200810_1844037.jpg

jugganaut

Post by jugganaut » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:23 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:05 pm
About your SCART question; some TV’s SCART input need to be set explicitly to RGB through the settings or even have a dedicated RGB SCART socket.
Good question. I know my Toshiba in the family room has an option to switch between RGB/AV in the menu so I'll give it a go on that, although the fact that I'm getting the same issue using the UHF out makes me wonder if it's not something further up the chain...

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:10 am

jugganaut wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:19 pm
daveejhitchins wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:48 pm
If you're wanting an original P.R.E.S. Disc Drive to go with your AP3/4 (?) I have two on sale here.

Thanks. I'll have a look once I've got it up and running. Which filing system is best (I only used tapes plus we had a couple of rom cartridges BITD)?

Picture of the interface is attached. Can you have multiple filing systems by putting another ROM in one of those empty sockets?IMG_20200810_1844037.jpg
Your interface is currently an AP3 - ADFS with Page at &1D00 the same as the Acorn Plus 3 - DFS can be added by moving the ADFS ROM over the the right hand socket, fitting some RAM in the left hand socket, then the DFS ROM in the centre socket and removing the link that's just under the sockets. This will be an E00 DFS e.g. it uses its own RAM so page will still be at &1D00.

As to which DFS is the best . . . I decline to answer that one - wars have been started with the wrong answer :lol: My personal preference is ADFS. However, for compatibility with BBC programs you'll need DFS.

Dave H.

jugganaut

Post by jugganaut » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:03 pm

I've been fiddling and have some updates - initially some progress but still some issues!

I thought it best to start a new thread in the hardware section.

Return to “introduce yourself”