High Score Challenge S14 - R04 - Hard Hat Harry

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
Rod C

Re: High Score Challenge S14 - R04 - Hard Hat Harry

Post by Rod C » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:31 am

Venger wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:41 am
Yeah, it's a good game but the timings are random. You can't learn patterns as there aren't any (with regards to timings of when monkeys will throw wrenches) so optimal times will vary depending on the individual game. It's a difficult one for me as I'm very much a risk-taker and this strategy doesn't work on this game.
Yes the timings are pretty strange. Level 1 was killing me until I got a pattern that worked, then I found I could do the same sequence a bit faster but would only succeed about half the time. I guess that's split second timing differences.

Now I can get to Level 5 but still frustrated by Level 1! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Feel like I'm being repeatedly bashed over the head with a monkey wrench! :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe I just need to be more patient.
42660.JPG

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:56 am

High Score Tables Updated......
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.

klintworth

Post by klintworth » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:04 am

Just made it onto the high score table!!
D010C768-27E1-4820-BF89-4382A5EAA147.jpeg
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle (sans IR Communicator!)

Rod C

Post by Rod C » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:24 pm

A few more points but not a lot of progress!
44840.JPG

MartinH

Post by MartinH » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:40 pm

OMG! Level 13 - it's horrendous! Not only is there a particular order you need to collect things in, there's a nasty pixel perfect jump, with DK throwing barrels at you! And not forgetting the monkeys who can take you down just when you think you've made it to the bottom right. I just played three good runs and only on my last life did I beat it - and that was mostly luck and reaction!

I've got a somewhat reliable strategy for Level 11, if you're struggling with it (and because I don't want to be the only person in the Level 13 therapy group!), which I'll share here.

The easy bit
Drop right to collect the mug
Go right on the conveyor to collect the mug and drop down to the lowest conveyor
Jump to collect the third mug.
Head to the large ladder

Ladder tip
You can put Harry's bonce quite a way above the top of the ladder without getting hit by the top most bird. Doing this provides a small but crucial speed boost.

The top section - part 1
Wait for the top most bird to reach the top of the ladder
When it starts heading left quickly get to the top and jump left on to the girder.
You need to keep in mind three things:
1) The position of the second bird from the top
2) When the monkey last threw a spanner
3) The position of the bottom bird
When you time this right you can fall left three times to pick up the three mugs and land on the lowest conveyor.
Sometimes I time this poorly and the lowest bird, travelling from the right, is about to hit me in the back. If this happens, jump left and the jump-rebound will launch you over the bird and down to the bottom conveyor.

The top section - part 2
Up the ladder again
When it starts heading left quickly get to the top and jump left on to the girder
Jump to the small conveyor.
Again you''ll need to judge the position of the two birds below and when the monkey last threw a spanner.
Keep dropping left to collect the two mugs and get down to the bottom conveyor.

The top section - part 3
Up the ladder again
When it heads left quickly jump left onto the girder
Jump again on to the small conveyor
Jump again on to the large conveyor
Jump to the green ladder
With a bit of luck you'll land in the green ladder or close enough you can move into it to hide
Watch the position of the top bird, the bottom bird and when the monkey last threw a spanner
When the time is right (remember to use the ladder tip for speed), go up the ladder, go left and drop left, and then drop right to the bottom conveyor.

The top section - (final) part 4
This bit is a lot easier!
Up the ladder
Wait for the bird as per usual
Jump to the girder
Watch the position of the second bird from the top and when the monkey last threw a spanner
Drop left and left again
Run right towards the monkey to collect the last mug.
If you're timing is right, you should get to it before it throws another spanner.

I hope that helps somebody - and if not, it was a cathartic and calming exercise for me. Like I said: Level 13 Therapy!
hhh_s6.png

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:11 pm

High Score Tables Updated......

I know it's soon after the other update. I forgot to put Martin on the list somehow.......on the overall sheet.

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.

Venger

Post by Venger » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:32 pm

Got to level 13 again with all my lives intact but it's just an absolutely insane level. Kudos to MartinH for getting past it. A tiny bump up in score.
Attachments
HHH10.png

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:22 pm

Getting to 13 semi-regularly, need to practice and a little luck :-k

Score: 123790
hardhatharry.PNG

Venger

Post by Venger » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:36 pm

Another small boost but still not past level 13 :( Yet...
Attachments
HHH11.png

MartinH

Post by MartinH » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:40 pm

The problem with this game is that it's so stingy with lives! I've just managed - after an evening's worth of effort! - to get to level 15 (twice). I stand by my previous statements - Level 13 is a complete nightmare requiring perfect timing and perfect jumping and that's with knowing when and where to execute perfect timing and jumping. GAH!
hhh_s8.png

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:35 am

MartinH wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:40 pm
The problem with this game is that it's so stingy with lives!
So no extra lives thus far?

MartinH

Post by MartinH » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:48 am

FourthStone wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:35 am
MartinH wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:40 pm
The problem with this game is that it's so stingy with lives!
So no extra lives thus far?
None. NONE! *shakes fist*

3, and that's your lot. Well, at least you get to practice the previous levels a lot. I think, since Monday, I've done the first 8 about a million times!

Venger

Post by Venger » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:39 pm

Finally got past level 13
Attachments
HHH12.png

MartinH

Post by MartinH » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:46 pm

Venger wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:39 pm
Welcome to the club - I feel your pain!

The timings in Level 13 are absolutely crazy. I noticed today - on possibly my 600th failure to get through it - that the timing appears to change between lives. For example, I have a specific route through the level, which if I can make the jump on to the left hand floating platform it works just fine. But if I fail the jump or otherwise end up dead, the same route on subsequent lives won't work due to the monkeys throwing the spanners at different intervals or DK unexpectedly chucking a barrel early or something random like that.

I haven't noticed this on the previous levels (perhaps with the exception of 11, although there's so much going on it's harder to tell) or the subsequent ones I've played so far. Is it just me or is anyone else noticing this?

Venger

Post by Venger » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:39 pm

MartinH wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:46 pm
Venger wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:39 pm
Welcome to the club - I feel your pain!

The timings in Level 13 are absolutely crazy. I noticed today - on possibly my 600th failure to get through it - that the timing appears to change between lives. For example, I have a specific route through the level, which if I can make the jump on to the left hand floating platform it works just fine. But if I fail the jump or otherwise end up dead, the same route on subsequent lives won't work due to the monkeys throwing the spanners at different intervals or DK unexpectedly chucking a barrel early or something random like that.

I haven't noticed this on the previous levels (perhaps with the exception of 11, although there's so much going on it's harder to tell) or the subsequent ones I've played so far. Is it just me or is anyone else noticing this?
I haven't really noticed to be honest. I find level 7 a bit hit and miss with the timings of the spanner throwing though.

Another thing that annoys me on levels 9 and 12 are the jumps that you have to get pixel perfect otherwise you end up bouncing off (the ones where you have to be exactly on the edge of the platform and hope you don't press forward before you jump).

MartinH

Post by MartinH » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:32 pm

Venger wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:39 pm
I haven't really noticed to be honest. I find level 7 a bit hit and miss with the timings of the spanner throwing though.

Another thing that annoys me on levels 9 and 12 are the jumps that you have to get pixel perfect otherwise you end up bouncing off (the ones where you have to be exactly on the edge of the platform and hope you don't press forward before you jump).
Yeah, 7 is a pain. If I don't get past it first life I quit and start again. It's the annoying conveyor belt jump onto the ladder between the two monkeys that either works or fails for me.

On 9 and 12 I tend to find a backwards jump works better. On 9 it's that middle section at the middle top - I use the rebound to get myself on to the lower right platform, position his feet just off the edge and do a backward jump on to the higher platform. On 12 the only place I've found that annoys is the top right bit below the top right monkey. Here the first backwards jump (face pressed against the right the screen) fails but the second jump works as planned. I can't tell if this is the game or just me.

Rod C

Post by Rod C » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:38 pm

MartinH wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:32 pm
Yeah, 7 is a pain. If I don't get past it first life I quit and start again. It's the annoying conveyor belt jump onto the ladder between the two monkeys that either works or fails for me.
That's what just failed for me but have a better score anyway.
MartinH wrote:
The timings in Level 13 are absolutely crazy. I noticed today - on possibly my 600th failure to get through it - that the timing appears to change between lives.
Those higher levels sound horrendous and I don't expect to get there but I can offer some fairly confident observations on Level 1! Even on that first level there seem to be alternative sequences (or possibly different starting points of the same sequence) and because I've kind of locked into the strategy I first succeeded with, I usually come undone unless I get the right sequence. I guess the required skill is to have little tweaks to use and to be able to recognize the sequence quickly enough to adapt.
59620.JPG

Rod C

Post by Rod C » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:00 pm

Just got another little bump.
65830.JPG

Venger

Post by Venger » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:15 pm

Rod C wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:38 pm
MartinH wrote:
MartinH wrote:
The timings in Level 13 are absolutely crazy. I noticed today - on possibly my 600th failure to get through it - that the timing appears to change between lives.
Those higher levels sound horrendous and I don't expect to get there but I can offer some fairly confident observations on Level 1! Even on that first level there seem to be alternative sequences (or possibly different starting points of the same sequence) and because I've kind of locked into the strategy I first succeeded with, I usually come undone unless I get the right sequence. I guess the required skill is to have little tweaks to use and to be able to recognize the sequence quickly enough to adapt.

59620.JPG
The first level is one of the most lethal ones due to the risk-taking element. The way I do it can easily get you killed very quickly depending on whether the monkey decides to wait to throw the spanner or not. If this happens I just quickly get rid of my remaining lives and start again.

MartinH

Post by MartinH » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:11 pm

Venger wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:15 pm
Rod C wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:38 pm
MartinH wrote:
MartinH wrote:

59620.JPG
The first level is one of the most lethal ones due to the risk-taking element. The way I do it can easily get you killed very quickly depending on whether the monkey decides to wait to throw the spanner or not. If this happens I just quickly get rid of my remaining lives and start again.
That's the thing about this game - it never rewards risk! Wait, wait, wait and wait is the order of the day here. With the exceptions of levels 7, (possibly) 11, and 13 so far, I haven't found any situation where risking it works.

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:23 am

Finally made it through 13, it has a certain flow even if I did make one or two errors, have been up to 16 on a practice run so just a matter of stringing it all together... [-o<

Score: 135590
hardhatharry.PNG

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:41 pm

Finally figured out how to get through 11. I had forgotten and now it's all clear....sigh.....
HHH7.png

MartinH

Post by MartinH » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:02 pm

Wow! Made it to Level 21! I had a near perfect run upto level 16 with a bit of a falter, but from 17 things get a bit more familiar. My heart is still pumping!
hhh_s9.png

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:15 pm

Slightly better....the sad thing is that the last time we played this I know I got past this level too....and don't remember the sequence....ah well, such is the memory thing with age.
HHH11.png

Rod C

Post by Rod C » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:08 am

KarateEd wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:15 pm
Slightly better....the sad thing is that the last time we played this I know I got past this level too....and don't remember the sequence....ah well, such is the memory thing with age.
Nice work, though, Ed... considering your age! :wink:

Anyway I'm probably older than you and feel like I put on a few years just getting to the Kong level. :lol: :lol: :lol:
76110.JPG

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:41 pm

Rod C wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:08 am
KarateEd wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:15 pm
Nice work, though, Ed... considering your age! :wink:

Anyway I'm probably older than you and feel like I put on a few years just getting to the Kong level. :lol: :lol: :lol:

76110.JPG
Well, maybe, maybe not....I'm 70......

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:54 pm

Finally got past 12. It's actually not that hard just got careless the last few times. I hardly remember 13 so I probably only saw it once or twice.
HHH12.png

JoolsH

Post by JoolsH » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:55 am

Love this game. Haven't got close to where I got last time we played, though - I'm a bit out of practice. Still having trouble with levels 7 and 8.

Attachments
hardhatharry-106860.png

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:42 am

Oh, this is coming back to me now.

The spanners move too fast on my computer.

Tried a few times but 2000 was about the best I could manage - cleared one side of the screen or the other, but never both. ](*,)

I need a slower computer ... :roll:

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:37 am

A tiny bit better....looks like I won't be getting past 13.
HHH13.png

Return to “8-bit acorn software: games - high scores”