New using needs help with MMC stuff!

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
lordoftime79

New using needs help with MMC stuff!

Post by lordoftime79 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi there, I just got my first BBC model B and it came with a sidways ram boobip and a userport MMC device I was trying the games and ran exile - it asked me if it could use the sideways ram and I said yes but then it hangs to a black screen... after some googling braught me here it seems I needed a patched version... this is where I came unstuck, it seems i cant drag and drop the disk image to the sd card so I downloaded the tool and it and dragged the fixed versions disk image to a blank disk icon... i hit rebuild image and put card back in the Beeb but the game dosnt show on the menu? can anybody help please?

tricky

Re: New using needs help with MMC stuff!

Post by tricky » Sat May 23, 2020 6:38 pm

Rebuild image just makes the title show up, it has nothing to do with the menu.
You can run your new image, say it is 123 with *DBOOT 123

lordoftime79

Post by lordoftime79 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:47 pm

ok so how do I add the games to the menu? also how can I still use my floppy drive?

tricky

Post by tricky » Sun May 24, 2020 3:19 pm

There is a process that I have never managed to master.
When I used that menu (assuming it isn't mine), I added a basic menu that had the extra games (mine) and an option to run the original menu.
It isn't great to have both DFS and which ever mmc version of DFS loaded at the same time as they both grab workspace.
If your floppy still works, I would get a gotek and keep the mmc as a spare. Gotek's were about £15 if you are happy to flash the firmware yourself. It can then be used as drive 1 or vice-versa.

rharper

Post by rharper » Mon May 25, 2020 7:05 pm

You could try my menu at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18812
This should work with the standard Sth disc images and uses text csv database files which can be edited in any spreadsheet.
In a few days time I will be releasing a 'textsheet' application specifically designed to edit these csv database files on a BBC with shadow RAM or a 6502 second processor.
Ray
Edit: The text sheet is now available at the above site but is limited to 994 rows which is not enough for the Sth BBC collection. It could be split into 2, edited and then merged back together.
Raycomp

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”