Geoff Lynas

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
Necrondicus

Geoff Lynas

Post by Necrondicus » Fri May 22, 2020 10:09 am

Hi. My name is Geoff Lynas. A long time ago I wrote a text adventure for the Spectrum, called April 7th which was published by Zenobi. I converted it and expanded upon it to create The Survivor which was developed using ALPS on an Acorn Archimedes A3000. I wrote a few articles for Adventure Probe, mostly about my early experiences with an Acorn Atom and for a while printed the magazine for Barbara Gibb. Anyway, having some time on my hands I searched around for any mention of either game and blundered across this forum, attracted by some kind words by 8bitAG. This is a quick intro as I am up to my neck in a loft clear out. The accumulated memorabilia of 30 years!!!

hoglet

Re: Geoff Lynas

Post by hoglet » Fri May 22, 2020 10:23 am

Welcome Geoff.

I was able to read some of your "The Mighty Atom" stories a couple of years ago, and very much enjoyed them:
viewtopic.php?p=219978#p219978

It's a shame Part 5 was missing, I think that's where we would have found out if the Atom ever worked!

Enjoy the Stardot forum, it is populated with some really great people!

Dave

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard » Fri May 22, 2020 10:42 am

Hi Geoff,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)

davidb

Post by davidb » Fri May 22, 2020 11:23 am

Welcome! :D

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Fri May 22, 2020 11:27 am

Welcome, Geoff. :D
- John

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Fri May 22, 2020 11:47 am

Welcome! :D

tricky

Post by tricky » Fri May 22, 2020 6:36 pm

Welcome,
This is a safe place to admit you were looking for acorns :)

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri May 22, 2020 9:47 pm

Welcome Geoff, I think your name cropped up a year or two back when there was a brief discussion on here somewhere about there being a big gap in the online archive of Adventure Probe magazine. You wouldn't happen to have a large collection of them tucked away somewhere would you?
btw I hope your loft clear out won't involve beeb related items...

Necrondicus

Post by Necrondicus » Sat May 23, 2020 5:11 pm

hoglet wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:23 am
Welcome Geoff.

I was able to read some of your "The Mighty Atom" stories a couple of years ago, and very much enjoyed them:
viewtopic.php?p=219978#p219978

It's a shame Part 5 was missing, I think that's where we would have found out if the Atom ever worked!

Enjoy the Stardot forum, it is populated with some really great people!

Dave
Thanks Dave

Until I discovered the archived conversation that you are referring to I had completely forgotten writing that column for Adventure Probe. Unfortunately, despite being an absolute hoarder, I have only found one issue of AP still in my possession. And sorry, it didn't have part 5 of my column in it. If I remember correctly, yes, it did work. :)

Necrondicus

Post by Necrondicus » Sat May 23, 2020 5:18 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:47 pm
Welcome Geoff, I think your name cropped up a year or two back when there was a brief discussion on here somewhere about there being a big gap in the online archive of Adventure Probe magazine. You wouldn't happen to have a large collection of them tucked away somewhere would you?
btw I hope your loft clear out won't involve beeb related items...
Hi

I did become the custodian of the Adventure Probe masters back in the early 90s when I was Barbara Gibb's printer. However, when I had to stop I returned them all to her. And, as mentioned in an earlier response, despite have piles of ancient magazines and small press booklets stashed away, I don't think I kept any APs apart from one Christmas edition.

I have unearthed a large crate and three archive boxes full of ancient programs and tech. I can see an Archimedes A3000 and two Spectrum +3 computers in there but they have remained undisturbed for over 25 years. If I find anything interesting I will let you know. :)

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat May 23, 2020 5:41 pm

It would be most useful if we could somehow get in touch with Barbara Gibb. She used to contribute regularly to this forum but sadly not for some time. If she's still around she must have found another hobby to keep her busy...

Return to “introduce yourself”