(32bit/RISCOS) Acorn Intertalk

contribute new/updated software missing from online archives
philpem

(32bit/RISCOS) Acorn Intertalk

Post by philpem » Fri May 22, 2020 12:39 am

One for the Econet and AUN fans in the audience -- Acorn InterTalk!

InterTalk is an email and newsgroups package which was designed for schools. It dials up and fetches/sends mail, and can also operate in a standalone fashion.

This is the full Network (site) version, consisting of two disks: the Software disk and the Network disk. You install from the Software disk first, which gives you a local copy of InterTalk. To convert that to a network copy, copy the files from the Network disk over the top.

I also have the manual and will scan it when I have a spare moment. For now I've included the release notes and some of the other booklets and leaflets it came with.

EDIT: I've just scanned the manual! It's on Archive.org along with the rest of this stuff: https://archive.org/details/acorn-intertalk

Cheers
Phil
Attachments
STNCEnterprisesAdvert.pdf
(875.3 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
RegistrationCard.pdf
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
IntertalkWebBrowser.pdf
(209.74 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
IntertalkReleaseNote.pdf
(186.15 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Intertalk.zip
(455.59 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Last edited by philpem on Tue May 26, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flibble

Re: (32bit/RISCOS) Acorn Intertalk

Post by flibble » Fri May 22, 2020 3:28 am

I have to admit this one passed me by in my investigations until a couple of weeks ago when I saw it on a list of software for the first time. Thanks for archiving this!

I notice it has the !Mail app that I've seen before as the mail reader on various former Acorn people's HDs I've imaged. So they were using it internally at Acorn if nowhere else!

Do you have any objections to me putting it up on 4corn.co.uk at some point?

philpem

Post by philpem » Fri May 22, 2020 9:14 am

flibble wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:28 am
I have to admit this one passed me by in my investigations until a couple of weeks ago when I saw it on a list of software for the first time. Thanks for archiving this!

I notice it has the !Mail app that I've seen before as the mail reader on various former Acorn people's HDs I've imaged. So they were using it internally at Acorn if nowhere else!

Do you have any objections to me putting it up on 4corn.co.uk at some point?
Go for it! I'll probably put it on archive.org too, when I've got the manual scanned. :)

We were using it at school. Full Acorn network (probably 10BaseT Ethernet and AUN) with !Browse and !Mail. To get into either you needed a login and password. I don't think I've ever seen !Browse do that. Gateway and fileserver was a RISC PC sat in the IT manager's office, hooked up to an ISDN line...

Speaking of archive.org, I've got a directory full of Mac, Windows and Acorn educational software I'm slowly uploading to there...

MyJumpersFullOfFears

Post by MyJumpersFullOfFears » Sat May 23, 2020 12:00 pm

philpem wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:14 am
Speaking of archive.org, I've got a directory full of Mac, Windows and Acorn educational software I'm slowly uploading to there...
I apologise if I am hijacking this thread in any way, but in the above quotation, does the name of "Acorn" mean BBC Micro, Archimedes/RISC PC, or both? I am guessing it means the 32-bit machines from the "(32bit/RISCOS)" in the thread's title, but I cannot be sure given that educational software for them is virtually impossible to come by these days. However, if that is the case, I will be very thankful, as I played a lot of educational games for Acorn's 32-bit machines at primary school (and much preferred them to RM's Windows ones which replaced all but five of them when I was a Year 4 in late 1998), so the possibility of being able to play some of them again after nearly 19 years in Arculator, or even in RPCEmu, gives me hope in the world's current situation.

philpem

Post by philpem » Sun May 24, 2020 1:09 am

MyJumpersFullOfFears wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:00 pm
philpem wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:14 am
I apologise if I am hijacking this thread in any way, but in the above quotation, does the name of "Acorn" mean BBC Micro, Archimedes/RISC PC, or both? I am guessing it means the 32-bit machines from the "(32bit/RISCOS)" in the thread's title, but I cannot be sure given that educational software for them is virtually impossible to come by these days. However, if that is the case, I will be very thankful, as I played a lot of educational games for Acorn's 32-bit machines at primary school (and much preferred them to RM's Windows ones which replaced all but five of them when I was a Year 4 in late 1998), so the possibility of being able to play some of them again after nearly 19 years in Arculator, or even in RPCEmu, gives me hope in the world's current situation.
Archimedes/32-bit.

Almost any software which lands on my doorstep is likely to end up archived in some fashion. Maybe not publicly available, but certainly archived.

MyJumpersFullOfFears

Post by MyJumpersFullOfFears » Sun May 24, 2020 10:00 am

philpem wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:09 am
Archimedes/32-bit.
Thank you for clarifying that. I do not suppose you would mind listing the titles in question here, so anyone else who may remember playing a lot of Acorn educational games during their own days at primary school in the 1990s and early 2000s would know which ones they may eventually be able to play again?

philpem

Post by philpem » Tue May 26, 2020 8:39 pm

Back on the subject of InterTalk, I've just uploaded the manual and software to Archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/acorn-intertalk

And they've done a fine job of OCR-ing my scans and converting the 55MB PDF into a 1.2MB one!

MyJumpersFullOfFears wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:00 am
Thank you for clarifying that. I do not suppose you would mind listing the titles in question here, so anyone else who may remember playing a lot of Acorn educational games during their own days at primary school in the 1990s and early 2000s would know which ones they may eventually be able to play again?
The RISC OS educational software I just got is all on archive.org now -- https://archive.org/details/@cosmosnowmew

MyWorld2 is on there, I guarantee you'll remember that. Ridiculous Rhymes and Oxford Reading Tree by Sherston, a good sized chunk of Anglia Multimedia's releases, and the three YITM Science and Nature CDs.

Things still to go on there --

Kingfisher Childrens Micropedia (only have the CD for this one, no docs)
Kiyeko and the Lost Night (sadly missing the RISC OS Reader disk, so PC only)
The Woodland Treasury (Forestry Commission / MAIN Multimedia / Esso (!) )
Matti Mole's Summer Holiday (Sherston Home)
HotSpots by SEMERC (from memory this is for use with button-boxes for SEN applications)

And possibly...

TAG/Roger Wagner HyperStudio - a couple of versions
Textease Studio
Junior PinPoint (need to scan the manual and disk)
Pendown DTP (no manual, just the disks)

On top of this veritable mountain, I have to sort through a load of application software which Bart Nagel has very kindly sold me and two boxes of disks coming from a school clearance (bought as a job lot so who knows what's on them).
I also need to find a way to make HFD, APD or JPD floppy images as SPEX+ and Wimpbasic have some pretty dastardly copy protection. I've also got Image Outliner but sadly that has no install credit.

And I think I'll take a breath after saying all that....!

I'd still absolutely love to get my hands on a copy of The Crystal Rainforest, Around the World in 80 Days and some of the other educational software I remember from my youth!

Return to “archive submissions”