Managing ROMs installed in a BBC B

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
Wheel_nut

Managing ROMs installed in a BBC B

Post by Wheel_nut » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:52 pm

I have been using the *UNPLUG function of Advanced Disc Toolkit (ADT) to disable ROMS installed in my Beeb but the "Unplug" doesn't seem to survive a Break. After unplugging a ROM, a *ROMS display shows the service and Language flags overwritten with Asterisks but pressing Break seems to restore the flags.

What I am trying to do is to disable the DFS ROM whilst I am using MMFS primarily to access the Games Compendium on the SD Card and allow the games to load with PAGE reset to 0E00. I would like this state to prevail until either a Ctrl-Break or until the Computer is switched Off and On again.

I have seen references to "ROM Manager" somewhere but cannot seem to find anything relevant on the Board.
#1 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 1770 DFS + Dual TEAC Floppy
#2 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Dual Floppy + Speech
#3 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Cumana Single Floppy + PiTubeDirect on KenLowe's Tube Level Shifter

lurkio

Re: Managing ROMs installed in a BBC B

Post by lurkio » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 pm

Wheel_nut wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:52 pm
I have seen references to "ROM Manager" somewhere but cannot seem to find anything relevant on the Board.
Try the *KILL command in the Advanced ROM Manager 1.13C here:
Or here:
:idea:

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:26 pm

The Advanced Computer Products ROM Manager will do what you want.

Its *KILL command will survive BREAK and CTRL-BREAK. A *FX200,2 + CTRL-BREAK or switch off - switch on are needed to restore the ROM.

The manual and ROM image are attached.

Some one was quicker than me but of a similar mind. :lol:
Attachments
Advanced Rom Manager.zip
(23.73 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
- John

Remklep

Post by Remklep » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:06 pm

Have you tried sticking the DFS ROM in a lower priority slot than the MMFS ROM?

Danny
BBC Model B+ 64K, 128K Memory Mod, RetroClinic External PiDirect with Raspberry Pi 3B.
BBC Master 128, RetroClinic Internal PiDirect with Raspberry Zero, TurboSPI MMC, RobC's VideoNuLa, Gotek Floppy Emulator.

Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 pm

Thank you Lurkio and Flaxcottage. I followed the quoted thread and also the two download linkies and now have three options:

Advanced Disc Investigator 1.20 and Advanced ROM Manager 1.13C and Advanced ROM Manager 1.00 (1986)

Do you have any preference for one of these? Can I assume that Advanced ROM Manager 1.13C is the latest stable level?

p.s. ... and full documentation! Now thats novel. =D>
#3 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Cumana Single Floppy + PiTubeDirect on KenLowe's Tube Level Shifter

Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:05 pm

Lurkio and Flaxcottage, I have installed ARM1.13C and am delighted that I can *KILL the DFS ROM and after a Break, it resets Page to 0E00. I am using ZMMFS which resides in Sideways RAM so I can now run games from the compendium which would not previously run with Page set at 1900 or higher. Also unlike the ADT *UNPLUG command, the *KILL prevails after a Break. Shift-Break and Ctrl-Break and until the Beeb is switched Off and On again.

Danny, Yes, the MMFS really has to be in a Higher order Bank to be able to intercept the DFS commands that it emulates. I have modified my Mainboard ROM Sockets to accept 27512 EPROMS in the lower 3 sockets and put a 32K Static (Sideways) RAM in Socket 101, so my standard installation now has ONE EPROM containing:
BASIC2
ZMMFS1.44
DFS
ARM1.13C

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”