Hello from QLD Australia

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
TimbukToo

Hello from QLD Australia

Post by TimbukToo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:25 pm

Hello all,
Used BBC's in high school and enjoyed writing basic programming. Got an Electron for Xmas 84, and it still works to this day :D with drbombcrater's
ElkSD64 (thanks Gary) it lives again.
I thought I'd "upgrade" to a beeb and bought one from Melbourne. It looked good in the pictures (famous last words). Well it has a few problems :( hopefully one of you tech gurus can help.
It's great to see such an enthusiastic group of people keeping these old Acorns alive.

Hope to contribute in some way in the future,
Cheers Ian.

davidb

Re: Hello from QLD Australia

Post by davidb » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:31 pm

Welcome from a fellow Electron user! :D

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:35 am

Hi Ian,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:01 am

Welcome, Ian. :D

I had a model B+ with a faulty user VIA. Now that was a real pain as it was soldered in.
- John

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:15 am

Welcome to the forum, Ian . . . Enjoy . . .
TimbukToo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:25 pm
Got an Electron for Xmas 84, and it still works to this day
=D>

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

tricky

Post by tricky » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:37 am

Welcome, I wonder if your beeb came from one of our Melbourne members.

TimbukToo

Post by TimbukToo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:49 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:15 am
Welcome to the forum, Ian . . . Enjoy . . .
TimbukToo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:25 pm
Got an Electron for Xmas 84, and it still works to this day
=D>

Dave H :D
Yeah don't make 'em like that anymore. And thanks for the welcome.

TimbukToo

Post by TimbukToo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:52 am

tricky wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:37 am
Welcome, I wonder if your beeb came from one of our Melbourne members.
Thanks mate.
Don't think so but maybe. If so I'd like to have a chat :wink:

Ivan

Post by Ivan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:53 pm

Welcome to this wonderful site. :)

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:20 pm

Welcome! :D

oss003

Post by oss003 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:22 pm

Welcome and enjoy the forum .....

Greetings
Kees

tone76

Post by tone76 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:37 am

Oh no ... you didn't buy that Model B from Melbourne that was on eBay just before Christmas? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I reckon I may have put a bid on it. I knew it was a fixer-upper, but it sounds like it might need more fixing that first thought ...! (a bit more than just a PSU reecapping, a good scrub and maybe some retrobriting?)

At least you're in the right place to get it sorted. :D
I didn't choose the Acorn life, the Acorn life chose me.

TimbukToo

Post by TimbukToo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:25 am

tone76 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:37 am
Oh no ... you didn't buy that Model B from Melbourne that was on eBay just before Christmas? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I reckon I may have put a bid on it. I knew it was a fixer-upper, but it sounds like it might need more fixing that first thought ...! (a bit more than just a PSU reecapping, a good scrub and maybe some retrobriting?)

At least you're in the right place to get it sorted. :D
Hi. Just read this post. Don't think so, I bought one at the end of January from Melbourne. It works but has a faulty User VIA chip, missing the cassette and A/D chips. It had 3 ROM games (chuckie egg, killer gorilla and snapper). The case/keyboard/power supply (wongs) on the other hand are near perfect, all original screws, just a small crack in the perspex function key strip holder and a missing shoe. Getting these chips from Dave H on this board. Also it was a BUY it NOW listing.
The second beeb I won on ebay just last week, the seller also from Melbourne (Were Melbourne schools the only ones to get these?) looked bad but I wanted what was on the inside. I asked the seller to post me a photo of the mainboard, it had a sideways ram chip, a couple of ROMS viewsheet and the econet ROM. The seller, an old bloke who said he worked for Acorn back in the early 80's as production manager (very interesting back and forth with him) said the machine works and I trusted him.
So from the two machines (and a bit of money) along with the TurboMMC (worth every cent), RGB to scart cable and a scart to HDMI box (on ebay $38) I have a very nice little micro
The first one will be my little fixer and hopefully clean it up, replacement perspex holders can be bought from four d pi.
Let me know how you go with your Porsche 911 :lol:
Ian T

tone76

Post by tone76 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:47 am

TimbukToo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:25 am
I bought one at the end of January from Melbourne. It works but has a faulty User VIA chip, missing the cassette and A/D chips. It had 3 ROM games (chuckie egg, killer gorilla and snapper). The case/keyboard/power supply (wongs) on the other hand are near perfect, all original screws, just a small crack in the perspex function key strip holder and a missing shoe. Getting these chips from Dave H on this board. Also it was a BUY it NOW listing.
Ah, yep... I was eyeing that one off as well! It certainly looked neater than that other one I thought you may have won (which looks like it came from the bottom of a swamp ... I still made a bid on it though :lol: ).
The second beeb I won on ebay just last week, the seller also from Melbourne (Were Melbourne schools the only ones to get these?) looked bad but I wanted what was on the inside. I asked the seller to post me a photo of the mainboard, it had a sideways ram chip, a couple of ROMS viewsheet and the econet ROM. The seller, an old bloke who said he worked for Acorn back in the early 80's as production manager (very interesting back and forth with him) said the machine works and I trusted him.
Sounds pretty decent. IIRC many of Australia's state education departments listed the BBC Micro as one of their preferred computers for schools. From what I've read, the Beeb did particularly well in Victoria, SA, WA and Tasmania. I can vouch for SA; many state high schools had at least one classroom full of Econet-connected Model Bs ... I'm actually a little surprised Beebs are so thin on the ground here in Adelaide.
TimbukToo wrote: So from the two machines (and a bit of money) along with the TurboMMC (worth every cent), RGB to scart cable and a scart to HDMI box (on ebay $38) I have a very nice little micro.
Definitely a result! You also have the satisfaction of restoring one of these wonderful old machines, along with a box of spares as a bonus. I ended up going the opposite way, buying the cleanest Model B I could get from the UK at the time. I'll still keep my eyes open for any local Beebs that may pop up ... tbh I think I may have bought an example that's too nice to actually use. :shock:
TimbukToo wrote: The first one will be my little fixer and hopefully clean it up, replacement perspex holders can be bought from four d pi.
Let me know how you go with your Porsche 911 :lol:
Hahaha I ended up doubling down on my microcomputer fetish and bought myself a ZX Spectrum as well. :shock: They almost never come up for sale in Australia, and a nice one happened to come up this week. I'm keen to find out firsthand why the Speccy captured the imagination of the British public, as well at to experience its reported frustrations firsthand ... also to see if Jet Set Willy is really worth waiting 45 minutes worth of loading and reloading time. :D In the worst case scenario, a minty fresh Speccy will make a great ornament to put on the shelf of the man cave.

No Porsche for me for a while (much to the wife's relief!).

tricky

Post by tricky » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:29 pm

I seem to remember that DFS was developed down under.

tone76

Post by tone76 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:15 pm

tricky wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:29 pm
I seem to remember that DFS was developed down under.
Apparently it was, along with some extra work on Econet. It appears as though the Australian distributor developed these to win education department tenders in Western Australia and South Australia (DFS), along with Tasmania (Econet). Spoiler alert: they won. :D

Another fun fact: the Model B was one of the officially preferred computers for school use by 7 out of 8 state and territory education departments; Australian Capital Territory being the only education department that didn't officially sanction the Beeb as a preferred computer in schools. That said, there were some states where the Australian-developed Microbee (a CP/M machine) was a very strong competitor to the Beeb.

New South Wales was a pretty big education market for Microbee IIRC. My gut tells me that the Microbee/Beeb divide may run along similar lines to Rugby League/Australian Rules Football i.e. League states favouring Microbees and AFL states favouring Beebs (I know that WA, SA and Tas are big AFL states, and that the Beeb was also quite common in Victoria), but I need to do more research ... probably involving physical libraries. :!:

Given how ubiquitous both the Model B and Microbee were in schools across Australia, I'm a little surprised (and disappointed) they now seem to be almost completely forgotten here. :(

tricky

Post by tricky » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:00 am

Thanks for the city nfermation and extra info, I knew that the beeb had made it to Australia, but didn't realise how far spread it probably was.
OT, but I worked on the tools and some of the rendering tech for AFL99 on the PC, but was too late for ARL96.