Clef Synthesizer

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Paul

Clef Synthesizer

Post by Paul » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:18 pm

Hello!

So there was a request on the Acorn Facebook group regarding the little-known Clef Synthesizer. The webpage featured in the post is the actual one I purchased from the original owner a few years back.

As promised, I've created a thread for those that wish to learn more about it and play with the software. The Synthesizer came with four 5 1/2 disks. The first thing I did back in 2013 or 2014 was to copy those to my DataCentre and also used it with BeebSSD. I've attached those files here.

All being well, I'm planning on taking this kit to the ABUG January 2020 meet, with a plan to photograph the circuit board on both sizes (if I can get to it without damaging the synth!) and ripping the ROM on board (assistance with this requested please - I want to do it in a way that won't in any way risk the ROM and its contents!)

I've scanned and OCR'd the manual. It's all in my Archive, so I'll dig that out and post it to this thread.

If anyone else has any information or photos of other builds, or other software, please do share it here! Emulation would be amazing too!

Cheers,

Paul
Attachments
clef1.jpg
5c64_1.JPG
5c64_1.JPG (36.36 KiB) Viewed 293 times
ClefPlay.ssd
(98.5 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Clef3.ssd
(38.75 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Clef2.ssd
(72.5 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Clef1.ssd
(99.75 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Paul

Re: Clef Synthesizer

Post by Paul » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:28 pm

Original owner and earliest thread I can find:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7281&p=74008&hilit=clef#p74008

Content about the Synth:
http://elgauchoandres.blogspot.com/search/label/CLEF

The photos in the above links show the keyboard possibly as supplied. My version is a DIY kit as built by the original owner. It looks like quite a complex job, mainly from a wiring perspective.

A webpage by the original owner of the synth:
http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/clef.html?f ... 0REThjnGDE

And then this, as helpfully linked in the FB group:
http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/boppi ... ZPvqbZwYEc

Pernod

Re: Clef Synthesizer

Post by Pernod » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:57 pm

Paul wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:18 pm
All being well, I'm planning on taking this kit to the ABUG January 2020 meet, with a plan to photograph the circuit board on both sizes (if I can get to it without damaging the synth!) and ripping the ROM on board (assistance with this requested please - I want to do it in a way that won't in any way risk the ROM and its contents!)

I've scanned and OCR'd the manual. It's all in my Archive, so I'll dig that out and post it to this thread.
So what happened with this at ABUG?
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.