Looking for the title of an old (educational?) adventure game

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

thiima

Looking for the title of an old (educational?) adventure game

Post by thiima » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:25 pm

Hello All,

I'm looking for the name of what I believe was an educational adventure game either on the BBC Micro or Acorn (I'm not sure which, the only thing I remember about it is that I think it had orange/red function keys).

From what little I can remember of it, it looked somewhat similar to the 4mation Granny's Garden game - it definitely isn't, but the theming and style seem right so it's possible it's another of their games, but I've looked through their library and none look or sound familiar.

My knowledge of the game is sketchy as I'm unsure if I ever saw it from start to finish, it was in use at a UK primary school in the early 90's.

I believe the game started with a person in a house, possibly asleep with a view outside a window that looked at a tree (I think it ended in roughly the same way too).

At some point during the game you come to cross roads and to the north is a castle, but you cannot travel to it because the moat drawbridge is up. You instead must do something to acquire a bike, which the character then needs to use to 'jump' the moat. Inside the castle I recall there being ladders of some sort that you had to climb.

At the end of the game you come to the tree and need to select one of three dinosaurs to climb it - A t-rex, a stegosaurus or a much shorter longer dinosaur, picking any except the stegosaurus would result in not being able to reach the top (the character climbed on the stegosaurus' spikes to reach the top) I recall the stegosaurus as being a bright green colour with bright yellow spines.

I've been through the BBC Micro games list twice but none of the images or names stood out to me.

Does this sound even vaguely familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

leenew

Re: Looking for the title of an old (educational?) adventure game

Post by leenew » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi
The one that sprung to mind when you said you started asleep was this one: http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=2230
Its also worth checking the sister site to bbcmicro.co.uk
http://www.flaxcottage.com
Lots of educational goodness over there!

Lee

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:37 pm

Thanks for the referral, Lee, but I don't recollect that an adventure like this is in the archive. Mind you that doesn't prove anything. Ha ha!
- John

thiima

Post by thiima » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:53 pm

Thank you both -- I've had a look at Stig of the Dump but it doesn't look familiar (though with my sparse description I'd agree that the start matches!).

I've had a look at the flax cottage site and do not see any that look familiar.

Thank you both again for responding - my search continues!

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:01 pm

thiima wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:25 pm
I'm looking for the name of what I believe was an educational adventure game either on the BBC Micro or Acorn ...
What were the controls for the game? What sort of game was it? A text adventure with graphics? Or a sort of arcade adventure where you moved a graphical character on screen with direction keys (or a joystick)?

thiima wrote:
I believe the game started with a person in a house, possibly asleep with a view outside a window that looked at a tree (I think it ended in roughly the same way too).
Was that scene depicted with graphics or was it just text? If the former then were the graphics chunky MODE7 Teletext graphics or higher-resolution "bitmap" graphics?

thiima wrote:
At some point during the game you come to cross roads and to the north is a castle, but you cannot travel to it because the moat drawbridge is up. You instead must do something to acquire a bike, which the character then needs to use to 'jump' the moat. Inside the castle I recall there being ladders of some sort that you had to climb.
The same questions apply. (Were the castle and bike scenes depicted with graphics or just text? If the former then were the graphics chunky MODE7 Teletext graphics or higher-resolution "bitmap" graphics?)

:?:

thiima

Post by thiima » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:17 pm

Not completely sure how to do quotes so apologies:

I don't recall a joystick so I think all controls were keyboard, though the only specific control I remember (or believe I remember) was at the end where you had to press either 1, 2 or 3 to select the dinosaur at the end, though I'm fairly sure at the crossroads before the castle it would ask which direction you wanted to travel (north / east / west style).
It was definitely graphical - similar to the Stig of the Dump style, though much more 'square' looking. I don't recall any screens that were purely text. I'm not sure that at any point you had direct control of the character (except maybe the ladder bit?) as my memory is too vague.

Castle and Bike screnes were definitely graphics but am unsure what type, I think the resolutions of the dinosaurs for example seemed higher resolution than the graphics in "Granny's Garden".

I hope this helps -- If I can remember any more details I'll update the post.