The Seventh Star (1984) — Acornsoft

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
lurkio

The Seventh Star (1984) — Acornsoft

Post by lurkio » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:24 pm

seventhstar.jpg
The Seventh Star
seventhstar.jpg (52.6 KiB) Viewed 880 times

We've received some emails from David Hampton, author of The Seventh Star, a text adventure game published by Acornsoft in 1984. David has given me permission to share his emails here. Many thanks to him for the interesting background info.

David's emails:
David Hampton wrote:I read your description of the hacking process and the walkthrough – gave me quite a thrill, many thanks Lurkio. It was a relief to see I had not made it too hard, though I did regret making so many of the passages NW, NE, SW, SE instead of plain old N, S, E, W.

I absolutely loved the original Colossal Cave, and while at university dreamed of writing an adventure myself – I kept notes over about a two-year period as I went, always with the idea of making oblique references to films and popular culture of the day – ET, Scanners, James Bond, the Hitchhiker’s Guide, Space Odyssey, Alien, John Cooper Clarke’s “Monster from Outer Space”, Star Wars, Close Encounters and probably some others I’ve forgotten – and of course, wanting it to be funny (I think I partly succeeded there!)

I figured out for myself how to code most of it but had a few gaps… I got to see the internal workings of someone else’s adventure program when I contracted with them to provide software protection – that gave me sight of the inner workings and finally I realised I had everything I needed.

I wrote the program in BASIC with some home-made text compression techniques to enable me to put longer descriptions in – that required learning 6502 assembly language so that I could compress and decompress without slowing the game down too much. Loads of fun.

Anyway, Acornsoft were The Brand for the Beeb so I just went to them with the game and they signed up for it straight away. Their testing was really thorough – I thought I had found all the bugs but they found some more! After a year or two they approached me to write a version for the Electron, which needed 8k of its 32k for the screen (the Model B only needed 1k) so I had to find a 7k saving from somewhere. So I re-thought the text compression, squeezing the text down to about half of what it would take uncompressed, and wrote a lot more 6502 code, and it worked! But by the time I had achieved that, Acornsoft were in financial trouble and weren’t able to publish the game, so the Electron version never saw the light of day. Still, after some argy-bargy they paid the Advance that had been agreed so it was OK.

Someone wrote on the stardot forum that they could not find any other titles by the same author. Bloody right, I nearly lost my girlfriend because of the amount of evening and weekend time it took. Fortunately she was understanding and we’ve now been married for 31 years.

Many thanks for your efforts and interest in all things Beeb!
A post by tautology says that the database in Seventh Star is similar in structure to the one in Castle Of Riddles. With that in mind, I asked who the "someone else" was that David mentioned (above). He replied:
David Hampton wrote:... no, nothing to do with the Castle of Riddles, which I have never played. Any similarity is coincidental. The software protection I did was for a company in Exeter I believe – certainly Devon or Cornwall. I got them interested in what I had to offer, took the train all the way down there, and did a demo for them. It didn’t work. Bloody Hell! But I must have been smart because I found the right question to ask: Which OS are you using? 1.0, it turned out. Aha – I had 0.1 on mine. So they gave me a 1.0 chip (result!) a couple of tweaks later, I had my sale.

I don’t remember the game I pinched the idea from, nor do I remember what “the idea” was, that became the last piece of the puzzle – perhaps the room database or the text parser, but anyway it was just a nudge in the right direction as I had It basically licked already.

Oh yes, one more memory from them old days: I had a job doing time study at Ford in Southampton. I would stand timing material handling personnel load trucks and what have you. Sometimes I was just standing around waiting to click the button on my stopwatch when they had finished their loading. I specifically remember working out all the details of the Electron text compression system while I was doing that. Memory is a funny thing.

Cheers

David

PS I loved that tautology found my name from the secret place I stashed it in the inaccessible room 13! Though God knows why I mis-spelled it in room 240.
:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveejhitchins

Re: The Seventh Star (1984) — Acornsoft

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:52 pm

OK . . . Question not answered! Is the electron version available? [-o<

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:07 pm

That would be cool if we could actually get a working version for elk :) seeing as it was written :)

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:48 pm

A few weeks back I was reading Alice's column in the Micro User and there was a letter published by one David Hampton in which he, rather presciently, predicts that Alice will no doubt shortly be reviewing his recently completed adventure game. At the time I wondered whether his game was actually out there somewhere but then forgot about it. Reading this thread jogged my memory and having done a search through the Micro User magazines I found Alice's short review of The Seventh Star a little over a year later. She makes no mention of the previous article but then she probably received a large mailbag each month so had probably forgotten. Here are the two articles:

April 1984 article:
DH1.jpg
July 1985 article:

It is indeed a small world (especially with text compression..)
Attachments
DH2.jpg

dramhampton

Post by dramhampton » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:23 pm

Humph. I remember that Alice article all too well. A lesson learned for me, as I should not have tried to self-promote the game ... having had really good reviews in the other magazines for The Seventh Star, I was gutted to receive that one.

Anyway, @daveejhitchins, you started something there. A simple request has resulted in a long-overdue clear-out of the loft... I found my machine, my discs and all my notes.

So: my BBC micro booted up perfectly, and the trusty old green screen monitor still worked a treat, until I noticed clouds of smoke pouring from the power supply unit. So I did not get to look at the contents of the discs or find out if they were still working.

However, one of them does say that it is a run-from-disc version of the Electron version of The Seventh Star, and it will also make a tape ... though I have no idea how user-friendly it will be to do either of those things, as I created them for my own interest.

I'd be happy to send you the disc dave if you promise to return it (I'd like to get the Beeb fixed at some point, for old times' sake).

I'll message you to sort it out.

David

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:43 pm

dramhampton wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:23 pm
I'll message you to sort it out.
You need to have made about 25 public forum posts before you can send Private Messages — unless a friendly neighbourhood moderator enables PMs for you, which hopefully they will if they see this post! Or maybe Dave Hitchins will send you a PM with further info..?

:?:

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:13 pm

dramhampton wrote:
So: my BBC micro booted up perfectly, and the trusty old green screen monitor still worked a treat, until I noticed clouds of smoke pouring from the power supply unit.
Sounds like a capacitors issue with the psu, a very common problem for old beebs. Same thing happened to me a year or two ago, still haven't got it fixed. If you're a dab hand with a screwdriver and a soldering iron it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you. See youtube or these forums for a solution.

I personally prefer to use the Beebem emulator as you get lots of goodies thrown in including different Beeb models, lots of SW ram banks, a choice of 4 different second processors and a brilliant ramsave facility. You could even try to solve your own game...

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:55 am

Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:46 pm

The News is Good . . .

The disc is just fine =D> Verifies OK and I've copied all the files. Had me going for a moment though, as it was a 40 track disc :oops: I was getting ready to send it of the DanielJ to grab all the data that could be grabbed - then :idea:

Next, tried to run it on my Electron . . . Fails with bad mode. loaded the program and changed to Mode 6 - the start-up screen does announce that it is the Electron version. Also gives options to run the game make a tape and I can't remember the third - probably as I went straight to run the game. It tried but hung waiting for something! So as soon as I get chance I'll make a tape and try running from there.

The disc was probably made on a Beeb, hence the Mode 7. Once I have a tape and know it's OK I'll send a copy to Col. to let him do his magic. Then I'll make a SSD and post it here. Maybe someone can then see if it can be made to run from Disc.

More later . . .

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:22 pm

nice one Dave =D>

would be better /faster just to upload 40T 100k SSD file here, then could just use beebEm414 to make a .UEF , then try it in Elkulator :D
ImageImageImage

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:21 pm

CMcDougall wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:22 pm
nice one Dave =D>

would be better /faster just to upload 40T 100k SSD file here, then could just use beebEm414 to make a .UEF , then try it in Elkulator :D
OK, will do . . . But I'll still make the tape and see if it runs OK.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:39 pm

At last . . . Here's the SSD replicating the disc kindly sent to me by David Hampton.

I've made a tape from the disc (Option 1) and it seems to run just fine.

Maybe we should be making a tape and disc of both the Electron and BBC version under the Retro Software banner ????

ElectronTheSeventhStar.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:11 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:39 pm
At last . . . Here's the SSD replicating the disc kindly sent to me by David Hampton. I've made a tape from the disc (Option 1) and it seems to run just fine.
Many thanks, David and Dave!

I used the .SSD in BeebEm to create a .UEF tape-image of the game. Seems to work fine in BeebEm.

I notice that the CASA walkthrough seems to break on this Elk version of the game though, so perhaps some of the gameplay was changed slightly from the original Beeb version...

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:26 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:
Maybe we should be making a tape and disc of both the Electron and BBC version under the Retro Software banner ???
We're already working on the artwork! ;)
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:04 pm

here is the UEF, working in Elkulator v1 :
sev.png
sev2.png
*T.
CH."STAR"
Attachments
TheSeventhStar-elk.uef
uef from BeebEm414
(27.83 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
ImageImageImage

dramhampton

Post by dramhampton » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:43 pm

lurkio wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:11 pm
daveejhitchins wrote:
At last . . . Here's the SSD replicating the disc kindly sent to me by David Hampton. I've made a tape from the disc (Option 1) and it seems to run just fine.
Many thanks, David and Dave!

I used the .SSD in BeebEm to create a .UEF tape-image of the game. Seems to work fine in BeebEm.

I notice that the CASA walkthrough seems to break on this Elk version of the game though, so perhaps some of the gameplay was changed slightly from the original Beeb version...

Thanks for your efforts guys! Lurkio, I can tell you that to the best of my knowledge the gameplay should be absolutely the same. The risk, I fear, is that there is a bug lurking that has not been found because Acornsoft did not put the Electron version through their debugging process - as soon as I sent them the Electron version it became clear that it was not going to see the light of day so that was that. Where did the walkthrough fail?

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:24 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:46 pm
Then I'll make a SSD and post it here. Maybe someone can then see if it can be made to run from Disc.
This isn't quite what you had in mind but here's a quick hack to make the Elk version run on .SSD in BBC Master mode in emulation:

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:51 pm

dramhampton wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:43 pm
Lurkio, I can tell you that to the best of my knowledge the gameplay should be absolutely the same. The risk, I fear, is that there is a bug lurking that has not been found because Acornsoft did not put the Electron version through their debugging process - as soon as I sent them the Electron version it became clear that it was not going to see the light of day so that was that. Where did the walkthrough fail?
Oops -- it was a bit of a false alarm. It turned out that in the Elk version you have to use different synonyms to refer to certain nouns (such as CREATURE rather than BROWN to refer to the brown creature).

Here's a slightly amended walkthrough that works for the Elk version:

Code: Select all

GET CROW
GET MICRO
GET BUCKET
N
JOE
N
GET CARD
N
N
N
INSERT CARD
GET MONEY
S
S
S
SE
JUMP E
JUMP E
N
GET WATER
S
JUMP W
JUMP W
NW
E
DROP CROW
GET SCANNER
DROP MONEY
GET CROW
DROP MICRO
W
D
IN
S
GET UNIT
INSERT UNIT
E
SE
U
E
GET MICRO
W
SW
IN
USE SCANNER
S
E
W
S
S
THROW WATER
DROP BUCK
U
GET CANDL
D
N
N
N
OUT
NE
N
N
GET MATCH
NE
GET GRAT
DROP CROW
D
S
E
W
D
D
DROP SCAN
DROP MICRO
LIGHT CANDL
THROW CANDLE
D
GET TUBE
U
GET MICRO
U
E
E
U
W
W
S
SE
SE
GET CREATURE
NW
NW
W
D
S
E
E
U
IN
DROP CREAT
OUT
W
W
S
S
SE
E
JUMP E
N
THROW COIN
********************** [Note password]
S
JUMP W
JUMP W
NW
W
IN
********************** [SAY password]
OUT
DROP MATCH
E
N
W
D
S
S
SEARCH
GET ROBOT
N
E
E
U
W
W
S
S
SW
IN
S
S
W
NE
BREAK LOCK
W
W
W
LOOK
S
E
GET WIRE
S
S
W
E
N
N
OUT
NE
N
W
D
S
E
W
D
D
DROP TUBE
DROP MICRO
DROP TAG
DROP WIRE
D
E
E
D
GET SAND
SE
S
SE
U
GET WIRE
GET TUBE
GET MICRO
GET TAG
U
E
E
U
W
W
S
S
NW
GIVE SAND
W
W
GET GLOV
E
E
S
E
DROP MICRO
GET MONEY
GET CASE
OPEN CASE
PICK LOCK
GET ROD
DROP WIRE
GET MICRO
DROP TUBE
W
SE
JUMP E
JUMP E
GET BRANCH
N
N
E
VAULT FENCE
GET EGG
S
JUMP W
JUMP W
NW
SW
IN
S
S
W
S
SE
E
DROP EGG
S
E
NW
SE
E
N
SW
S
W
N
SW
S
RUB ROD
DROP ROD
DROP GLOV
N
N
S
E
N
NE
S
W
W
S
W
N
N
N
N
INSERT TAG
W
N
E
HELP
NE
DROP MICRO
SE
S
GET BLUE
N
NW
GET MICRO
HELP
SW
W
S
E
S
S
W
W
NW
N
NE
W
E
N
N
OUT
NE
W
IN
OUT
E
N
W
D
S
E
W
D
D
DROP MICRO
D
E
W
E
UNLOCK HATCH
E
N
N
W
SEARCH
GET INSTRU
EXAM INSTRU
E
S
S
W
W
N
SE
U
U
E
E
U
W
W
S
S
E
GET TUBE
W
SW
IN
S
S
W
NE
N
IN
PRESS BUTTON
BLOW TUBE

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:18 am

lurkio wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:24 pm
This isn't quite what you had in mind but here's a quick hack to make the Elk version run on .SSD in BBC Master mode in emulation:
So shouldn't that just copy to disc?

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:21 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:18 am
lurkio wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:24 pm
So shouldn't that just copy to disc?
Yes, and I think it'll work if whatever DFS you're using on the Elk leaves PAGE at &E00. But what I did probably needs cleaning up because it was a crude hack: I just hex-edited the .SSD and changed all instances of *TAPE to ***** which was probably overkill. (I also edited the !BOOT.) Also, I think the savegame code could be tweaked and made more usable for disc systems.

dramhampton

Post by dramhampton » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:42 pm

lurkio wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:51 pm
dramhampton wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:43 pm
Lurkio, I can tell you that to the best of my knowledge the gameplay should be absolutely the same. The risk, I fear, is that there is a bug lurking that has not been found because Acornsoft did not put the Electron version through their debugging process - as soon as I sent them the Electron version it became clear that it was not going to see the light of day so that was that. Where did the walkthrough fail?
Oops -- it was a bit of a false alarm. It turned out that in the Elk version you have to use different synonyms to refer to certain nouns (such as CREATURE rather than BROWN to refer to the brown creature).

Here's a slightly amended walkthrough that works for the Elk version:

GET CROW
GET MICRO
GET BUCKET
N
JOE
N
GET CARD
N
N
N
INSERT CARD
GET MONEY
S
S
S
SE
JUMP E
JUMP E
N
GET WATER
S
JUMP W
JUMP W
NW
E
DROP CROW
GET SCANNER
DROP MONEY
GET CROW
DROP MICRO
W
D
IN
S
GET UNIT
INSERT UNIT
E
SE
U
E
GET MICRO
W
SW
IN
USE SCANNER
S
E
W
S
S
THROW WATER
DROP BUCK
U
GET CANDL
D
N
N
N
OUT
NE
N
N
GET MATCH
NE
GET GRAT
DROP CROW
D
S
E
W
D
D
DROP SCAN
DROP MICRO
LIGHT CANDL
THROW CANDLE
D
GET TUBE
U
GET MICRO
U
E
E
U
W
W
S
SE
SE
GET CREATURE
NW
NW
W
D
S
E
E
U
IN
DROP CREAT
OUT
W
W
S
S
SE
E
JUMP E
N
THROW COIN
********************** [Note password]
S
JUMP W
JUMP W
NW
W
IN
OUT
DROP MATCH
E
N
W
D
S
S
SEARCH
GET ROBOT
N
E
E
U
W
W
S
S
SW
IN
S
S
W
NE
BREAK LOCK
W
W
W
LOOK
S
E
GET WIRE
S
S
W
E
N
N
OUT
NE
N
W
D
S
E
W
D
D
DROP TUBE
DROP MICRO
DROP TAG
DROP WIRE
D
E
E
D
GET SAND
SE
S
SE
U
GET WIRE
GET TUBE
GET MICRO
GET TAG
U
E
E
U
W
W
S
S
NW
GIVE SAND
W
W
GET GLOV
E
E
S
E
DROP MICRO
GET MONEY
GET CASE
OPEN CASE
PICK LOCK
GET ROD
DROP WIRE
GET MICRO
DROP TUBE
W
SE
JUMP E
JUMP E
GET BRANCH
N
N
E
VAULT FENCE
GET EGG
S
JUMP W
JUMP W
NW
SW
IN
S
S
W
S
SE
E
DROP EGG
S
E
NW
SE
E
N
SW
S
W
N
SW
S
RUB ROD
DROP ROD
DROP GLOV
N
N
S
E
N
NE
S
W
W
S
W
N
N
N
N
INSERT TAG
W
N
E
HELP
NE
DROP MICRO
SE
S
GET BLUE
N
NW
GET MICRO
HELP
SW
W
S
E
S
S
W
W
NW
N
NE
W
E
N
N
OUT
NE
W
IN
OUT
E
N
W
D
S
E
W
D
D
DROP MICRO
D
E
W
E
UNLOCK HATCH
E
N
N
W
SEARCH
GET INSTRU
EXAM INSTRU
E
S
S
W
W
N
SE
U
U
E
E
U
W
W
S
S
E
GET TUBE
W
SW
IN
S
S
W
NE
N
IN
PRESS BUTTON
BLOW TUBE
That's pretty much it. Once I started checking, I couldn't stop myself, despite the fear of dying (I have not worked out how to save games with the Elk version). The only error in this (and also the original CASA) walkthrough is that you when you go down the really narrow pipe, there is one too many "D" instructions. If you are carrying something bulky you will be told to drop something. If you are not... well, let's just say you might fetch up going down a bit further and sooner than it is wise to.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:32 pm

dramhampton wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:42 pm
The only error in this (and also the original CASA) walkthrough is that you when you go down the really narrow pipe, there is one too many "D" instructions.
I just saved a transcript of the Elk version, using an unaltered copy of the walkthrough above, which I pasted into the emulator window. (Incidentally, the transcript seems to reveal the way the text is decompressed and how the word-wrapping routine seems to "backtrack" if a word's too long to fit onto the end of a line, which is interesting! Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting the output?)

When you say there are one too many DOWN commands, I guess you're referring to this bit?:

You're in a dirty tunnel . Rats are scu			
scurrying all around you . A large hole				
hole in the floor leads down ; the tunn				
tunnel leads east 

->D

You are crawling through a large pipe .					
pipe. It's a tight squeeze , but you ar		
are just able to make it . The pipe con			
continues down , getting narrower all t	
the way 

There seems to be music coming from th		
the bottom of the pipe 

->D

The gap is too tight . You'll have to d	
drop something if you want to get thro				
through it 

->DROP SCAN

O.K.

->DROP MICRO

O.K.

->LIGHT CANDL

O.K.

->THROW CANDLE

O.K.

There is a loud explosion which knocks						
knocks you to the ground 

Looks like that candle was really a st		
stick of dynamite ! 

->D

At last ! You have reached the bottom o	
of the pipe 

There is a metal tube here 

The thieves are nowhere to be seen 
I think I see what you mean about "too many DOWNs", but it seems to work anyway..?!

dramhampton wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:42 pm
If you are carrying something bulky you will be told to drop something. If you are not... well, let's just say you might fetch up going down a bit further and sooner than it is wise to.
Or maybe you mean that the walkthrough, as given, assumes that you will be carrying something bulky (because it tells you to!)?

Just for completeness, here's the full transcript:

N

Position the database file . . . 

You are standing by the wreckage of a 
spacecraft . Barren plains are all arou				
around you - your only hope lies in th		
the city north of here 

There is a crowbar here 
There is a micro-micro computer here 
There is a bucket here 

->
->GET CROW

O.K.

->GET MICRO

O.K.

->GET BUCKET

O.K.

->N

This is the entrance to a large city . 
In the distance , shimmering blue spire					
spires reach up to the sky , their tops				
tops hidden by clouds 

A sentry stops you and demands curtly :							
curtly: 'Your name , please' 

->JOE

'You have been given the number 3013 . 
Proceed' 

->N

You are in a busy market place . Crowds						
Crowds of weird-looking aliens throng 
the gaily decorated stalls . There are 
exits in all directions 

There is a card here 

->GET CARD

O.K.

->N

You are in the middle of a crossroads 
in the cheaper end of the town . The sh		
shops here are rather tatty 

->N

You are walking past a parade of shops					
shops , all closed 

There is a matchbox here 

->N

Dead end . There is a slot in the wall 
in front of you 

->INSERT CARD

A deep voice demands : 'Number ? ' ->3013
There is a loud electronic bleep . A la		
large wad of banknotes materialises in		
in front of you 

->GET MONEY

O.K.

->S

shops , all closed 

There is a matchbox here 

->S

->S

exits in all directions 

->SE

You're walking down a narrow footpath .									
footpath. All around you , sulphurous p	
pools bubble merrily and clouds of dus			
dust blow across the bare earth 

->JUMP E

You are crossing a field of beautiful 
grey grass . The rumbling of a magnetos								
magnetostorm can be heard , far off to 
the north 

->JUMP E

You are walking along a path in the wo		
woods . The trees are tall and thin , an		
and sway violently in the breeze 

There is a long branch here 

->N

You are standing in a glade by a quain					
quaint old well . It is smothered in ti		
tiny larvae 

->GET WATER

O.K.

->S

->JUMP W

the north 

->JUMP W

->NW

exits in all directions 

->E

You have entered 'Q's all-purpose gadg				
gadget shop' . Q is here , waiting to se		
serve you 

There is an electronic scanner here 
There is a briefcase here 
There is a new battery pack here 

->DROP CROW

O.K.

->GET SCANNER

Q takes your money and hands you the s	
scanner 

->DROP MONEY

O.K.

->GET CROW

O.K.

->DROP MICRO

O.K.

->W

exits in all directions 

->D

You are at the entrance to a derelict 
underground station . The gates have be		
been boarded up for some years , but on		
one of the planks is loose so you shou				
should get in without any trouble 

->IN

You are in a complex network of underg						
underground tunnels 

->S

underground tunnels 

There is a power unit here 

->GET UNIT

O.K.

->INSERT UNIT

O.K.

->E

underground tunnels 

->SE

You are at the entrance to a derelict 
underground station . The gates have be		
been boarded up for some years , but on		
one of the planks is loose so you shou				
should get in without any trouble 

->U

exits in all directions 

->E

serve you 

There is a wad of banknotes here 

->GET MICRO

O.K.

->W

exits in all directions 

->SW

You are at the entrance to a large evi			
evil-looking building . The walls are b	
black and covered with sharp spikes . T	
There are no windows , and only one doo			
door . Above the door is a sign . The si		
sign says 'Empire Head Office' 

->IN

This is the reception area 

The receptionist smiles at you . 'Ah , 
Joe , isn't it ? ' She says . 'We've been 
expecting you . ' The door in the south					
south wall opens to reveal a tall figu				
figure wearing a black helmet and cloa				
cloak . He is carrying what would appea					
appear to be a fluorescent light , whic				
which hums ominously . 'Your presence h	
here is annoying me' rasps the figure .							
figure. 'I suggest you leave now , befo				
before it is too late' 

->USE SCANNER

The alien shudders and writhes in pain				
pain . His eyes bulge and smoke begins 
to pour from his cloak . Gradually , his			
his body melts into a small black pudd				
puddle . The receptionist runs forward 
to collect the strange liquid . Her eye			
eyes glow red as she points a threaten								
threatening finger at you and shouts : 
'You ! You can run - but you can't hide				
hide ! ' Then she is gone 

->S

You're in a long , dark corridor . The s	
sound of your boots on the steel floor					
floor is attracting attention to you . 
A passing robot eyes you suspiciously 

->E

This is the useless room . It contains 
nothing and serves no purpose 

->W

->S

You are tiptoeing nervously down a win			
winding corridor . It seems to be getti					
getting wider , and the walls are curli					
curling over to merge with the roof . T	
There is a door in the south wall , and			
and the corridor turns off to the west				
west 

->S

This is the death room . The walls are 
black (apart from the bloodstains) . Th		
There is a door in the ceiling 

There is an electric chair here 

->THROW WATER

O.K.

Sparks fly as the water seeps into the			
the electric chair . There is a loud ba		
bang , then silence 

->DROP BUCK

O.K.

->U

You climb up onto the electric chair a	
and reach the hole easily 

You are in a small dusty room used to 
store victims of the electric chair . P	
Perhaps it would be better if I didn't						
didn't describe the contents fully . . . 

There is a candle here 

->GET CANDL

O.K.

->D

This is the death room . The walls are 
black (apart from the bloodstains) . Th		
There is a door in the ceiling 

There is a bucket here 
There is an electric chair here 

->N

west 

->N

->N

->OUT

->NE

exits in all directions 

->N

->N

shops , all closed 

There is a matchbox here 

->GET MATCH

O.K.

->NE

You're in a sinister side street . Who 
knows what lurks in the shadows . . . 

There is a grating set into the floor her			
here 

->GET GRAT

Using the crowbar , you are just able t	
to lift the grating . There is a foul s	
smell coming from the deep shaft set i	
into the floor 

->DROP CROW

O.K.

->D

You're in a dark subterranean passage 
under the grating . The air is musty an		
and damp , and the thick layer of gunge					
gunge on the floor makes it hard to wa		
walk . To the north is a pile of rubble						
rubble where the roof has caved in , so		
so your only route is south 

->S

You are walking down a dimly-lit passa					
passage covered in a slimy , sticky sub			
substance . There is an extremely uninv					
uninviting hole in the east wall 

->E

You have come to a junction in the pas			
passage . A thick , viscous liquid oozes					
oozes from the ceiling and drops into 
a pool on the floor . The sound of the 
drips echoes down the passage . To the 
north is a gaping hole , while the tunn				
tunnel runs east-west 

->W

tunnel leads east 

->D

the way 

There seems to be music coming from th		
the bottom of the pipe 

->D

through it 

->DROP SCAN

O.K.

->DROP MICRO

O.K.

->LIGHT CANDL

O.K.

->THROW CANDLE

O.K.

There is a loud explosion which knocks						
knocks you to the ground 

Looks like that candle was really a st		
stick of dynamite ! 

->D

of the pipe 

The thieves are nowhere to be seen 

->GET TUBE

O.K.

->U

the way 

->GET MICRO

O.K.

->U

tunnel leads east 

->E

tunnel runs east-west 

->E

You're at the foot of a ladder which l	
leads up to the street 

->U

You are on a deserted street next to a	
a phone booth . The back entrance of an		
an old shop lies to the west , and a ma		
manhole leads down into darkness 

->W

You're in a disused shop . The shelves 
are full of cobwebs and a fine layer o	
of dust covers the floor 

->W

shops , all closed 

->S

->SE

You are walking down a side street . Th		
The road glistens in the haze of a sol			
solitary street lamp 

->SE

You're standing at the end of the side				
side street . The dwellings around here				
here are much smaller than those on Ea		
Earth , and in a terrible state of repa				
repair 

There is a small brown creature here 

She has a large head and long brown fi		
fingers . She is staring sadly at a pic			
picture of her son 

->GET CREATURE

O.K.

->NW

You are walking down a side street . Th		
The road glistens in the haze of a sol			
solitary street lamp 

->NW

->W

There is a crowbar here 
There is a grating lying in the road here				
here 

->D

->S

->E

tunnel runs east-west 

->E

leads up to the street 

->U

->IN

You are in a phone booth at the side o	
of the street . The light in the ceilin						
ceiling came on as soon as you stepped							
stepped inside 

The phone is ringing 

->DROP CREAT

O.K.

The small brown creature lifts the rec			
receiver . 'At last ! ' She says . 'He's 
phoning home ! ' . As a token of her gra			
gratitude , she gives you a single gold				
gold coin 

->OUT

->W

of dust covers the floor 

->W

shops , all closed 

->S

->S

exits in all directions 

->SE

->E

the north 

->JUMP E

->N

tiny larvae 

->THROW COIN

O.K.

Splosh ! A face appears in the water an		
and says . . . Remember : gruster 

->
->S

->JUMP W

the north 

->JUMP W

->NW

exits in all directions 

->W

You are in front of a charity shop . Th		
The windows are full of old clothes 

->IN

You're in the charity shop . The shop i	
is empty . There are no old clothes in 
here 

There is an old lady here 

The old lady is shaking a collecting b	
box 

->SAY GRUSTER

O.K.

Right ! The old lady smiles happily and			
and shows you into a back room 

This is the headquarters of the rebels						
rebels . They are plotting to overthrow									
overthrow the empire 

The rebel leader tells you that he wil			
will help you get back to earth if you			
you bring him the blueprints he needs 
to defeat the Empire . You are given a 
fake security tag to help you gain acc			
access to them 

->
->OUT

->DROP MATCH

O.K.

->E

exits in all directions 

->N

->W

There is a crowbar here 
here 

->D

->S

->S

Dead end . There are piles of rubbish e	
everywhere and flies swarm above your 
head 

You can hear faint moans coming from t	
the rubbish 

->SEARCH

Aha ! Guess what I've found ! 
Dead end . There are piles of rubbish e	
everywhere and flies swarm above your 
head 

There is a depressed robot here 

'I suppose you expect me to be gratefu							
grateful' moans the robot 

->GET ROBOT

The robot refuses to be carried , but a	
agrees to follow you 

->N

->E

tunnel runs east-west 

->E

leads up to the street 

->U

->W

of dust covers the floor 

->W

shops , all closed 

->S

->S

exits in all directions 

->SW

->IN

->S

->S

west 

->W

You are in a large hall . It resembles 
the inside of the ribcage of some vast				
vast creature . A massive door is set i	
in the south wall ; there is also a rat			
rather more dignified door leading nor			
north east 

->NE

You're in a departure lounge . Soothing								
Soothing music fills the air . Double d	
doors marked 'Transporter' are set int			
into the north wall 

The doors are held together by a huge 
padlock 

->BREAK LOCK

Muttering something about having to wo		
work with amateurs , the robot steps fo		
forward and smashes the padlock with a	
a single blow 

->W

north east 

->W

You are in a bare room which has only 
recently been built . The floor feels u	
unsafe and the walls are propped up pr		
precariously with pieces of wood 

->W

This room is only partly completed , an		
and the floor creaks loudly 

->LOOK

Suddenly the floor gives way , and you 
land in the room below with an almight							
almighty crash 

->S

You are in a secret underground chambe						
chamber 

->E

You are in a secret underground chambe						
chamber 

There is a piece of bent wire here 

->GET WIRE

O.K.

->S

You are in the Transporter Room . It is		
is bare except for a cubicle in the ce		
centre , which hums quietly . Double doo			
doors are set into the south wall 

The doors are wide open 

->S

into the north wall 

The doors are wide open 

->W

north east 

->E

west 

->N

->N

->OUT

->NE

exits in all directions 

->N

->W

There is a crowbar here 
here 

->D

->S

->E

tunnel runs east-west 

->W

tunnel leads east 

->D

the way 

->D

through it 

->DROP TUBE

O.K.

->DROP MICRO

O.K.

->DROP TAG

O.K.

->DROP WIRE

O.K.

->D

of the pipe 

->E

You are in a dark system of tunnels 

->E

You are in a system of dark tunnels 

->D

You are in a system of dark undergroun										
underground tunnels 

There is a sandwich here 

->GET SAND

O.K.

->SE

You are in a system of dark tunnels 

->S

->SE

of the pipe 

->U

the way 

There is a fake security tag here 

->GET WIRE

O.K.

->GET TUBE

O.K.

->GET MICRO

O.K.

->GET TAG

O.K.

->U

tunnel leads east 

->E

tunnel runs east-west 

->E

leads up to the street 

->U

->W

of dust covers the floor 

->W

shops , all closed 

->S

->S

exits in all directions 

->NW

You are standing at the entrance to a 
dark alley , which bends away to the we		
west . It looks pretty unsafe to me 

There is a dog here 

He's a big brute - and he's standing i	
in your way 

->GIVE SAND

The dog eats the sandwich and suddenly								
suddenly becomes quite friendly 

->W

This is a dark part of the alley . Can 
we go back please ? 

->W

You're at the end of the alley . There 
is an old dustbin without a lid here . 
In the darkness you can only just see 
its contents 

There is an old fur glove here 
There is a magazine here 

->GET GLOV

O.K.

->E

This is a dark part of the alley . Can 
we go back please ? 

->E

You are standing at the entrance to a 
dark alley , which bends away to the we		
west . It looks pretty unsafe to me 

There is a dog here 

->S

exits in all directions 

->E

serve you 

There is a wad of banknotes here 

->DROP MICRO

O.K.

->GET MONEY

O.K.

->GET CASE

Q takes your money and hands you the b	
briefcase 

->OPEN CASE

The briefcase is locked 

->PICK LOCK

The locks fly open and the contents of		
of the briefcase fall to the floor . Th		
Then , without warning , the briefcase b	
bursts into flames and disappears in a	
a cloud of smoke 

->GET ROD

O.K.

->DROP WIRE

O.K.

->GET MICRO

O.K.

->DROP TUBE

O.K.

->W

exits in all directions 

->SE

->JUMP E

the north 

->JUMP E

->GET BRANCH

O.K.

->N

tiny larvae 

->N

You're walking down a narrow path , lin			
lined by electric cables . The path ent			
enters from the south and bends to the			
the east 

->E

You have come to the end of the path . 
The way east is barred by a tall fence					
fence , beyond which curious noises can			
can be heard . The wires in the fence g	
glow ominously 

->VAULT FENCE

You sail gracefully over the fence and			
and land safely 

You are in an alien breeding enclosure									
enclosure . The ground is uneven and an		
and is made from a transparent membran							
membrane , under which numerous shapes 
can be seen expanding and contracting .												
contracting. The air is filled with gu		
gurgling noises . Your only exit is a s	
secret path leading south 

There is a strange egg here 

->GET EGG

O.K.

->S

->JUMP W

the north 

->JUMP W

->NW

exits in all directions 

->SW

->IN

->S

->S

west 

->W

north east 

->S

You're in a large concrete chamber . A 
sign on the wall to the southeast warn				
warns : No unauthorised entry 

->SE

You have entered the Guard's Storage R	
Room . The walls are lined with cubicle							
cubicles , each one containing a heavil						
heavily armoured guard . These creature								
creatures are half humanoid , half mach				
machine . Their instructions are progra						
programmed through radio receivers att			
attached to their skulls . Through thei				
their masks , you can just make out the			
the faces of previous (unsuccessful) a	
adventurers . One of the cubicles is em		
empty . Underneath , a plate reads : 

Reserved for Joe

->E

You are at a sentry post . A hidden cam			
camera watches your every move . The mo		
most obvious exit is east 

There is a guard here 

The guard shouts : 

'Halt ! Enemy intruder ! Take him to the			
the Torture Room ! ' It looks like you 
don't have much choice . . . 

You are in the Torture Room 

The torture-master introduces himself .								
himself. 'Good day' he says . 'My name 
is Slime . Mr . Blobov Slime . But my fri			
friends call me Blob' . Mr . Slime is ho		
holding you down as you struggle for b	
breath in a tank of water 

->DROP EGG

The shell cracks open and a yellow cra			
crab-like creature leaps out . It jumps					
jumps up and attaches itself to Blobov						
Blobov's face . As he falls to the floo				
floor , hundreds of small furry creatur							
creatures rush into the room and carry					
carry his lifeless body away 

->S

You are in a long corridor with doors 
 leading off in all directions 

->E

->NW

->SE

->E

->N

->SW

->S

->W

->N

->SW

You are at the north end of an immense							
immense hall . The walls are covered wi		
with neon lights and you can hardly se		
see because of the glare 

->S

You are at the Guard Control Centre , s	
surrounded by computers . A radio trans					
transmitter is set in the wall . Its pr		
protective cover is unbreakable 

From a small loudspeaker , you can hear				
hear commands being sent to the guards						
guards 

->RUB ROD

As you rub the ebonite rod it begins t	
to spark with static electricity 

The commands coming from the loudspeak									
loudspeaker are being drowned by inter					
interference caused by the ebonite rod			
rod 

->DROP ROD

O.K.

->DROP GLOV

O.K.

->N

You are at the north end of an immense							
immense hall . The walls are covered wi		
with neon lights and you can hardly se		
see because of the glare 

->N

->S

->E

->N

->NE

->S

->W

->W

->S

->W

->N

You are in the Torture Room 

->N

You are in a spares store 

->N

You have reached the Guard's Control O	
Office . Small doors lead north and wes			
west . TV screens around the room monit					
monitor the entire building 

->N

You are at a security check . There is 
a slot in the wall . Above and below it		
it , large coloured panels flash rhythm						
rhythmically 

The security door is closed 

->INSERT TAG

The door opens and you are whisked int			
into the next room 

You have reached the interview room . T	
The walls are lined with whips and thu			
thumbscrews . I suggest you get out of 
here as quickly as possible (there are			
are exits south and west) 

The security door is open 

->W

You're at an inspection point . The doo			
door frame to the north houses a metal					
metal-detector 

->N

Mu-Mu did not appreciate being carried							
carried through that detector - he com			
complains that it nearly blew half his			
his circuits ! 
You are in a shiny steel chamber . Wisp				
Wisps of green smoke waft into the cha			
chamber through cracks in the floor . D	
Distant voices echo round the walls - 
they are coming from the east 

->E

You are in the top-security wing of th		
the building . You can hear voices sing				
singing . A large microphone hangs in m	
mid-air , just out of your reach 

On the north east wall , a sign says : '	
'Voice print analysis . Speak here to i	
identify yourself' 

->HELP

Mu-Mu says : 'Good evening . Just checki						
checking security' . The voice he speak					
speaks in is exactly the same as that 
of the tall dark alien you encountered											
encountered at the entrance to this bu		
building 

->NE

You are in a white passage . Voices can			
can be heard singing loudly - they see			
seem to be coming from the door to the			
the south east 

On the south west wall , a sign says : '	
identify yourself' 

->DROP MICRO

O.K.

->SE

The sounds of a massed choir resound a	
around this room . (It's probably not a	
a tune you'll recognise) . Only the hel			
helmet of your spacesuit protects you 
from the immense radiation in this are			
area . It all seems to be coming from t	
the large black monolith set in the mi		
middle of the floor . The door in the s	
south wall is ornately decorated with 
jewels whose colours change with the m	
music . Golden letters proclaim : 'The O	
Office of The Supreme Engineer' 

There is a monolith here 

->S

You are in The Office of The Supreme E	
Engineer , otherwise known as The Hush-					
Hush-Hush Keep It Under Your Hat Room 

There is a set of blueprints here 

->GET BLUE

O.K.

->N

The sounds of a massed choir resound a	
around this room . (It's probably not a	
a tune you'll recognise) . Only the hel			
helmet of your spacesuit protects you 
from the immense radiation in this are			
area . It all seems to be coming from t	
the large black monolith set in the mi		
middle of the floor . The door in the s	
south wall is ornately decorated with 
jewels whose colours change with the m	
music . Golden letters proclaim : 'The O	
Office of The Supreme Engineer' 

There is a monolith here 

->NW

You are in a white passage . Voices can			
can be heard singing loudly - they see			
seem to be coming from the door to the			
the south east 

On the south west wall , a sign says : '	
identify yourself' 

->GET MICRO

O.K.

->HELP

Mu-Mu says : 'Good evening . Just checki						
checking security' . The voice he speak					
speaks in is exactly the same as that 
of the tall dark alien you encountered											
encountered at the entrance to this bu		
building 

->SW

You are in the top-security wing of th		
the building . You can hear voices sing				
singing . A large microphone hangs in m	
mid-air , just out of your reach 

On the north east wall , a sign says : '	
identify yourself' 

->W

You are in a shiny steel chamber . Wisp				
Wisps of green smoke waft into the cha			
chamber through cracks in the floor . D	
Distant voices echo round the walls - 
they are coming from the east 

->S

Mu-Mu did not appreciate being carried							
carried through that detector - he com			
complains that it nearly blew half his			
his circuits ! 
You're at an inspection point . The doo			
door frame to the north houses a metal					
metal-detector 

->E

You have reached the interview room . T	
The walls are lined with whips and thu			
thumbscrews . I suggest you get out of 
here as quickly as possible (there are			
are exits south and west) 

->S

You are at a security check . There is 
a slot in the wall . Above and below it		
it , large coloured panels flash rhythm						
rhythmically 

->S

You have reached the Guard's Control O	
Office . Small doors lead north and wes			
west . TV screens around the room monit					
monitor the entire building 

->W

You are at a sentry post . A hidden cam			
camera watches your every move . The mo		
most obvious exit is east 

There is a guard babbling incoherently h	
here 

->W

You have entered the Guard's Storage R	
Room . The walls are lined with cubicle							
cubicles , each one containing a heavil						
heavily armoured guard . These creature								
creatures are half humanoid , half mach				
machine . Their instructions are progra						
programmed through radio receivers att			
attached to their skulls . Through thei				
their masks , you can just make out the			
the faces of previous (unsuccessful) a	
adventurers . One of the cubicles is em		
empty . Underneath , a plate reads : 

Reserved for Joe

->NW

You're in a large concrete chamber . A 
sign on the wall to the southeast warn				
warns : No unauthorised entry 

->N

north east 

->NE

into the north wall 

The doors are wide open 

->W

north east 

->E

west 

->N

->N

->OUT

->NE

exits in all directions 

->W

There is a matchbox here 

->IN

You're in the charity shop . The shop i	
is empty . There are no old clothes in 
here 

There is an old lady here 

The old lady is shaking a collecting b	
box 

->SAY GRUSTER

O.K.

Right ! The old lady smiles happily and			
and shows you into a back room 

This is the headquarters of the rebels						
rebels . They are plotting to overthrow									
overthrow the empire 

You are welcomed back as a hero and gi		
given a bunch of keys 

->
->OUT

There is a matchbox here 

->E

exits in all directions 

->N

->W

There is a crowbar here 
here 

->D

->S

->E

tunnel runs east-west 

->W

tunnel leads east 

->D

the way 

->D

through it 

->DROP MICRO

O.K.

->D

of the pipe 

->E

->W

You are in a dark system of small tunn				
tunnels 

Strangely , this area is much larger th		
than the one you have just been crawli						
crawling through , and it is lit by a p	
powerful modern-looking lamp 

->E

You are in a bright , shining steel pip			
pipe 

The end is tightly sealed by a small l	
locked hatch 

->UNLOCK HATCH

The hatch opens and there is a sudden 
rush of air into the room 

->E

You have found the Empire's secret res			
research laboratory . A mass spectromet										
spectrometer to your left is focused o	
on what would appear to be a piece of 
fairycake 

->N

You are walking past racks of test-tub								
test-tubes containing liquids in varyi					
varying shades of black . Some of the l	
liquids are trying to crawl out of the			
the test-tubes 

->N

You are on a gangway above the main la		
laboratory 

->W

You have entered a small office . The d	
desk is smothered with papers 

->SEARCH

Aha ! Guess what I've found ! 
You have entered a small office . The d	
desk is smothered with papers 

There is an instruction sheet here 

->GET INSTRU

O.K.

->EXAM INSTRU

The instructions tell you which button						
button to press in order to use a tran				
transporter cubicle 

->E

You are on a gangway above the main la		
laboratory 

->S

You are walking past racks of test-tub								
test-tubes containing liquids in varyi					
varying shades of black . Some of the l	
liquids are trying to crawl out of the			
the test-tubes 

->S

You have found the Empire's secret res			
research laboratory . A mass spectromet										
spectrometer to your left is focused o	
on what would appear to be a piece of 
fairycake 

->W

You are in a bright , shining steel pip			
pipe 

->W

You are in a dark system of small tunn				
tunnels 

->N

->SE

of the pipe 

->U

the way 

->U

tunnel leads east 

->E

tunnel runs east-west 

->E

leads up to the street 

->U

->W

of dust covers the floor 

->W

shops , all closed 

->S

->S

exits in all directions 

->E

serve you 

->GET TUBE

O.K.

->W

exits in all directions 

->SW

->IN

->S

->S

west 

->W

north east 

->NE

into the north wall 

The doors are wide open 

->N

You are in the Transporter Room . It is		
is bare except for a cubicle in the ce		
centre , which hums quietly . Double doo			
doors are set into the south wall 

The doors are wide open 

->IN

The humming sound is much louder in he		
here . The walls are vibrating slightly								
slightly and you are bathed in a dim r	
red light 

->PRESS BUTTON

As the door closes , you feel strange , 
faint , dizzy . . . Slowly , you vanish . . . 
You re-materialise to find . . . 

You are on the top of a mountain . You 
are surrounded by computers , transmitt									
transmitters , cameras and other gadget						
gadgets too clever to describe . A few 
yards away is a huge landing pad . All 
around you , technicians are standing , 
waiting expectantly . They are all look				
looking at you 

->BLOW TUBE

The music from your flute acts as a si		
signal that everything is ready . From 
out of the sky a huge spacecraft emerg					
emerges , and lands with a shudder . A h	
hatch opens and a cheerful robot emerg					
emerges . 'Congratulations ! ' It says . 
'You're going home at last' 

Take this opportunity to give yourself								
yourself a well-deserved round of appl				
applause ! 

Looks like this game is over . Would yo		
you like another ?

dramhampton

Post by dramhampton » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:09 pm

Yes Lurkio you are right because the extra "Down" command simply results in you being told to drop something.

Ah! The word wrap! Yes, that rings a bell, I think (a 35-year-old bell) - how to manage word wrap when the words are being added one at a time and you do not know how long the next word is going to be - yes, I think you guessed it right. You can also clearly see that the words appear one at a time (reasonably quickly of course) - that is because the text compression system creates a code number for each word or common phrase in the game

dramhampton

Post by dramhampton » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:56 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:13 pm
dramhampton wrote:
So: my BBC micro booted up perfectly, and the trusty old green screen monitor still worked a treat, until I noticed clouds of smoke pouring from the power supply unit.
Sounds like a capacitors issue with the psu, a very common problem for old beebs. Same thing happened to me a year or two ago, still haven't got it fixed. If you're a dab hand with a screwdriver and a soldering iron it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you. See youtube or these forums for a solution.

I personally prefer to use the Beebem emulator as you get lots of goodies thrown in including different Beeb models, lots of SW ram banks, a choice of 4 different second processors and a brilliant ramsave facility. You could even try to solve your own game...
Many thanks fuzzel. I had a wad of money, so I followed your advice and had a man with a soldering iron fix my Beeb. Bought a replacement disk drive too so everything now as good as new. I am now holding: a small wad of money