OSWORD &7F on DFS vs MMFS

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
0xC0DE

OSWORD &7F on DFS vs MMFS

Post by 0xC0DE » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:17 pm

I'm trying some test code doing raw sector reads (OSWORD &7F) on my Acorn Electron on DFS (in an emulator, btw) and on MMFS 1.4x (on a real Electron).

My first question: I know MMFS is based on DFS but the underlying medium (SD-card) is much faster. Is MMFS artificially kept at the same speed as DFS? Because I am getting similar throughput speeds. Max 5.5Kb/s. I thought MMFS would be much faster than that.

Second question: is there a fundamental difference between doing raw sector reads with OSWORD &7F on DFS vs MMFS? My test code is working fine on DFS but producing MMC Read Faults on MMFS 1.4x at random places during testing. My assumption was that code for DFS should work unmodified on MMFS.
0xC0DE
:idea: Follow me on Twitter :idea: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

kieranhj

Re: OSWORD &7F on DFS vs MMFS

Post by kieranhj » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:22 pm

I can’t answer your questions #-o but I do have some to add of my own. The Teletext Bad Apple demo uses OSWORD &7F for multi-sector reads and used to work fine on MMFS (in fact I recall I had to make some changes to the way the streaming worked to accommodate) but I haven’t been able to get it running recently - it just hangs. :(

I haven’t had chance to debug yet, or write a repro test, but have there been any changes to the implementation that might affect it? This was using a very recent version of the ROM that Tricky burnt for me at the last ABUG.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:42 am

0xC0DE wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:17 pm
My first question: I know MMFS is based on DFS but the underlying medium (SD-card) is much faster. Is MMFS artificially kept at the same speed as DFS? Because I am getting similar throughput speeds. Max 5.5Kb/s. I thought MMFS would be much faster than that.
MMFS does not deliberately slow it's self down.
0xC0DE wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:17 pm
Second question: is there a fundamental difference between doing raw sector reads with OSWORD &7F on DFS vs MMFS? My test code is working fine on DFS but producing MMC Read Faults on MMFS 1.4x at random places during testing. My assumption was that code for DFS should work unmodified on MMFS.
MMC Read Faults are likely to be a bug in MMFS, or possibly a very slow SD Card.

How is the MMC interface connected to the Electron? (i.e. what build of MMFS are you using)

Dave

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:04 am

I have tested on 2 products by Ramtop. The ElkSD64 connected to the Elk expansion port. And the ElkSD-Plus1 which plugs into a cartridge slot of the Plus 1.

What is the expected speed of MMFS on such a setup?
0xC0DE
:idea: Follow me on Twitter :idea: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:56 am

kieranhj wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:22 pm
I can’t answer your questions #-o but I do have some to add of my own. The Teletext Bad Apple demo uses OSWORD &7F for multi-sector reads and used to work fine on MMFS (in fact I recall I had to make some changes to the way the streaming worked to accommodate) but I haven’t been able to get it running recently - it just hangs. :(

I haven’t had chance to debug yet, or write a repro test, but have there been any changes to the implementation that might affect it? This was using a very recent version of the ROM that Tricky burnt for me at the last ABUG.
Sounds like a bug/regession in MMFS/

Can you provide a few more details please, so I can try to replicate:
- version of MMFS that doesn't work
- version of MMFS that does work (if you can remember)
- hardware configuration (Beeb, Master, etc)
- brand of SD card
- link to the version of the Bad Apple Demo being used

Dave

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:01 am

0xC0DE wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:04 am
What is the expected speed of MMFS on such a setup?
Absolutely no idea, but significantly slower than the user port version, because the SPI interface is being bit-banged.

I would guess about half the speed.

(I'm assuming this is using the Electron Printer Port build of MMFS)

Dave

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:08 am

hoglet wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:01 am
I wouldn't have thought so, as it's in a cartridge!

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:32 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:08 am
hoglet wrote:
Ah, but I believe all of Ramtop's interfaces re-implement a Electron Printer Port (EPP) interface in the CPLD for driving the SD Card, even the cartridge port one.

Dave

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:55 am

hoglet wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:32 am
daveejhitchins wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:08 am
hoglet wrote:
Ah, but I believe all of Ramtop's interfaces re-implement a Electron Printer Port (EPP) interface in the CPLD for driving the SD Card, even the cartridge port one.

Dave
Ah! OK . . .

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:02 am

hoglet wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:32 am
Spot on, Dave. They all implement just enough of the EPP for MMFS to work. The ElkSD-Plus 1 merely changes the addresses used so as not to clash with the actual EPP.

I've never actually tested the speed, games load in a few seconds which qualifies as 'quick enough' in my book, but 5-6K/sec sounds quite likely.
Gary

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:45 pm

hoglet wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:56 am
Sounds like a bug/regession in MMFS/

Can you provide a few more details please, so I can try to replicate:
- version of MMFS that doesn't work
- version of MMFS that does work (if you can remember)
- hardware configuration (Beeb, Master, etc)
- brand of SD card
- link to the version of the Bad Apple Demo being used

Dave
Hi Dave - yes, I will file a proper bug report as soon as I can - at the very latest it’ll be ABUG. Apologies for the vague wafting statement to the effect of “my thing used to work and now it doesn’t”.

Would you prefer this to be filed as an issue on GitHub?
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:11 pm

kieranhj wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:45 pm
Would you prefer this to be filed as an issue on GitHub?
Yes please, then I won't forget about it.

Dave