Joystick interfaces

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
hubersn

Joystick interfaces

Post by hubersn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:17 pm

Hi,

I am trying to remember details about the various ways to connect joysticks to RISC OS machines (pre USB). I am interested in details like digital/analogue, how many ports, which variants, was there software to emulate the keyboard, was there software to provide the A3010 Acorn Joystick SWIs, how many buttons were supported. What I have so far:
* ACE JoyConnect - podule, two ports (Chris' Acorn says up to four), up to three buttons
* IOC Gamer's Upgrade - internal (IIC), four ports, modules for keyboard emulation and Acorn Joystick SWIs
* RTFM - internal (Econet), two ports
* LogikJoy - internal (Econet), RTFM clone, two ports, modules for keyboard emulation and Acorn Joystick SWIs
* TSP The Serial Port - parallel port, one or two ports
* Joypad interface (Paradise, Ian Jeffray) - parallel port, for PSX pads
* Build-yourself interface by Ian Haylock - parallel port, two ports, modules for keyboard emulation and Acorn Joystick SWIs

I think there was also an interface for analogue joysticks, the name escapes me. I think it was mentioned in the Interdictor manual.

How many buttons did the A3010 interface support?

Thanks for any details anyone can provide!
hubersn

IanS

Re: Joystick interfaces

Post by IanS » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:21 pm

hubersn wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:17 pm
How many buttons did the A3010 interface support?
From the curcuit diagram, the joystick ports only support 5 inputs, so only 1 fire button per port.

SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:50 pm

GamesPad/GamesPad Pro connects two SNES controllers to the printer port. 8 buttons each, software allows keyboard mapping and RISC OS 3 joystick SWIs. IIRC the only difference between GamesPad and GamesPad Pro is the exact type of controller used, with the latter having turbo.

The Serial Port interface should support 2 buttons per joystick. RTFM supports only 1.

richw

Post by richw » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:01 pm

TSP supported their own API and also the Acorn one. It also provided comprehensive keyboard and mouse emulation.

The 'delta cat' interface was an analogue stick with three buttons which plugged into the mouse port. I think this was the Interdictor option.

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:39 pm

Although not directly what you're after, I went through the game code of just about every game to compile a list of Joystick interfaces in use.

In total 9 different interfaces are officially supported, but with the advent of the Joystick SWI, anyone could knock up a physical Joystick so there's lots of actual Joysticks.
hubersn wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:17 pm
I think there was also an interface for analogue joysticks, the name escapes me. I think it was mentioned in the Interdictor manual.
You might be thinking of Saloon Cars, Interdictor doesn't appear to contain any Joystick code, unless it's using the mouse.

The only other Analogue Joystick I'm aware of is the Voltmace, which replaced the mouse.

Based on game code, most games only supported digital Joysticks or converted analogue to on/off states. I know we had fun and games getting all games working with USBJoystick because of the variety of ways used to convert the Acorn interface to on/off. A surprising number of games did the conversion incorrectly, so I had to fix some so joysticks actually worked.

hubersn

Post by hubersn » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:13 am

sirbod wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:39 pm
The only other Analogue Joystick I'm aware of is the Voltmace, which replaced the mouse.
Voltmace! That was it what I didn't remember. Thanks a lot, I will sleep well tonight.

Have fun
hubersn