BBC Micro (non working), other kit and mags, etc.

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
Mel_P

BBC Micro (non working), other kit and mags, etc.

Post by Mel_P » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:34 pm

I pulled this micro out of the loft and it booted. wrote a simple basic prog. BUT then next time, it failed to boot and now gives a continuous beep. Tried simple but time consuming tests (e.g. reseating socketed chips, looking for dry joints, checking volts) but to no avail.

So I have spent enough time on it and decided (prompted by my other half!!) it's time for it to go "for spares". This is what I have:

Hardware: BBC Model B with Acorn DFS, 32 K. with Issue 4 board. NON-working – did work but has continuous droning beep.
Opus disk drive unit with 5.25" 80T drive and 3” Disk drives. Working when last used but cannot test (with manual)
Many used 5.25 and 3” disks.
2 power supplies - one bought as a replacement, one (now working) with replaced capacitors)
Originally had an LVL double density DFS system. Lots of EPROMS.

Books: The Advanced User Guide for the BBC Micro – Bray, Dickens and Holmes, Third Edn 1983.
Structured Basic – A guide to Good Programming Style for the BBC Microcomputer – Richard Freeman, 1984.
Interfacing and Control with the BBC Micro = Robert Johnson, Cameron Procter and Andrew Reglinski, 1984
Creative Graphics on the BBC Microcomputer – John Cownie, 1982
Assembly Language Programming for the BBC Computer – Ian BirnBaum, 1983
BBC Micromputer System User Guide – John Coll.1982
Advanced Programming Techniques for the BBC Micro – Jim McCgregor and Alan Wall, 1983
Magazines: BBC Micro user / The Micro User – first 5 years 1983 on 5 annual sets + a few later magazines.

Also have some interface devices - voice synthesiser, plus kit I made from magazine articles.

It's "for collection" only (Kent) - and a donation to the British Heart Foundation. please.

1024MAK

Re: BBC Micro (non working), other kit and mags, etc.

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:48 am

Hello Mel and welcome to StarDot

Are you really sure that you want to sell it?

The fault symptoms you describe are fairly common. Many a Beeb has been brought back from the dead that had the same symptoms as yours.

Maybe you would like to look through the fault finding index thread to get an idea of problems other members faced and how they fixed their machines.

Other half’s often at first see old computers as something that has no value and so want you to get rid of it. Strangely enough you are not the first person to have this problem. So a lot of forum members find that obtaining more Acorn computers helps, you know, safety in numbers :mrgreen:

I’ve moved your thread into the trading / for sale / freebies section, as if you are looking to pass all your Acorn kit on to another member, this is the more appropriate section.

If however you do decide to keep it and either repair your Beeb yourself, or have someone else repair it for you, then just say so.

If you do decide to stick around, maybe you would like to introduce yourself ;-)

Please note that new members can receive private messages (PMs) but cannot reply or send them.

Mark

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:18 am

Hi Mel.

What mark says. :?

Before getting rid swap the 6522 chips round and reseat the keyboard connector. Two very simple and quick things to do. After that it will be the repair thread.
- John

vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:07 am

Maybe someone down south could collect it and divvy the bits out to everyone, with everyone donating to the British Heart Foundation as requested. I'd be interested in the 3" drives, and 3" disks.

Mel_P

Post by Mel_P » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:19 am

SORRY - 1 x 5"; 1 X 3" drive. (2 drives in one BBC micro coloured, mains powered box). Mel

paulj

Post by paulj » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:01 pm

PM Sent, I think I should be able to collect these and donate to BHF

Mel_P

Post by Mel_P » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:18 am

This is still available and in a box awaiting collection?

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi Mel - I sent you a PM, you can reply to them now.

Obviously Mel is keen that this gear all goes to a user, and not someone who's going to resell everything. I'm not down in that neck of the woods myself so can't pick up to pass on as appropriate. I'll try and poke at some people who might be down around there.

Mel_P

Post by Mel_P » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:00 pm

Thanks.

markjw

Post by markjw » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:09 pm

would be getting this stuff to West London or one of the ABUG South meets @ Camberley be of any interest to anyone - there is a good chance I'll be heading to the Ramsgate area in the next few weeks and will be passing Maidstone on my way.
Mark

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:21 pm

I think getting it along to abug would be the optimum solution here :)

d.

paulj

Post by paulj » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi Mel

Please could you contact me, I had no reply from my pm, and was not aware it was waiting to be collected

I would like to have the chance to do so, I feel that is fair as I enquired earlier

:twisted:

paulj

Post by paulj » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:49 pm

danielj wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:21 pm
I think getting it along to abug would be the optimum solution here :)

d.
I would like to have chance to collect it as I enquired earlier. I don't know what's happening with my messages and posts on this forum. I don't seem to be getting replies other members seem to have little effort it doing.

I had no idea box was waiting to be collected, I heard no response

paulj

Post by paulj » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:52 pm

apologise for my posts being very negative on here, I am having a very rough time with life at the moment

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:04 am

Right. I hold my hand up here and admit I overstepped the mark, this should have been dealt with by PM. I'll remove the offending posts.

For the record:
No PMs are ever stopped or deleted on this forum. We can't see what's sent, we have no idea who's talking to who.

Administrating sales is a pain. I tend to try and keep well out of it.

People ask for things and then vanish, people who never post anything else suddenly appear and try and acquire things, people register to grab things, and things do get resold. We don't always know who's doing what, sometimes we think we do, sometimes we might get it wrong - and if we do I apologise. We are human and certainly not perfect.

When people start moaning or saying things are unfair I start looking at it, probably with the eye of an exasperated parent...

markjw

Post by markjw » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:05 am

just a quick update - I will be heading to Kent this Saturday afternoon and plan to pick up from Mel_P on the way back - will update further after Saturday.

And many thanks to Dave for putting me in touch with Mel.

Mel_P

Post by Mel_P » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:57 am

Picked up by Mark yesterday.

I hope that you User group people find the mags / books / eproms, etc interesting, can get the beeb working and the disc drives / discs still work!

Anyway better than it all sitting in my loft for even longer.

As noted above, can anybody who has any of the stuff, please make a donation via Mark to British Heart Foundation. Thanks, Mel

markjw

Post by markjw » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:29 am

3" drive taken by vanpeebles - I might have someone who wants the BBC Model B (used to write BBC software back in the 80s and wrote a game based on an infamous film).

Every thing else is still here and I will drop of a the next ABUG South for people to take.

vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:41 am

Floppy drive arrived, £10 donation made to BHF. Thank you to Mel_P for donating the goodies, and Markjw for sorting it out :)

Mel_P

Post by Mel_P » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:24 pm

Thanks for making donation. Hope it works after all this time!

Return to “for sale / freebies”