BBC Master Basic 4 commands

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
archie456

BBC Master Basic 4 commands

Post by archie456 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:46 pm

Hi,

Is there somewhere I can find the manual for Basic 4 on the BBC Master.

I've just got a Master (it doesn't work at the moment), and I'm trying to remember some of the basic commands (using Beebem) - but my memory is failing me - it was about 30 years ago I last used one.

According to the blurb about the 'New BBC Master' from The Micro User it states that basic has new commands including the ability to draw circles - I've tried CIRCLE 500,500,500 - but it doesn't work...

Cheers.

danielj

Re: BBC Master Basic 4 commands

Post by danielj » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:55 pm

The circles etc were actually extensions to the VDU drivers - it's in the terribly written Master reference guide, part one pages E-3.21 onwards.

http://www.8bs.com/othrdnld/manuals/ess ... ster.shtml

The BeebWiki has a better description:
http://beebwiki.mdfs.net/VDU_25

d.

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Looking through the Welcome Guide (also on the same page that Daniel has linked to), there are no new BASIC commands for BASIC 4. There are a few new assembler mnemonics, and also how BASIC works (and, as Daniel pointed out, extra VDU commands), but essentially, the BBC Micro or Acorn Electron User Guides will show you enough. In fact, I found that the Acorn Electron User Guide to be an excellent resource for BBC BASIC.

The extra graphics capabilities are also the same as provided by the Graphics Extension ROM (GXR) from Acornsoft.

There was also a manual, whose name (Master Operating System??) and publisher (Dabs Press??) escapes me at the moment, which details the differences between all the Acorn 8 bit machines (except for the Atom).
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

archie456

Post by archie456 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:52 pm

wow, how strange, VDU 25 - I would never have guessed that...