Best display for a BBC?

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
jregel

Best display for a BBC?

Post by jregel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:44 am

I'm currently running my Master with an RGB to SCART cable, connected to a Sony Trinitron 14" TV.

It's pretty decent, but not something I'd want to run Mode 0 in for long sessions.

So I'm looking for something that will give me a better display, but so many possible options... RGB -> SCART -> VGA/HDMI seems the easiest, using some form of scaler. But are there better options? Any specific monitors that people recommend (I'd like to get a 4:3 screen, so a monitor that can do that without stretching would be nice).

My requirements:

- I don't want to make-up/solder any custom cables
- should support VideoNULA output as well as regular BBC output

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
BBC Master Turbo, Retroclinic External Datacentre, VideoNuLA, PiTubeDirect with Pi Zero, Gotek USB Floppy Emulator

tricky

Re: Best display for a BBC?

Post by tricky » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Until recently I had a B/W TV that gave a good MODE 0 picture on composite, sorry, can't remember model (think it was a Grundig).

Other things to considder:

The best converter for MODE 7 and great at the others that I know of is the Pi based RGB to HDMI made by Hoglet.
- He did sell a few early ones ready made, but I don't know if anyone is currently making them.
- Not VideoNULA friendly, although the was some work on supporting NULA features without a NULA.
- There are other similar solutions, that I have never used.

If you want to use mode 0, I would recommend the adaptor above, or for CRT, a Black and White display (composite may be OK).

I think you can get a resistor only RGB to VGA, which should work well on a CRT monitor if it supports the correct frequencies