Best display for a BBC?

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
jregel

Best display for a BBC?

Post by jregel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:44 pm

I'm currently running my Master with an RGB to SCART cable, connected to a Sony Trinitron 14" TV.

It's pretty decent, but not something I'd want to run Mode 0 in for long sessions.

So I'm looking for something that will give me a better display, but so many possible options... RGB -> SCART -> VGA/HDMI seems the easiest, using some form of scaler. But are there better options? Any specific monitors that people recommend (I'd like to get a 4:3 screen, so a monitor that can do that without stretching would be nice).

My requirements:

- I don't want to make-up/solder any custom cables
- should support VideoNULA output as well as regular BBC output

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
BBC Master Turbo, Retroclinic External Datacentre, VideoNuLA, PiTubeDirect with Pi Zero, Gotek USB Floppy Emulator

tricky

Re: Best display for a BBC?

Post by tricky » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:36 pm

Until recently I had a B/W TV that gave a good MODE 0 picture on composite, sorry, can't remember model (think it was a Grundig).

Other things to considder:

The best converter for MODE 7 and great at the others that I know of is the Pi based RGB to HDMI made by Hoglet.
- He did sell a few early ones ready made, but I don't know if anyone is currently making them.
- Not VideoNULA friendly, although the was some work on supporting NULA features without a NULA.
- There are other similar solutions, that I have never used.

If you want to use mode 0, I would recommend the adaptor above, or for CRT, a Black and White display (composite may be OK).

I think you can get a resistor only RGB to VGA, which should work well on a CRT monitor if it supports the correct frequencies

jregel

Post by jregel » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:08 pm

I already had a SCART to HDMI scaler that I was using for playing retro consoles on our living room TV, so thought I'd try that, combined with an HDMI to VGA converter, and an old LCD VGA monitor. The results are surprisingly crisp, certainly better than the Sony TV at high resolution modes.

IMG_4129.jpg
The scaler only costs about £22 from Amazon, so I bought another, same model, although disappointed that the new one came with a two pin power supply and not the three pin my original came with (working this out with the supplier at the moment, but buyer beware).

Now looks nice and tidy:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2190.jpg
BBC Master Turbo, Retroclinic External Datacentre, VideoNuLA, PiTubeDirect with Pi Zero, Gotek USB Floppy Emulator

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:00 pm

jregel wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:08 pm
I already had a SCART to HDMI scaler that I was using for playing retro consoles on our living room TV, so thought I'd try that, combined with an HDMI to VGA converter, and an old LCD VGA monitor. The results are surprisingly crisp, certainly better than the Sony TV at high resolution modes.
I use the same SCART / HDMI adapator (and HDMI / VGA adaptor on some systems) and I'm also very happy with the picture quality. If you get the adaptor OSD popping up on screen occasionally, then you will want to replace the 16MHz Crystal (X1) on the beeb. It's discussed in this thread.

beatkamp

Post by beatkamp » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:59 pm

I use a Sony PVM-9045QM with full component breakout. This looks fantastic but the PVM is quite deep and physically clunky. I also use a green CRT monochrome with the BNC out sometimes, this is also great. I never found an LCD screen that I liked. For colour, some kind of component CRT, for monochomatic, green CRT on the BNC out. This is my own preference.

archie456

Post by archie456 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:51 pm

@jregel - is this the converter you have?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flylink-Conver ... 34&sr=8-19

Its by Flylink (I've never heard of them). There seems to be other converters on Amazon, but if you would recommend it then I'll get the same.

I'm hoping to connect from HDMI to VGA to connect to my monitor.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:39 pm

I have one of these and it works well (although it is currently deployed purely as a "keep-alive" for my Raspberry Pi 4 which loses all contact with input devices unless it is outputting some HDMI to somewhere). I think they are actually unbranded. You need one that accepts RGB SCART input (the 5th picture down says it does, and the box is identical to mine). I made the mistake of buying a Neoteck one first (also linked to on that same page) but they don't accept RGB so it doesn't work.

(P.S. in order to reassure the Nation I should add that I don't routinely use a Beeb with an HDMI screen and I'm backing CRT forever obviously.)

jregel

Post by jregel » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:07 am

archie456 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:51 pm
@jregel - is this the converter you have?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flylink-Conver ... 34&sr=8-19

Its by Flylink (I've never heard of them). There seems to be other converters on Amazon, but if you would recommend it then I'll get the same.

I'm hoping to connect from HDMI to VGA to connect to my monitor.
Hi archie456

Yes, that's the one I have (actually have two of them now). As per my post above, the second one came with a two-pin power supply, but I messaged them through Amazon and a couple of days ago, a three pin power supply arrived, so all good now.

Left in on most of the day doing some random plots to the screen, and no issues running it for hours either. Would recommend.

rharper

Post by rharper » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:07 am

I have one.
With a RGB to SCART lead plugged in you can show output from an Electron, BBC model B, BBC Master on any HDMI TV.
Ray
Raycomp

archie456

Post by archie456 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:42 pm

OK, I've ordered one. Hopefully it will be good!

archie456

Post by archie456 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:46 pm

Looks like the unit takes 5V DC.

I wonder if I could run it from the Masters Aux power supply? Then it would turn on and off with the Master...

Anyone tried that?

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:03 pm

I have one of those also. But I just leave mine switched on.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:21 pm

Not tried that, but my Pi powers it from the HDMI input without it even being connected to the mains.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”