Should I Worry About Viruses Found By My RISC PC?

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

BeebMaster

Should I Worry About Viruses Found By My RISC PC?

Post by BeebMaster » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:40 am

I am a bit worried. I have VKiller installed and running on the icon bar on start up on my RPC700. It's a very out of date version, and I have to bodge the year to 1997 during the boot sequence and then bodge it back to the real year to make it work. I don't know whether I should be looking for a newer version or some other virus killer, or if it isn't a concern.

I've recently archived the hard drives from my 2 A4000s by plugging them directly into the RPC as a slave drive. During the copy VKiller has found viruses, so I decided to do a more intensive virus finding exercise, looking at all my backups/archives etc.

Most of these are on my Raspberry Pi NFS share, accessed on RPC by Sunfish, so my worry is that they are not contained within the RPC box and could duplicate using the Pi storage, or even get out onto the internet from the Pi or if I e-mail or upload any infected archive or image.

So far I've only had Icon and Extend viruses, here's an example screenshot.
scrn0.png

SarahWalker

Re: Should I Worry About Viruses Found By My RISC PC?

Post by SarahWalker » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:54 am

You're unlikely to run into many RISC OS viruses written after 1997...

Ideally I'd recommend running the VProtect module on all your machines - this is included on most of the newer !Boot sequences, and will at least warn you when it detects a virus (and will stop it spreading). Since you're already infected, I'd suggest also running !Killer over all your machines with extreme prejudice!

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:14 pm

Definitely run !Killer to clean up your computers. Icon and Extend were fairly tame viruses, but very prolific - they got everywhere, and I'm sure they will be lurking on retro Acorn computer users floppies and HDDs for many years to come...

But on that point, is there a formal archive of old RISC OS viruses anywhere? I've also rigorously cleaned them from my systems, but as I recall some were quite cunning and could be of some vague historic interest...

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:26 pm

Killer seems to "keep" them, putting them in logs.Captured within the Application. I presume they're safe in there, but maybe that would be an archive of sorts for old viruses?

Interestingly I've got Icon and Extend directories in there, but also an Unknown which contains a 19K file of abclib.

I don't remember anything other than Icon & Extend being found, but I do remember that my A5000 used to give spurious silly error messages which I think might be caused by a virus.