Space Adventure on the Elk

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

Snuggsy187

Space Adventure on the Elk

Post by Snuggsy187 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Hi All,

One of my favourites BitD, but there wasn't a version of Space Adventure for the Electron :(

This is very much a work in progress, but thought I'd post a working version to see what people think !

Again Beeb VIA interrupts spoiled the show for the Elk - have removed these, but yet to do a replacement game delay timer, so speed is variable (yes, it's a bit slow when fighting androids, but then again a bit too fast when using a Turbo board) !

Disc and Tape versions vaguely tested on Elkulator - *RUN INST , or *RUN LOAD to skip the lengthy instructions !
Attachments
SA-E-v0.1.uef
(14.25 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
SA-E-v0.1.ssd
(14 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
PUSH PARCHMENT > POKE LOCK > PULL PARCHMENT

0xC0DE

Re: Space Adventure on the Elk

Post by 0xC0DE » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Looking good! It's great to see the Electron getting some love =D>
Haven't played this game before. The player keeps moving in the same direction even after releasing a key. Is that supposed to be like that?
0xC0DE
:idea: Follow me on Twitter :idea: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:11 pm

Thanks 0xC0DE :D

It's very odd, isn't it, you can only stop by pressing the spacebar, but that's how it is on the original Beeb version !

Key control choice strange as well - why use " ; . " instead of " : / " ? :?

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:19 pm

But now is your chance to change/improve all that! :mrgreen:
Was the original Beeb game written in asm? Have you reverse engineered it or,....?
0xC0DE
:idea: Follow me on Twitter :idea: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Agreed, maybe I'll put in some sort of key control choice....

Original game released in 1983 by Virgin / Pro Software (?)

I just disassembled the original game and imported it into ASM (Making some memory relocation changes and such like). Still annotating, and getting my head around a weird sprite print routine, but will post the Elk ASM version when I'm happy with it :D

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Great! We need more coders for the Electron! I write 6502 code on it every day 8)

Asking the real questions here: did you ever get your Electron out of storage?????
0xC0DE

Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:22 am

Alas no :oops: But I did set eyes on it last weekend ! I shall endeavour to resolve the situation ! :D

Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:11 pm

So here's version 0.2 !

Still slow on a standard Elk, but I've put in a replacement delay timer. Runs better with turbo of course.

ASM attached - bit of a mess, but there's a couple of hidden cheats you can enable !
Assemble with:
beebasm -i SA-E-ASM-v0.2.asm -do SA-E.ssd

Been mainly making code space in the hope of sorting out the convoluted sprite print routine (sorry whoever wrote it, but I think it is !). For example, when you walk left, it will flip the right facing sprites and then print them - EVERY time !

Saved a lot of space ditching numerous furniture print routines for a standard use one.

Changed the keys to : / instead of ; . - still SPACE to fire (there is some kind of keyboard conflict when using RETURN to fire and moving diagonally) :roll:

Also still need to generate some randomness when placing the door keys, energy cells etc. - they're in the same place every time the game is loaded at the moment........ :D
Attachments
SA-E1.gif
SA-E-ASM-v0.2.asm.txt
(70.23 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
SA-E-v0.2.uef
(14.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SA-E-v0.2.ssd
(14 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by Snuggsy187 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:43 pm

Great work! =D>
0xC0DE