RISC OS presentation to my Linux user group

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
zolbatar

RISC OS presentation to my Linux user group

Post by zolbatar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:08 am

So tonight I'm doing an Acorn history and RISC OS presentation and demonstration to my Linux user group (nottslug).

I'm not sure if I'll convert anybody but I'm sure it'll be interesting!
Master 128 with DataCentre and RPi co-pro.
RPi B+ & 3B+ both running RISC OS.
Poorly A4000 (battery damage, partially repaired).

richw

Re: RISC OS presentation to my Linux user group

Post by richw » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:55 pm

So how did it go?!

scruss

Post by scruss » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:40 pm

I'd be interested in doing something similar for my local Raspberry Pi group, but I need to get my presentation beyond "why would anyone use this?"

If you can share your slide deck it would be really helpful, thanks.

zolbatar

Post by zolbatar » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:33 pm

I'm not sure I converted anybody yet but there was interest. The boot speed impressed as did the ease of getting coding.

It's a difficult sell though with the lack of certain categories of software, such as real presentation software for instance. I used Linux to present..

roland

Post by roland » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:40 pm

zolbatar wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:33 pm
It's a difficult sell though with the lack of certain categories of software, such as real presentation software for instance. I used Linux to present..
In theory it must be possible to port LibreOffive or OpenOffice to RISC OS because the source files are available. The main questions is: who wants to start that project :?:
256K + 6502 Inside
MAN WOMAN :shock:

zolbatar

Post by zolbatar » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:03 am

roland wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:40 pm
In theory it must be possible to port LibreOffive or OpenOffice to RISC OS because the source files are available. The main questions is: who wants to start that project :?:
I'm not sure we would want that though. It wouldn't fit the RISC OS look & feel. It would however tick another box!

scruss

Post by scruss » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:52 pm

It would allow RISC OS to be a bit more open to file formats that the rest of the world uses. I've found it massively frustrating that the stock RISC OS image for Raspberry Pi doesn't include converters for its file formats to/from others.

Andy1979

Post by Andy1979 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:01 pm

roland wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:40 pm
zolbatar wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:33 pm
At school I used CommunITel to run a Teletext-style information display system on a monitor in the main hallway, but this was rather outdated tech in 1996 and the graphics took me ages to draw. When I was offered an A3000 to upgrade it I wrote a program in BASIC that would present a series of !Draw files full screen, with the mouse buttons allowing you to move between pages. My programming skills were, and still are, fairly limited so I think I must have used a module or library from elsewhere to do most of this.

If someone could pull together a basic GUI to create a 'Playlist' for !Draw files it might solve the problem? (albeit without the fancy transitions that Powerpoint has).

Also remember an app called BookBinder (?) that allowed you to create interactive documents, and fairly sure that used !Draw files as a base. Would have been on a magazine cover disk in the early-90s.