A7000+ desktop boot issues

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

KarateEd

A7000+ desktop boot issues

Post by KarateEd » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:14 pm

Hi Folks,

Bringing another issue on an A7000+ desktop machine.

When I boot the machine up, it seems to boot normally to desktop except for a couple things.

The first is the hour glass never goes away and the mouse, though it moves around, doesn't allow any clicks on any buttons.
The second is the hard drive light never goes off.
The third is that, when I took a video of it booting, it showed a percentage of something loading, no idea what but it got to 51% (a later snapshot shows it going to 66%) before going to the desktop that wouldn't react to the mouse or keyboard other than rebooting.

I can get the desktop to come up responsively if I hit break early enough in the load sequence but then it doesn't have proper system resources to run things properly. Some standalone, simple programs run but really, it's not working as it should.

Does anyone have any idea where I should start looking on this issue? It would be an understatement to say that I'm 'lost'.

Thanks for any help. I will try to get a short, good video of it booting up so people can see what it's doing. The one I have right now if very out of focus for the initial booting part.

Link to the video..... https://youtu.be/4Cn6nbt1lX0
Last edited by KarateEd on Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards and 1recently received Omnibus A7000+ server which is a work in progress.

KarateEd

Re: A7000+ desktop boot issues

Post by KarateEd » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:57 pm

These pictures show what happens when I press <BRK> early enough in the boot sequence.
1-Boot Sequence.png
This shows what is attempting to run at boot
2-After pressing BRK Early enough.png
Showing the message that pops up after successfully pressing <BRK>
3-Normal look after pressing ESC.png
Desktop appears normal as if everything was working......but......
4-After left click on HD.png
Obviously there are no resources for a 'normal' resume, however if I press <ESC> here then......
5-Appears norma.png
we get what appears to be a normal HD and programs.....
However, most programs that I run from the HD give me an error complaining about no resources, which makes sense. A few simple things do run but then they need very little in the way of resources.

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards and 1recently received Omnibus A7000+ server which is a work in progress.

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:58 am

If you leave it for 30 mins, do you get an error?

It's either a disc timeout, or something is loading post desktop that's getting stuck. Look at post desktop tasks loading under !Boot.Choices.Boot

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:53 am

sirbod wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:58 am
If you leave it for 30 mins, do you get an error?

It's either a disc timeout, or something is loading post desktop that's getting stuck. Look at post desktop tasks loading under !Boot.Choices.Boot
I've left it on for a couple hours to see if anything happens and it just hangs forever it seems on the hour glass.

I'll check the area you're suggesting but it may be a bit hard for me to understand what is going on in there.....but.... I will try. I want to learn this RISC stuff to some competency.

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:07 pm

Ok, here's what I see when I go into those folders.....
No Post Desktop.png
I don't see a 'Post Desktop' file or folder.........

Am I missing something?

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:41 pm

Ok, can anyone tell me if there should be something else in these folders to do what sirbod suggested?

Should I be opening one of these folders/files to check contents?

I really am unsure of this but would be really nice to have some guidance on it.

Thanks very much for any help that can be given.

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:43 pm

Everything in the Tasks folder is run post desktop, so move everything in there to another folder outside of Tasks and see if you then get a working machine. Assuming you do, you can move things back until it breaks.

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:52 am

Ok, found one source of the problem.

The !Boot file in Tasks had a whole bunch of [00]s tacked on to the end of it. I don't think those should be there so I removed them. Now it seems to boot up fairly normally but with the error in the screen shot attached.

I believe that has to do with the CDROM in the unit but don't really know how to fix it and I will be using the CDROM to transfer files to it, it's quick and easy.....if it's working.
CDFS Error.png
Edit: I figured how to do it, I added the CDROM in the configure file by selecting drives and adding one CDROM. This is for any newbies to RISC like I am.

I have a CD to check the drive works and it does.
Last edited by KarateEd on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:50 pm

and.....here it is booted up with CD in it.
Fixed__Setup.png
Thanks Sirbod for your help. It seems like a simple thing but when you don't really know where to look, it can make a huge difference.
Last edited by KarateEd on Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.