On the nature of Beeb's

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
rharper

On the nature of Beeb's

Post by rharper » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:47 pm

I have a couple of BBC Masters. Having dealt with the psu's and one having its CMOS RAM replaced they have been stable. They have had 2nd processors added, IDE CF card hard drives, MMC cards on the Econet port, ROMs and cartridges in and out with no problems. 'This looks interesting' they seem to say.

I had one Electron that had a RAM problem but otherwise any problems were probably due to vibration unsettling the ULA or a bit of corrosion. The attachment of all sorts of peripherals is no problem (except when I make a mistake). 'Yeah, I'll soon be better than a Beeb' they say; 'Bring it on'.

But Beeb's! You get them working, carefully put them away, carefully get them off the self, switch ON and !!!!!
I sometimes think it's quantum effects like Schroedinger's cat. Beeb's are always Working and Not-working and this is only resolved when you switch ON to take a measurement. But this doesn't fit the evidence. You should be able to switch OFF/ON a few times and eventually hit a 'Working' state. Not-working always stays Not-working until fixed, except of course the exact way in which it Not-works will change subtly so that its period of rest will be extended as you search in frustration for the fix.
No, I now think it is those pesky electrons (not to be confused with those nice 'Electrons' mentioned above). You switch ON and they enjoy some summer warmth whizzing around their atom. Then you switch off and the temperature drops and they think 'I don't fancy winter here, that looks like a nice atom over there, could be warmer there. I'll pop over and take a look'. Beeb Not-working. We hunt around and find the faulty chip, replace it, bin it. But, if we had waited a few months would that pesky electron have returned to its home atom? Beeb Working?!

Now you know what has happened. I'm hoping that I was not careful enough and jolted a ROM/IC in its socket, or maybe some corrosion has crept into a socket that a squirt of IPA will solve, but I expect an electron has gone on holiday. I might try sweet talking it - "I'll switch you on more often so there are more warm summers," :^o "You're my favourite." :^o Threats (like John Cleese+branch+car) don't work - "Go home or I'll bin you." "Winter's coming, forever." I haven't tried grovelling. I have my pride.

Ray :x
Raycomp

tricky

Re: On the nature of Beeb's

Post by tricky » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Having socketed chips is both a blessing and a curse!
I used to work/live on a holiday camp in the early to mid 80s and after being closed for the winter most of the arcade machines needed their chips reseating.
I have a few tubs of beebs that come to shows with me and only one of them seems to be afraid of the cold, whilst the others don't even seem to get jealous when they hear the two tone boot of another beeb, or maybe they have got hard of hearing in their old age :lol:
Last edited by tricky on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:08 pm

tricky wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm
I used to work/live on a holiday camp in the early 80s and after being closed for the winter most of the arcade machines needed their chips reseating.
This explains a lot. :D
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

tricky

Post by tricky » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Including my A level results :oops:

rharper

Post by rharper » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:12 pm

It was a keyboard problem - most keys not working, RETURN gave A, etc.
Swapped the 6522's and all was OK again.
The 6522 originally in IC3 had corrosion on some pins so I have cleaned it with IPA.
I don't use the User Port on this machine so it is now unused.
Ray
Raycomp