Time and Magik trilogy by Level 9

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
fuzzel

Time and Magik trilogy by Level 9

Post by fuzzel » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:51 pm

I've just had a look at Level 9's Lords of Time in the "Time and Magik" trilogy collection and have a small gripe with the graphics version. The command line is partly off the bottom of the screen (in Beebem Master 128 mode) so it's hard to see what you're typing. Does this happen on a real Master or is it an emulation bug (I can't imagine Level 9 / Mandarin would have put up with it) ?

marcusjambler

Re: Time and Magik trilogy by Level 9

Post by marcusjambler » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:20 pm

Does this happen on a real Master or is it an emulation bug
I'm getting the same issue on BeebEm....
IMG_5514a.jpg
Real hardware works properly...
IMG_5516a.jpg
Also, the animated graphics 'scroll down' is much smoother

Marcus

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:42 pm

I wonder if anyone knows exactly how "enhanced" this version of Lords of Time is ? From the first few locations the location text is expanded and obviously graphics have been added but are there more puzzles, locations and objects ?

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Having waited patiently for a couple of months for an answer to the question above I've decided to answer my own question and play the game through twice, on the standard version and on the enhanced version using Beebem's Master 128k mode. I shall post my findings on here.
This will be a labour of love for me as it's the game I remember most fondly from the 80s. I occasionally look for an original on ebay for the beeb, so far without any luck (I thought those games were supposed to sell like hot cakes?)

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:49 pm

I wanted to get this one for my 6128 but quickly gave up. :cry:

Its at £53 at time of posting this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Time-Magik-D ... %7Ciid%3A1
Atom, issue 5
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
USA Model B
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Blimey.
E99DD406-A8EA-4088-87C6-CE5DF92084AE.jpeg
Atom, issue 5
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
USA Model B

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Indeed. I wouldn't have paid that even if they threw in the computers, monitor, table and radiator, the whole room in fact.
I think we need a time machine Lardo..

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:44 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:58 pm
I think we need a time machine Lardo..
Agreed. I would stock up on:-

Time and Magic Amstrad discs
Elite disc and coproc versions
Castlevania for the PS1
Spectrum ROM games (they were only a couple of quid in bargain bins towards the end and nice ones go for £50 plus)
All the Shining Force games for the Megadrive (I sold my copies for pence :cry: )
Wasteland for the C64

And probably a few others as well!
Atom, issue 5
USA Model B

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:49 am

Here's a quick one to start my detailed look at the original and extended versions of Lords of Time. The opening sequence (Level 0?); there you are sitting in the comfort of your own home. When you examine the picture in the basic version it comes to life (basically it could be an ipad) whereas the enhanced version has Old Father Time standing before you giving a much more wordy mission statement (are you now wearing AR glasses?)
For some reason the author has decided that the hourglass symbols are now holy, as though you're now embarking on some religious quest like the
search for the holy grail. A slight bug is when you wind the clock, on examining it again it still needs winding. The authors had obviously listened to some feedback because inside the clock when you examine the cogs and the pendulum you get massive clues as to what to do next. Bitd I was completely flummoxed here and had to ask a friend what to do. You get 29% more location text in this mini-level. The only picture you get is the one shown above (I was hoping you'd get a shot of your home with the grandfather clock in situ).

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:45 pm

Level 1 - Contemporary (Country Village) - I loved this level, it has some very nicely crafted puzzles although it's unusual in that it's the only one where you can't complete it until you've visited Level 2 and obtained an object from there.
There are 25 locations, a massive 17 objects and 5 puzzles. There are a couple of bloopers; on the original version, when you give the looking glass to the narcissus and examine it again it still moans about not being able to see it's reflection. On the enhanced version, after giving the looking glass to the narcissus it disappears but the text in the location to the east still says that something is growing amid the nettles on the opposite bank. There's a mention in the enhanced version of the Timelords' meddling - the weeping willow tree tells you that they've poisoned the stream and that it wants to die so you have to kill it - rather callous! More appropriately for the modern age you would find a way of cleaning the river and restoring the willow to good health. A tricky puzzle here is that you have to examine the compost heap twice, the first time you find a silver coin but the second time (which you could easily forget to do) you find the Tooth Fairy. You get a measly 6% more location text with the enhanced version but can examine several immovable objects - the willow, narcissus, rubbish, fairy, mushroom, compost heap, cupboard and Porsche. You only get one new graphic - the country cottage - see picture.
Attachments
LOT L1 Cottage.jpg

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:47 pm

I've just been through Level 2 - The Ice Age on the enhanced version and I couldn't find a single location with graphics, although in a few locations it looks as though it's trying to load one. I switched to the C64 version and played the level and found one graphic, see below. If anyone has a mo could they check to see if I'm right about the Master 128 BBC version having no graphics on Level 2 (perhaps it's possible to load the graphics files somehow off the disk ?)
Attachments
LOT L2 Ledge Outside Cave.jpg
LOT L2 Ledge Outside Cave.jpg (21.93 KiB) Viewed 602 times

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:54 pm

More on Level 2 - Ice Age - I'm still unhappy about the fact that the enhanced version doesn't have any graphics for this level. However, that aside another very good level with possibly the trickiest puzzle in the game - how to get the icicle. I suppose the earlier levels should be easier because there are less objects to use to solve the puzzles. I did find one blooper in the enhanced version which was that if you drop the tooth when back in the clock you can't take it again (the program doesn't seem to recognise that it's there). I can't really find any evidence here of the Timelords' meddling, although it's never made clear who the Snow Queen trapped in the ice block is (sounds like a Narnia reference to me). I found 7 puzzles on this level and you can examine several static objects on the enhanced version - the mammoth, the pile of wood, the sabre-toothed tiger, the silver fox, the ice wall, the lake and the cube of ice. The enhanced version also gives you 11% more location text.