Electron Sound Issue, Fault or Ignorance ?

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
BeebMan2018

Electron Sound Issue, Fault or Ignorance ?

Post by BeebMan2018 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:29 pm

Hey People,

Looking for some directions. I've had a quick browse in the Electron Service Manual and I have looked on You Tube and Google briefly before i remembered where all the experts hang out :)

So the problem is this. When i start up the electron the TV just puts out a hiss for its sound. Its the same TV as i use for my MSX and the TV is FINE ! It checks out ok. However if i plug in a second electron i get the same problem with the hiss ! EXACTLY THE SAME. So I'm thinking it cant be the Electron, i would have to be unlucky to have bought two electrons with the same fault or is this a common fault on a 30 + year old computer ?

If it is a common problem then surely there is some reference to how to repair it ?

Let me know your thoughts.

BeebMan

MartinB

Re: Electron Sound Issue, Fault or Ignorance ?

Post by MartinB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Electrons and Beebs don't use the TV for sound, there's no sound signal on the TV or video outputs from these computers. They have a built-in speaker for the sound with the Electron being an inferior slimmed-down version of the Beeb system. So, if you play a game or similar program with sound effects, you will only hear it coming from the Electron itself - you need to turn the TV volume down to zero!

Last edited by MartinB on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeebMan2018

Post by BeebMan2018 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 pm

It was Ignorance then :) Thanks for the information ! That's 2 problems fixed ! :) I have a few more questions however.

Would connecting my Electron to the TV via the Video Din Plug and then to a SCART Socket give me any better picture or sound ? Or would i be just wasting my money on a lead ? Or is all sound on the electron via the speaker on the front ? Can this speaker be upgraded ? or the sound chip ? Or am i asking ridiculous questions ?

Also re the DIN - Scart where could i get such a lead ? I also need a DIN Lead for the Tape Deck. I have 2 Din plugs on order from china. I maybe should order up a male Scart socket while i am at it with the correct din plug so that i can make my own lead. Id like to know how many cores the TV Scart cable would require and how many cores the Din-Din Tap lead would require or should i use jacks instead of a din at the tape side ?

Sorry for all the questions but you guys are great !

Thanks

davidb

Post by davidb » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:32 pm

BeebMan2018 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 pm
Would connecting my Electron to the TV via the Video Din Plug and then to a SCART Socket give me any better picture or sound ? Or would i be just wasting my money on a lead ? Or is all sound on the electron via the speaker on the front ? Can this speaker be upgraded ? or the sound chip ? Or am i asking ridiculous questions ?
All sound is via the speaker on the front. The benefit of having an RGB to SCART cable is better picture quality, but if the picture is OK then maybe it's not worth spending the money on another cable.

There was a sound upgrade cartridge but you'd need a Plus 1 expansion for that, then you'd have to find one of those cartridges, so there's no easy sound upgrade and very little software would use it, anyway.
BeebMan2018 wrote:
Also re the DIN - Scart where could i get such a lead ? I also need a DIN Lead for the Tape Deck. I have 2 Din plugs on order from china. I maybe should order up a male Scart socket while i am at it with the correct din plug so that i can make my own lead. Id like to know how many cores the TV Scart cable would require and how many cores the Din-Din Tap lead would require or should i use jacks instead of a din at the tape side ?
Retro Computer Shack sell both the DIN/RGB to SCART lead and two different cassette leads - one with two DIN plugs and another with DIN on one end and earphone, microphone and remote plugs on the other.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:28 am

BeebMan2018 wrote:
Would connecting my Electron to the TV via the Video Din Plug and then to a SCART Socket give me any better picture or sound?
Depends. Does the SCART socket on your TV have RGB video capability? If yes, then on most (but not all) using a 6 pin DIN plug to SCART plug lead will give you the rest quality picture available from your Electron. It would not however on it’s own give you sound via your TV.
BeebMan2018 wrote:
Or is all sound on the electron via the speaker on the front ? Can this speaker be upgraded ? or the sound chip ? Or am i asking ridiculous questions ?
As said in a post above, all sound from the Electron is output via it’s internal loud speaker. It is possible to modify an Electron so that an audio signal can be output from it. You could then connect to an amplifier, or to the audio input pins on a SCART plug. Can you solder?
BeebMan2018 wrote:
Also re the DIN - Scart where could i get such a lead?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250877464070 (well respected seller, very good quality, I use these)
Or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320665529979 (well respected seller, good quality, I use these)
Or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171294538937 (from a shop that continues to support Acorn owners)
Or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171319413616 (from a shop that continues to support Acorn owners)

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeebMan2018

Post by BeebMan2018 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:58 am

Thanks Guys,

Martin, Mark and David. Well I've not been idle since my last post. I've opened up the leccy for surgery. Her keyboard is a mess, The header pins are corroded. I hope this is the reason why the keys are not being input. However there has been a spill on the keyboard and its a sticky, hairy, gunky mess. I think every residue known to man is in there ! Anyway the keys are off and the cotton buds and isopropanol alcohol are out and the cleaning has commenced !

However !!

The space bar wire rod / spring support thingy that's under the aluminium plate between it and the PCB is VERY sticky and only moves with moderate force ! It wont return at all by itself so the key spring isn't enough to lift it either ! So the aluminium plate needs to come off ! However its riveted on at two locations which both secures the plate and acts as a spacer between it and the PCB.

Now, if i drill those rivets of can the spacers be replaced or are they soldered to the PCB or pressed into the PCB ? I could turn out new ones on a lathe but making them is only a small part of it. On one side one of the spacers appear to also form part of the circuit as a trace terminates underneath the spacer/rivet. I'm thinking maybe a ground or something ? I don't want to go diving in there just yet until i know i can put it back together and am just asking if anyone has any experience on dismantling the keyboard PCB ? Any advice is welcome !