Broken Cathay cassette player - p&p only if you fancy fixing it!

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
Lardo Boffin

Broken Cathay cassette player - p&p only if you fancy fixing it!

Post by Lardo Boffin » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:08 am

This arrived with a Spectrum a while back and is not working. It tries to play but doesn’t quite manage it. FF and RW both seem ok. I opened the case (and cleaned it. Yuck) and checked the belt which seems ok and that is my limit of repairs with these!

Just p&p if anyone wants it otherwise it is the great recycling shop in the sky... Toaster heaven maybe?

3CEBA332-D715-42A9-BA34-3601C4D84620.jpeg
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc

Bryce

Re: Broken Cathay cassette player - p&p only if you fancy fixing it!

Post by Bryce » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:17 am

Clean and then roughen up (with fine sandpaper) the pinchwheel (black rubber wheel right beside the magnetic head) and that little metal bar it presses against. These are the bits that turn the tape during "play". The spools that go into the cassette only do fast forward and rewind. Then it should work better. However, if the play button was left pressed down for a long time without it turning, the rubber wheel may have deformed and you'll have to replace it.

Bryce.

BeebMan2018

Post by BeebMan2018 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 pm

I will take it if you still have it !

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:15 pm

BeebMan2018 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 pm
I will take it if you still have it !
I still have it. If you have just joined you probably can’t pm yet. Best ask one of the moderators nicely!

Assuming the Royal Mail delivery to you way up in Scotland ( :D ) it will be £4 to send it.

Good luck fixing it!

Lardo
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, Acorn 6502 coproc

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Lardo, you can pm him with your email address and communicate that way if you wish! :)

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:16 pm

danielj wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:09 pm
Lardo, you can pm him with your email address and communicate that way if you wish! :)
A cunning plan!

BeebMan2018

Post by BeebMan2018 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:19 pm

Hello Mr Boffin,

I got your Cassette Player today about 12.00 and I've taken it apart. The rattle was from a screw normally located in the battery compartment that must have got loose and found its way inside through the hole there for the battery terminals. The motor drive belt was slipping so its been replaced and power to the drive train has now been restored. The Play drive roller needed a clean as it was causing the tape to pick up and get tangled. The wind spool action is still sticky causing the tape to jump while being played but Fast Forward and Rewind seem OK. I suspect this is just dirt and grease that's dried out and needing a good clean and some fresh lubrication to sort this problem. Its going to, possibly, be the most troublesome issue to fix however as it looks like its buried in the belly of the beast. But in general its now working. I've tried an old music tape and its playing fine. So all that's left is a good clean and lubricate some moving parts and put it back together.

I've a Beeb coming home soon. I only bought it as there was a electron Data Recorder going with it which will be solely for use with my Electron. So your Cassette Player will be put to use on the Beeb. Alternatively I have another Triumph Cassette player that I used to use on my MSX but is now not working. Not sure why as yet. I've not really spent any time on it but its maybe electrical.I will get to it when i can. So I got an Alba last week cheep and needing fixing which I'm currently using on the MSX. Its a simple machine inside compared to the Triumph but there are similarities in the design and both are made in China, but it will do for the MSX for now. If i get the Triumph fixed it will return to use on the MSX and the Alba will be stored as a backup.

However I want to source the proper Data Cassette Player for the Beeb. I'm unsure but I think there are a few models of this and maybe some knock-offs made after Acorn's day. But I've not had time to check up on that yet as I'm more focused on getting the Electrons cleaned and restored to working order. Phew. Lots going on.

Anyway this was just supposed to be a short thank you for your kind donation and the VERY generous gift of the much loved game you included inside. I am the type of guy that would love an Atom simply because this is what the game was originally written on. So many hours spent killing Thargoids and space Pirates. Scooping up Tharglets :) Then trying to find somewhere to sell them. Ahh I must be getting old. Simpler times and I think they were better times. Pity we cant put the Genie back in the box. Anyway I digress as I often do.

Thanks !

Beeb Man 2018

UPDATE : It was one of the smaller plastic transmission gears that was sticking. A 1/2 drop of WD40 seems to have done the trick. Seems fine. Not tested data recording or loading. As I write this there seems to be an issue with volume fading and coming back. Dodgy cassette or some other issue with the recorder perhaps. Hmmmm . Well I'm getting there. Sigh :) Oh well onward's we march.
Last edited by BeebMan2018 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:23 pm

Hope you succeed in getting it fully up and running! Sounds like it will keep you entertained in the meantime.

I would like an Atom but money keeps getting in the way. Or possibly out of the way. But you know what I mean.

BeebMan2018

Post by BeebMan2018 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Yea I know what you mean. I saw an Atom last week on E-Bay. First ive seen but I cant afford +£100 for a machine with what ? 12k or is it 24 k ram ! I would have assumed 16k but I don't think it came with that as standard. Ive abandoned your Cathy for the time being. Back to working on the Electon. Ive also discovered a poorly soldered pin on the back of the Keyboard header on the main PCB so this might be the reason for the faulty keybopard and not the corrosion on the pins as i said. However there's numerous issues with the board which id like to rectify. Corrosion, dirt, and exposed traces to name but a few. Is anyone here got an alternative to CW 2500 Epoxy or Conformal to protect traces ? I want the CW2500 but its too expensive considering its short shelf life but the con-formal is clear and I want it to match the PCB which is nearly always green !