Larsoft

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
fuzzel

Larsoft

Post by fuzzel » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Flicking through some past adventure columns from BBC Micro User and Electron User I notice that Larsoft adventures were rated quite highly.
I've never played one before (none were in circulation at my old computer club back in the 80's) so I wonder if anyone out there familiar with that label could recommend one ? As I recall Geoff Larson was a regular contributor to adventure columns before he started writing his own games using the quill.

lurkio

Re: Larsoft

Post by lurkio » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:44 pm

Have you consulted the Hatter?:
The Mad Hatter wrote:Geoff Larsen produced a number of adventure games, first for the Acorn Electron, and then he included the BBC Micro in his repertoire as well. These adventures were developed with the help of the utility program The Quill, were priced at budget levels and acquired a loyal following; among his best were Hex and The Puppet Man. If you can find any of these tapes, though, you won't be disappointed.
https://mocagh.org/loadpage.php?getgame=advgamersmanual

:?:

And all the Larsoft games are here, of course:
:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi Lurkio, thanks for the reply. I've plumped for Wychwood first after consulting The Mad Hatter ("an entertaining romp" - Mar-87 TMU) and Pendragon (If this is an indication of things to come I will have no hesitation in buying all of their future releases" - Jun-87 EU). I wonder if he did ? Also it would appear to be one of their first (if not the first) games.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:04 pm

I've just finished Wychwood after playing it for the last few days but am a little confused at the ending.
The message at the end on examining the wad of notes is "They are old pound notes, no longer legal tender. Any reward for recovering them would be offset by my theft of the car. My only consolation is that I have completed this Adventure! END OF GAME." As I'm on the run from the police who presumably will still apprehend me when the clock strikes 10 this is a rather anticlimactic conclusion. I've checked the CASA solution and it pretty much follows what I've done too. Unless Geoff Larson is into red herrings in a big way I wasn't able to use any of the following objects: piping, clapperboard, cloak, diary, bowl of fruit, cigar and book of occult. Also Pendragon mentions in his review that the mannequin and clapperboard had him foxed for hours (I only examined the mannequin to find an object) so presumably he did find some use for them. Has anyone out there played this game and, as I suspect, there is more to it than my (and CASA's) solution ?
Last edited by fuzzel on Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:37 pm

I think I'll look through the code and see if I can find a routine to print the locations / messages / objects etc. That should allow me to see if there's anything more to the game than I've discovered so far.
Perhaps Geoff had the intention to include some extra narratives / puzzles to the game (supernatural and spying themes are present) but maybe ran out of room before being able to implement them fully.