New game for the BBC Master : Planet Nubium

new games to be launched and discussed here
Andrew_Waite

New game for the BBC Master : Planet Nubium

Post by Andrew_Waite » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:21 pm

EDIT : The .ssd file for the latest Version 1.2 of Planet Nubium is attached to my post of Mon Dec 03, 2018.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

I have arrived at Version 1.0 of my new game, Planet Nubium!

Everything on Planet Nubium, from the weather, economy, transport systems and a myriad of gadgets are controlled by a malfunctioning supercomputer. To reboot the supercomputer control 'Rocketman', negotiating 24 different levels to collect objects to make the password to reset the machine. A rocket will propel your character upwards, and (s)he falls back down again under gravity. Avoid the guardians and keep an eye on the limited amount of fuel! After collecting all objects return to the spaceship to advance to the next level.

The game is a vehicle for my interest in Spectrum games and graphics, so many of my favourite sprites from ZX Spectrum games by Matthew Smith and others have been borrowed, copied and modified for 4 colour Mode 1.

The game has been written for the BBC MASTER as this machine can support double buffering in MODE 1. The code and graphics take up all four banks of sideways RAM.

There are some technical details of the game here : viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13053

Type ' CHAIN"NUBIUM" ' to run the game.

Feedback is much appreciated!

**********************************************************************************************************************************

EDIT : The .ssd file for the latest Version 1.2 of Planet Nubium is attached to my post of Mon Dec 03, 2018.
Attachments
Nubium 20180923 a.ssd
(115.5 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Last edited by Andrew_Waite on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:26 am, edited 6 times in total.

CMcDougall

Re: New game for the BBC Master : Planet Nubium

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:51 pm

this is quality :shock: =D> =D> =D>
Attachments
png2.png
scrn2
pnG.png
scrn1
pnK.png
keys
pnM.png
ldr
ImageImageImage

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Really good game (even if I personally am a bit rubbish at platformers in general)!

=D> =D> =D>

Ludicrous and unreasonable feature-requests:
  • Optional background music
  • A gun to shoot the monsters/aliens with!
:D

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:10 pm

This is really good! Love the graphics, and it's nice to play a game that's not teeth grindingly hard for a change!! :D
I only played the first five levels so far, but felt it was quite easy overall (but maybe the later levels get harder, I havent seen them yet)
Couple of suggestions if you fancy:
Game might have a touch more challenge to it if you could stop the player moving up through bricks (would have to dodge more of the baddies this way?)
Maybe its fair to say if you fall at high velocity to the ground, that's a you-died scenario
Would be good to have the bad guys getting in your way a little more - maybe put a few collectables in their path etc.?
I like how the level doesnt reset when you die. That's so refreshingly appreciated.

Overall though, great job!
Cheers
Simon

tricky

Post by tricky » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:20 pm

What a great game and I love the graphics.
If you weren't using all four colours (inc background) for the player, you could palette switch to give a little more colour, but it doesn't need it.
I was also thinking that you shouldn't be able to go up through the platforms, but then I got to the penguins and it makes it harder because you can :lol:
If you are loading into sideways RAM yourself, you could try one of the compressors to load the data a little quicker, but taking a little while to load is also a good thing as you have made a small investment that encourages you to play longer.

Andrew_Waite

Post by Andrew_Waite » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 am

Thank you for the feedback!

Here are a few points :

"Optional background music"

I would really need to know something about music to make this happen! I have experimented converting some pieces of sheet music to SOUND commands with the plan to issue one note every N times around the game loop. Unfortunately it all sounded like a cat being strangled. :roll:

"A gun to shoot the monsters/aliens with!"

Planet Nubium is a collect-em-up, but it would be great to eventually modify the game engine to make a the're-all-coming-at-you-at-once shoot-em-up game.

"I only played the first five levels so far, but felt it was quite easy overall"

Later levels are more challenging :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

"Maybe its fair to say if you fall at high velocity to the ground, that's a you-died scenario"

I do like the Chuckie Egg mechanic where the protagonist can fall from any height and survive. Adding the following line will kill Rocketman if he lands at too higher speed. The number '128' can be changed to make the highest survivable landing speed higher or lower. Can you give me feedback as to how this changes the 'feel' of the game?

285 IF A%>0 AND R%>128 B%=1

"Moving up through the bricks" / "I was also thinking that you shouldn't be able to go up through the platforms, but then I got to the penguins and it makes it harder because you can"

I like this mechanic, it adds a lot of flexibility to the design of the stages.

I hope to have an update to the game, increasing the number of stages from 24 to 32, soon.
Last edited by Andrew_Waite on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:05 am

Great game, well done for getting something to release stage =D>

Made it to level 11, love the graphics, the sound is good, animation smooth, good variety in level design, very nice game!

:-D

marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 am

This is great =D> =D>

I love the graphics and the playability

Marcus

Andrew_Waite

Post by Andrew_Waite » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:24 am

Planet Nubium Version 1.1 is now complete! The .ssd file with the new version of the game is attached to the bottom of this post.

Planet Nubium is my 21st Century game for the BBC Master.

Changes since Version 1.0 :

Eight new levels, bringing the total number of levels to 32.
New loading experience with new loading screens.
Many new tiles.
'Fall from any height' can be toggled on or off from the main menu.
Routine to draw text characters on the screen now fully in assembler to improve rendering performance.

As always, feedback is much appreciated.

Type ' CHAIN"NUBIUM" ' to load and run the game!
Attachments
Nubium 20181118 a.ssd
(86.25 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Last edited by Andrew_Waite on Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RobC

Post by RobC » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Great game - really like how it looks as I've always loved mode 1 platformers on the Beeb.
Andrew_Waite wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 am

I would really need to know something about music to make this happen! I have experimented converting some pieces of sheet music to SOUND commands with the plan to issue one note every N times around the game loop. Unfortunately it all sounded like a cat being strangled. :roll:
As I'm clueless when it comes to music, I was pleased to discover this. It can be configured to convert MIDI files into a BBC BASIC program that plays the tune using SOUND and ENVELOPE. It will mulitplex up to 9 channels from the original MIDI file into the Beeb's 3 channels but I've found it best to use simpler tunes or strip them down to 3 channels in a MIDI editor.

Might be worth considering as a quick way of generating the code for a background tune.

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:03 pm

RobC wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:11 pm
Great game - really like how it looks as I've always loved mode 1 platformers on the Beeb.
Andrew_Waite wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 am

As I'm clueless when it comes to music, I was pleased to discover this. It can be configured to convert MIDI files into a BBC BASIC program that plays the tune using SOUND and ENVELOPE. It will mulitplex up to 9 channels from the original MIDI file into the Beeb's 3 channels but I've found it best to use simpler tunes or strip them down to 3 channels in a MIDI editor.

Might be worth considering as a quick way of generating the code for a background tune.
If you're happy to "borrow" somebody else's music and can get hold of it in VGM format (e.g. a Sega Master System tune) then simonm and I can give you some code to play in the background on the 50Hz vsync event callback from either SWRAM, ANDY or HAZEL RAM (depending on your Master memory map.)

If you are comfortable with a modern tracker such as DefleMask then send me a PM and we can guide you through the somewhat convoluted pipeline of taking your own composition and wrangling it into a format suitable for the BBC tuning of the SN76489 sound chip.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

kppot

Post by kppot » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:19 pm

Absolutely fantastic job done!
I love the fact Master games still in development and even more - they been released.
I love graphics and those sprites.
Too bad I cannot play it on my Micro B, but still I am quite pleased with its appearance.
Excellent job, cheers!

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:30 pm

Nice job, I haven't looked, but are you double buffering?

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Andrew_Waite wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:21 pm
The .ssd file for the latest Version 1.1 of Planet Nubium is attached to my post of Sun Nov 18, 2018.
Would you be happy for Planet Nubium to be uploaded to bbmicro.co.uk at some point?

:?:

Andrew_Waite

Post by Andrew_Waite » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:45 pm

tricky wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:30 pm
Nice job, I haven't looked, but are you double buffering?
Double buffering is used.

After escaping, lines 1270 and 1290 contain the code for the CALLs that switch main and shadow memory between the 6512's memory map or the video circuit.
Last edited by Andrew_Waite on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Andrew_Waite

Post by Andrew_Waite » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:47 pm

lurkio wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:46 pm
Andrew_Waite wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:21 pm
The .ssd file for the latest Version 1.1 of Planet Nubium is attached to my post of Sun Nov 18, 2018.
Would you be happy for Planet Nubium to be uploaded to bbmicro.co.uk at some point?

:?:
Yes, please do upload V1.1 of Planet Nubium to bbcmicro.co.uk !
Last edited by Andrew_Waite on Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:08 pm

Andrew_Waite wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:47 pm
lurkio wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:46 pm
Yes, please do upload V1.1 of Planet Nubium to bbcmicro.co.uk !
Done!
:idea:

Andrew_Waite

Post by Andrew_Waite » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:11 am

Planet Nubium has now reached Version 1.2! The .ssd file with the new version of the game is attached to the bottom of this post.

Changes between Version 1.1 and Version 1.2 :

Guardians can move left/right at half speed to make animations clearer, and up/down at double speed to make the game harder.
New, improved loading screen.
Instructions now included in the main game rather than as part of the loader.
Typos corrected.

As always, feedback is much appreciated.

Type ' CHAIN"NUBIUM" ' to load and run the game!

Known Issue : The game requires all four banks of Sideways RAM. Please ensure that Sideways RAM banks are not configured as ROM on machines fitted with a RetroClinic DataCentre.
Attachments
Nubium 20181204 c.ssd
(94.5 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Last edited by Andrew_Waite on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:36 am, edited 10 times in total.