Acorn games on other platforms

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
AndyF

Acorn games on other platforms

Post by AndyF » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Just to throw this out there, what games we have on our B's /Masters or maybe Archimedes (although personally I'd rather stick with the 8bit machines for this topic) that had reasonable versions on other platforms ?

I realise some software would of "started life" on other machines and been ported across to our platform, that's OK as long as our version was half decent too.

Although there are many clones ( ! ) I do not see a direct port of say Snapper for another platform but that's not too important, we have the best one anyway!

Having played Chuckie Egg on a few other machines, I have concluded that the AmstradCPC version plays reasonably well, but does not look at nice as the Spectrum version (which plays OK ish) but I do prefer the 'B version. Similar could probably be said for Bruce Lee however the 'B version is a bit more difficult than that on the other platforms that I've tried. :oops:
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

steve3000

Re: Acorn games on other platforms

Post by steve3000 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 pm

This Archimedes classic recently appeared on Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... Cataclysmm

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:36 pm

steve3000 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 pm

That looks quite good. :)

Its a bit too modern for me though, Its not relatively that long ago I changed my Nokia 6210 (yes really) for a new N100 or N105 can't remember which one it is...
Andy

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:47 pm

think Elite was first on Acorn machines, then carbon copied came out sloppy on rubbish machines [-(
ImageImageImage

danielj

Post by danielj » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:04 pm

CMcDougall wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:47 pm
think Elite was first on Acorn machines, then carbon copied came out sloppy on rubbish machines [-(
Ian Bell said he thought the NES version was one of the best? Or best emulated...

Phlamethrower

Post by Phlamethrower » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:19 pm

There's an Iconbar thread with a few examples of Arc games that made it to other platforms. You might need to do a bit of digging to get working URLs, though.

https://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthre ... e=3#110631

There's also 1992 Olympics tie-in Quest for Gold, which appeared on other platforms as The Carl Lewis Challenge:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en# ... mQOsoNX4Q8
http://www.old-games.com/download/200/c ... -challenge
http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=290

Plus Spheres of Chaos: http://www.spheresofchaos.com/

VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:52 pm

Exile? That started life on the Beeb (and Electron) and was subsequently ported to the C64, Atari ST, Amiga and later the A1200 and CD32.

sydney

Post by sydney » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 am

CMcDougall wrote:
I went from elk elite to C64 elite and it was a massive improvement and holds up well against the beeb version . :shock: Maybe even better?. Dues to it's 64k of ram the tape version has all the ships and missions of the beeb disk version without needing to load stuff every time you launch or land. Not played it for years on the 64 so couldn't give a good comparison other than I was expecting more from the beeb version when I first played it.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:35 am

sydney wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 am
CMcDougall wrote:
I went from elk elite to C64 elite and it was a massive improvement and holds up well against the beeb version . :shock: Maybe even better?. Dues to it's 64k of ram the tape version has all the ships and missions of the beeb disk version without needing to load stuff every time you launch or land. Not played it for years on the 64 so couldn't give a good comparison other than I was expecting more from the beeb version when I first played it.
Sad to say I played Elite more on my sisters Spectrum 48k (colour) than I did on the Electron, even though it had that annoying lenslock thing, which was harder to use than landing the ship on the docking station.

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:57 am

Thrust also started life on the Beeb, and was then ported to C64, CPC, Atari and Speccy while they worked on an Electron version. The C64 version was then released before the Beeb/Electron versions.

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:00 am

And of course Repton 1 & 2 got a release as Repton Mania on the Spectrum later on.

By Fair Means or Foul got a simultaneous release on multiple platforms, but it's probably safe to state that it originated on the Beeb, it being a Superior Software production.

I think The Sentinel and Cholo were also Beeb originals that got ported.

RobC

Post by RobC » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:15 am

I remember playing Revs on a friend's C64 - from memory, it wasn't quite up to the Beeb version's high standard.

I think Firetrack also got an outing on the C64 too but I've only ever played it on a Beeb.

davidb

Post by davidb » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:15 am

RobC wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:15 am
I think Firetrack also got an outing on the C64 too but I've only ever played it on a Beeb.
Frak! and Zalaga, too.

A few Acorn originals have been ported to the Atari 8-bit machines, including Ziggy and Hobgoblin.

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:01 pm

Thanks for the replies so far, some interesting games to look at. :)

I'm trying to exclude those where erm 'other platforms' had a better*** version than us, its mainly "what 'B games are well worth looking at on (insert 8bit machine name here)" :D

*** Having said "better" , actually for some reason Tapper springs to mind here. It does not look brilliant but it plays very very well on the 'B compared to the Amstrad version (which although colourful looks a bit odd somehow!) , on a flipside to this KnightLore plays and feels almost the same on the 'B , Amstrad and Spectrum. The walking sound on the Amstrad is quite annoying though, nothing a quick NOP or three would not fix no doubt. Cannot recall what the CBM version is like without checking, am aware there is/was an unofficial/third party port of it but that's getting off topic...

As a completely random thought, I did note a while back with Tapper you can on the 'B version actually erm play while while its in demo mode :lol: :shock: :mrgreen: , certainly move the bar-tender around anyway. Final thought from me on Tapper I do prefer the 'B version out of all the ones I've tried, aside perhaps from the Arcade version.
Last edited by AndyF on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Rich Talbot-Watkins wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:00 am
And of course Repton 1 & 2 got a release as Repton Mania on the Spectrum later on.
Repton 3 was also written for the Spectrum but never released. It was, however, released for the Commodore 64.

You can also find Bonecruncher on the Commodore 64 and Amiga...but I'm not sure which version came first - I've got a funny feeling it was originally written for the C64 then ported to the BBC.

And then there's Superior Interactive porting a lot of their back catalogue to Windows, iOS and Android.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Thinking about this again, Beach Head actually plays very well on the 'B , compared to other platforms its 'feel' is just as good but it is more difficult (to me) than other variants.
Andy

nudelooney

Post by nudelooney » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:18 am

steve3000 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 pm

This has also been ported to the Xbox and Vita platforms, as "Aqualibrium". It's a corker - still a lot of fun!