Looking for some classic Archimedes games and demos

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

eisdielenbiker

Looking for some classic Archimedes games and demos

Post by eisdielenbiker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi,
my name is Mark I am living in Germany and I am relatively new with an A3010 w/o harddisk. I love the retro feel with real floppy disk a lot.
I already have a few original games although I am not the typical gamer. I had been programming on the Amiga some 25 years ago when a friend
bought an A3010 from new. That was where I got to know the impressive 3D peformance then.
Therefor I focus on 3D games partly. Here is a list of the ones I cannot locate anywhere online:

-Galactic Dan
-Saloon Cars ( I guess there are a few English cars inside which I like as a longtime MG and Rover owner )
-Aldebaran
-Dungeon
-Chopper Force
-Black Angel
-Disk1 von Stunt Racer (2000)
-Technodream (it is 2D but never knew it from Amiga or Atari computers, looks interesting in Acorn User magazine)
-Saloon Cars Deluxe

I don't mean to have all these games in original or possibly still copyrighted form. Any playable demo would do firstly.
Is there somebody who might remember where to obtain these games or demos ?
Further I am looking for a scene demo called Misstech by Arm's Tech . There are just dead download links in the usal demo archive sites like pouet.net and demozoo.org. They do all refer to the popular icebird.org website however.
I have already checked the JASPP project archive of HD conversion which I appreciate highly but there has also been no evidence of the named games.
It would have been a reason to set up a harddisc for the A3010 in the end.
Thanks for hints and information!
Mark
A3010 4MB

flaxcottage

Re: Looking for some classic Archimedes games and demos

Post by flaxcottage » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Welcome, Mark. :D

Sorry I can't help with the games. All I can do is point you to eBay but they are riduculously expensive there. :shock:
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

eisdielenbiker

Post by eisdielenbiker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:30 am

John, and you cannot count on the original disks to work at all. It is not my aim to store old things I want to use them every now and then.
It seems a lot of people just stack that stuff to catch dust. Probably there are some backup copies around. I understand that many old Acorn games had a instruction book or colour table protection. I.e. you can copy them but hardly use them. The degree of usability might depend from title to title. Perhaps someone has a hint on one or another game. And a backup copy might probably function as a demo.
Maybe someone has a useful link to the TOSEC archive where I have only found one small collection of all kind of software.
As to the Misstech demo the internet is beginning to loose memory I fear. Is there any Archimedes demo collector around here ?
A3010 4MB

matt_nottm

Post by matt_nottm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:50 am

Is this the demo you are looking for? It is a Spark Archive (DDC) rather than a ZIP file.
Attachments
MISSTECH.zip
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 5 times

eisdielenbiker

Post by eisdielenbiker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanx, the archive's name seems right. But I cannot yet confirm the contents as you are confronting me with a little problme due to the size of the file. It does not fit onto my usual MS-DOS 1,44 MB transfer disk. I will have to split it using HexEdit in Win10 first.
But how do I put together 2 pieces of binary on the A3010 with 4MB of RAM ?
Is there possibly an easy command off the desktop ?
A3010 4MB

number-one

Post by number-one » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi !
There is this German ftp with demos and much more :
http://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/acorn/riscos/

You can check this Youtube channel if you need some inspiration, as there are many demos shown :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgWNAx ... q6zgg4b3Qw

Hope this helps ;-)
A3010 4 MB Ram

eisdielenbiker

Post by eisdielenbiker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 am

Hi Number-One,
I already knew of the Stuttgart link . The collection is a bit chaotic. Looks academic in a way.
The Youtube channel is totally awesome although I already had one or another Zarchos video in my likes.
Mark
A3010 4MB

eisdielenbiker

Post by eisdielenbiker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:27 am

I am sorry for the guy who contacted me via PM . I am not able to reply technically. Can anybody explain how to reply a PM ?
A3010 4MB

number-one

Post by number-one » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 am

Why not try the APDL library ?
It is a bit better organized ;-)
http://www.apdl.org.uk/apdlpd/library/library.htm
A3010 4 MB Ram

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:23 am

eisdielenbiker wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:14 pm
-Galactic Dan
-Saloon Cars ( I guess there are a few English cars inside which I like as a longtime MG and Rover owner )
-Aldebaran
-Dungeon
-Chopper Force
-Black Angel
-Technodream (it is 2D but never knew it from Amiga or Atari computers, looks interesting in Acorn User magazine)
-Saloon Cars Deluxe
With the exception of Technodream, these are all The Fourth Dimension titles. David Bradforth (who's handling the web and software side of APDL who own the distribution rights) has told me they will be made public on the APDL website. That was several years ago though, so I'm not sure of the timescale to release them.

Technodream can be purchased new from Matthew Thompson (PM MatthewThompson on here), who sells originals on behalf of Superior Software.
eisdielenbiker wrote:
I have already checked the JASPP project archive of HD conversion which I appreciate highly but there has also been no evidence of the named games.
You won't find any of these titles on JASPP as the project doesn't have rights to distribute them, they have however all been imaged, some fully archived and others are in progress,, in the hope that one day permission will be granted.
eisdielenbiker wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:27 am
Can anybody explain how to reply a PM ?
You need to have posted more messages, or ask an Admin to give you access to PM.

sydney

Post by sydney » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:34 am

eisdielenbiker wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:27 am
I am sorry for the guy who contacted me via PM . I am not able to reply technically. Can anybody explain how to reply a PM ?
PM's enabled.

eisdielenbiker

Post by eisdielenbiker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:11 pm

I still read when PMing:
"We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more in discussions to be able to use this feature. "

I hereby apply for being allowed to send personal messages.

And thanks for the APDL-link I only had dead ones before.... thought it was offline .
Last edited by eisdielenbiker on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A3010 4MB

hubersn

Post by hubersn » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:07 am

eisdielenbiker wrote:
Hi,
my name is Mark I am living in Germany and I am relatively new with an A3010 w/o harddisk.
If you prefer to have your RISC OSy conversation in German, join us at https://forum.acorn.de/
Therefor I focus on 3D games partly. Here is a list of the ones I cannot locate anywhere online:

-Galactic Dan
-Aldebaran
-Dungeon
-Chopper Force
-Black Angel
-Saloon Cars Deluxe

I don't mean to have all these games in original or possibly still copyrighted form. Any playable demo would do firstly.
Is there somebody who might remember where to obtain these games or demos ?
Always worth a look is Charlie's CubeServer, at least Aldebaran is there: http://qubeserver.com/
Further I am looking for a scene demo called Misstech by Arm's Tech . There are just dead download links in the usal demo archive sites like pouet.net and demozoo.org. They do all refer to the popular icebird.org website however.
I don't remember that one - if it is not at icebird.org, you won't have much chance - it is the definitive demo collection.

Have fun
hubersn

vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 pm

No MGs or Rovers(I own two myself :D) in saloon cars sadly, the three cars were Astra GTE, BMW M3 and Sierra Cosworth.