Mijas C and Brasscourt C

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
garfield

Mijas C and Brasscourt C

Post by garfield » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:29 am

Hello beebers,

Does anyone have disc/rom/manual images for either Brasscourt C compiler, or for Mijas C ?

I know there are other C compilers out there, but it is these two specifically that I am interested in.

As far as I know, there were three revisions of Mijas C for the BBC, with the latest version being more optimised (unsurprisingly).

Any pointers towards these ? :?:

RobC

Re: Mijas C and Brasscourt C

Post by RobC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:08 am

It would be great to recover these - whilst lots of games have been preserved, there's a fair bit of "serious" software that's still MIA.

I posted an advert for the Brasscourt compiler and a probable link to the still active company here.

Might be worth trying to contact them to see if they still have a copy...

garfield

Post by garfield » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Yeah, Mijas C (from the old magazine reviews) seems to be pretty good, and compiled into actual 6502 code, instead of an intermediate interpreted language.

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:40 pm

garfield wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:41 pm
Yeah, Mijas C (from the old magazine reviews) seems to be pretty good, and compiled into actual 6502 code, instead of an intermediate interpreted language.
If we can find the compiler I will be interested to try it out.

When you say it compiles to 6502 code, at what level? There are other compilers that compile to JSR-threaded code, i.e. much like Forth. The result is real 6502 code in the sense that JSR is a 6502 instruction and the library of subroutine calls could be linked with your C program to produce a stand-alone executable, but it isn't necessarily any faster than an intermediate code representation and is unlikely to be as compact.

See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13158&hilit=BCPL