Deploy-and-run from PC to Beeb?

Development tools discussion area.
sydney

Re: Deploy-and-run from PC to Beeb?

Post by sydney » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:35 pm

I've been using cutecom to send my ssd's to the Master for testing but wanted something I could use from the command line.
Today I discovered writetoserial on github which is a small command line program that takes a filename, speed and port as arguments and squirts my ssd over the serial port to my UPURS enabled Master. It's great! I'll probably write a small 'deploy' script which will assemble, create an ssd and send it straight to the master all in one go.
Last edited by sydney on Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guddler

Post by guddler » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:08 pm

Clearly this IS a very dumb question or you'd already be doing it, but if this isn't Windows (and maybe even if it is) why can't you simply copy the file to the serial port (the /dev/BLAH) from the command line? THat's what I used to do when I had a linux based serial solution on my Amiga.

There are commands that set the handshaking and transfer rate etc. for the port (again command line)

What am I missing?

sydney

Post by sydney » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:21 pm

My linux knowledge is pretty limited and I struggled with enabling flow control and so gave up. I've read up on setserial, stty, ckermit and probably others.
Last edited by sydney on Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guddler

Post by guddler » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:44 pm

Ah ok. Not sure if the Amiga thing was using flow control. I know you’ve found a tools now but I’ll see if I can dig it out. I remember it was a headache to work out but simple enough to repeat once you knew what to do.