Teletext Paint Program

Discuss all aspects of programming here. From 8-bit through to modern architectures.
pixelblip

Teletext Paint Program

Post by pixelblip » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi there
Is anyone out there up for a challenge........... I need some help from our talented programmers :)

Mainly someone who might be able to program in Teletext /Mode 7.

Fourthstone has helped me so much with the art program and he's rather busy at the moment.......and we have a MODE 2 thing going on :)

I sometimes like to dabble in Teletext but I find all the programs are quite un-arty to use. They all involve character codes and six character blocks at the keyboard when all I want to do is draw a circle/box/line in Teletext and then maybe fill a shape in using the mouse or a graphics tablet.

There is a windows package called CebraText but it's pretty old and quirky and won't run properly in W7. What I would like is someone who might be able to whip up a simple MOde 7 paint package with brushes and line / circle tools (and the usual teletext characters e.t.c ) ....I say simple but it's never that simple is it :lol:

was thinking how do you draw a line in teletext .......it's not so easy trying to work it out.....how to get a line across the screen suddenly transfer into character codes.

I have used edit tf and things like that but they don't have the shapes and fills....it's pixel by pixel...which is ok but it would be nice to have more of an art package. I've been scouring bulleting board disks like 8bs but can't find anything. If you know of anything arty that works in Mode 7 or fancy having a bash in BBC basic for windows then please get it touch.
Thanks!
Last edited by pixelblip on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jgharston

Re: Teletext Paint Program

Post by jgharston » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:27 pm

My teletext editor allows you to draw circles and simple lines. Not fully paint-style, but enough for simple stuff. The simpler solution might be to draw a picture in a normal graphics art program and then write some code to chunkify it into teletext characters.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I will have another bash at trying to get your program working in Risc OS - I did try last time but I couldn't get very far ( after changing some paths ).
I'll go back to it....

Someone had posted a conversion program from bmp to mode 7 but at times it's better to paint from scratch - it's not the software's fault but just the limitation of having to break a hi res picture down.....

guesser

Post by guesser » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:59 pm

jgharston wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:27 pm
The simpler solution might be to draw a picture in a normal graphics art program and then write some code to chunkify it into teletext characters.
That's essentially what an editor program would have to do to implement flood fills, convert the sixels to pixels, do a flood fill algorithm, and then turn everything it had filled back into sixels again.
It's not the worst programming challenge in the world, but it is getting quite a way away from the very character based way everything else works.

I wouldn't say there's no chance of me ever implementing something like that, but it's way down the list of priorities if I do (particularly since it didn't take much practice for me to get fast enough cursoring around with one hand and rattling the pixels in with the other - mouse support was only added because I got fed up of people moaning :) )
A web based teletext editor which can export as Mode 7 screen memory: https://zxnet.co.uk/teletext/editor

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:00 pm

pixelblip wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:58 pm
I will have another bash at trying to get your program working in Risc OS - I did try last time but I couldn't get very far ( after changing some paths ).
See !ReadMe:
Open the !Teletext application (Shift double-click) and load the TtxtInit
file into a text editor, eg !Edit.
a) Change Teletext$Dir to have the full pathname of the teletext
program directory.
b) Copy the TtxtInit file into the Library directory.
c) Put '*TtxtInit' in the !Boot file in the !System directory.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

matt_nottm

Post by matt_nottm » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:40 am

There was a BBC and Risc OS WIMP application called octave which was part of the Derbyshire LEA DESC-IT suite of applications which was a MODE 7 Teletext paint style package. I've not been able to find it again, or find the floppies in various lofts. :-( I'm going to try and contact a couple of Derbyshire teacher friends to see if they still have their copies of the DESC-IT suite of discs (I believe there were about 40 ish which the LEA copied for teachers at Matlock BITD).
Last edited by matt_nottm on Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:04 pm

Oh super thanks Matt! I appreciate that.