Booting from ADFS harddrive into Wizzo IDEFS

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

Eirikur Blodax

Booting from ADFS harddrive into Wizzo IDEFS

Post by Eirikur Blodax » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi all,

I recently resurrected my A5000 and then found this forum... and Wizzo3v15 IDEFS drivers!
Since I cannot burn EPROMs the next best thing is to smoothly boot from ADFS into IDEFS and be able to use additional partitions on my hard drive.

What did I do as basic setup
  • Load the Wizzo drivers; no problem
  • Format CF card(s) --> abandoned due to persistent problems like broken directories etc.
  • Format a 'fresh' harddrive and create three partitions (499+511+511 versus my original 80MB)
    Only three partitions make it easy to use another physical drive as well for backups
  • Changed my RO3.1 !HForm to include a large HD format specification
  • ADFS format the first partition (:4) with !Hform, this gives a smaller LAU for the main partition
With this in place I can access the first partition with either ADFS or IDEFS - next was to ensure only one DFS is active under normal use to prevent file corruption and broken directories. This can be achieved by unloading ADFS in the boot sequence. Set ADFSbuffers to zero, just in case.

My setup is as follows:
  • !Boot.!Run (the default ADFS boot obey script)
    • first action in !Boot.!Run is to load IDEFS and set IDEFS as current filesystem
    • second is setting <Boot$...>, <Root$...> and <System$...> to IDEFS: locations
    • ... all other boot activities are relative to the IDEFS locations
    • as a final action desktop is started which boots its own DeskBoot file from IDEFS
  • !Boot.DeskBoot (my desktop Boot obey script)
    • first action: if IDEFS is loaded, immediately RMKill ADFS and ADFSfiler
      this leaves either ADFS or IDEFS as the only local disc filing system
    • ... do all the regular desktop boot stuff
Everything works OK as far as I can tell (not a single FileCore in use yet), bar a few hard-coded 'ADFS:' references, most notably in !Menon.
The only real disadvantage is losing access to the floppy by default - I amended my boot sequence to check for the control key to skip the IDEFS loading/ADFS unloading. The two additional partitions mainly hold games, archives and other non-essential stuff anyway.

PS: Paul (DutchAcorn) mentioned he may be able to burn a ROM for me, I may still take him up on that!
With kind regards, Erik

DutchAcorn

Re: Booting from ADFS harddrive into Wizzo IDEFS

Post by DutchAcorn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:52 am

Eirikur Blodax wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:22 pm

Everything works OK as far as I can tell (not a single FileCore in use yet), bar a few hard-coded 'ADFS:' references, most notably in !Menon.
The only real disadvantage is losing access to the floppy by default - I amended my boot sequence to check for the control key to skip the IDEFS loading/ADFS unloading. The two additional partitions mainly hold games, archives and other non-essential stuff anyway.
An alternative is to load the Wizzo drivers from floppy, as described here by Steve: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11247#p140562

Eirikur Blodax wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:22 pm
PS: Paul (DutchAcorn) mentioned he may be able to burn a ROM for me, I may still take him up on that!
The offer stands, I've sent you a PM (which, as a new member, you won't be able to reply to yet, but you can reply to the email address I added).
Paul