BBC, electron, atom, arch(?) on retropie?

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
iainjh

BBC, electron, atom, arch(?) on retropie?

Post by iainjh » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi

Has anyone got beebem or other compiled, working on retropie and added to emulation station etc?

I’ve read various threads that seem to lead to nowhere, missing sound etc,and mess seems a bit of a dead end re performance

I did see a mention of a build for sale in Kickstarter but nothing now happening it seems.

Anyone got these working?

As an aside it’d be great to focus a retropie build on computers not games machines... the acorns would beef such a collection up massively!

Cheers

trixster

Re: BBC, electron, atom, arch(?) on retropie?

Post by trixster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:45 pm

I have both beebem and b-em working on my Pi, one of which (can’t remember which but I think it’s beebem) runs through emulationstation and the other through the desktop. Both work fine however the one that goes through emulationstation hangs if you try to open a disk requestor, so you can’t save your game or machine state. I think this is because it’s not compiled for sdl2.

I haven’t used them for a year or two so my recollection is hazy. Performance with both emulators is fine with an Rpi3.
Last edited by trixster on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A3020 | A3000 | A420/1 | BBC B | Master Turbo | ZX48K | NeoGeo
Atom | Amiga A4000 | A3000 | A1200 | A500 | PC Engine | Enterprise
Falcon | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD | Jaguar | X68000 | CD32

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 pm

trixster wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:45 pm
I have both beebem and b-em working on my Pi, one of which (can’t remember which but I think it’s beebem) runs through emulationstation and the other through the desktop. Both work fine however the one that goes through emulationstation hangs if you try to open a disk requestor, so you can’t save your game or machine state. I think this is because it’s not compiled for sdl2.

I haven’t used them for a year or two so my recollection is hazy. Performance with both emulators is fine with an Rpi3.
Really I found they all worked (including B2) but performance was fairly poor. They were both compiled from source, but were running under raspbian. I didn’t try any tuning.

iainjh

Post by iainjh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:36 pm

Oops I didn’t reply sorry :(

Thanks for info I guess I’ll need compile and try it.

I also want to set up separate ES menu option for separate machines.

Cheers

Martin8777

Post by Martin8777 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Thanks for info I guess I’ll need compile and try it.

I also want to set up separate ES menu option for separate machines.
Did you have any success with that? I am building a retropie machine in the shell of my old Electron so would love to be able to play Electron games on there or BBC if that's not do-able.

cheers.

MK

iainjh

Post by iainjh » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:50 pm

still working on it

I have bbc kindof working, more work to do. beebem and also under mess. beebem is without sound it seems, and mess is slow.

I'll hopefully get atom working under mess and i'll repost.

JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:39 pm

If you ever get sound working, please let me know how. I've been working on it for a while and haven't cracked it!

In the end I built a standard small form factor PC for my RetroPie box, simply because Beebem sound works when compiled for x86.

iainjh

Post by iainjh » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:37 pm

I've given up on compiling mess or lr-mess as always failed

I found that installing the advmame binary also gives an advmame executable in the /bin folder - and it seems to work!

this isnt completely correct, but I suggest starting here:
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/198 ... asic-guide

There is plenty of conflicting info out there. There's a few w.i.p .cfg file pastes below if you want to have a go. I want to get electron and atom working as well as Beeb. I hadn't expected the speed to be usable at all but so far it seems ok?! Arcadians seems to run with sound. I need find how to get the fps displayed.

I do have a few keymap issues, physical positioning might be needed, and small issues like entering *., so I've deleted the advmame map for . (that had triggered scaling options) and I can now *., and *exec !boot arcadians.

i dont know if the per game settings are persistent.

also exile fails, 3d snooker runs.

opt/retropie/configs/bbcmicro/emulators.cfg

Code: Select all

advmess = "/opt/retropie/emulators/advmame/bin/advmess bbcb -floppy %ROM%"
default = "advmess"
es_systems.cfg snippet:

<system>
    <name>bbcmicro</name>
    <fullname>BBC Micro</fullname>
    <path>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/bbcmicro</path>
    <extension>.ssd .dsd .SSD .DSD .zip .ZIP</extension>
	 <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ bbcmicro %ROM%</command>
    <platform>bbcmicro</platform>
    <theme>bbcmicro</theme>
  </system>

Last edited by iainjh on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:32 pm

So which version of MESS does advmess give you, is it the latest?

There have been countless improvements to BBC and Electron emulation in MAME (MESS no longer exists) over the past couple of years, so anything older will have plenty of known issues.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

iainjh

Post by iainjh » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Hello

it's advancemess 3.9

I've got electron loading .uef files reliably now, inc elite, planetoids and exile. The electron driver doesnt allow loading .ssd's via the -floppy switch, so it seems to load at the same speed as tape using an .uef.

emulators.cfg for electron:

advmess = "/opt/retropie/emulators/advmame/bin/advmess electron -cfg /opt/retropie/configs/mame-advmame/electron.rc -cass %ROM%"
default = "advmess"

I next need to script chain"" to autoload the mounted .uef image. And remap the keys - no f0, stops me actually running exile at this point.

Atom - no advmame errors now, it boots to a screen full of @ symbols. Thats all so far. I found the atom roms in the official mess bios distribution arent correct so replaced those. I re-zipped the ones from the atomulator/ roms folder and these get me past the advmame errors. still, stuck on the screen full of '@' symbols. Not sure it i need load .atm or extension-less files. I'll play.

other info:

the atom.zip file resides in opt/retropie/configs/all/mame-advmame/roms, despite what the other sites say.

an electron.rc and atom.rc need to be in opt/retropie/configs/all/mame-advmame. I just nicked one from the interweb and added the rom path. it needs a tidy - see attachment, rename to electron.rc:
--

--
advancemess error log is in dev/shm and is pretty helpful.

onward!

-------
I've given up on compiling mess or lr-mess as always failed

I found that installing the advmame binary also gives an advmame executable in the /bin folder - and it seems to work!

this isnt completely correct, but I suggest starting here:
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/198 ... asic-guide

There is plenty of conflicting info out there. There's a few w.i.p .cfg file pastes below you you want to have a try. I want to get electron and atom working as well as Beeb. I hadn't expected the speed to be usable at all but so far it seems ok?! Arcadians seems to run with all sound. I need find how to get the fps displayed.

I do have a few keymap issues, physical positioning might be needed, and small issues like entering *., so I've deleted the advmame map for . (that had triggered scaling options) and I can now *., and *exec !boot arcadians.

i dont know if the per game settings are persistent.

also exile fails, 3d snooker runs.

opt/retropie/configs/bbcmicro/emulators.cfg

advmess = "/opt/retropie/emulators/advmame/bin/advmess bbcb -floppy %ROM%"
default = "advmess"
es_systems.cfg snippet:

<system>
    <name>bbcmicro</name>
    <fullname>BBC Micro</fullname>
    <path>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/bbcmicro</path>
    <extension>.ssd .dsd .SSD .DSD .zip .ZIP</extension>
	 <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ bbcmicro %ROM%</command>
    <platform>bbcmicro</platform>
    <theme>bbcmicro</theme>
  </system>

Attachments
electron.rc.txt
(23.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by iainjh on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

danielj

Post by danielj » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:42 pm

Iain, can you attach that config as a zipped text file? It's huge!

d.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:43 pm

iainjh wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:22 pm
it's advancemess 3.9
Sorry but that's based on MAME 0.106 which was released in 2006. In the past 5 years alone there have been major emulation improvements to all Acorn machines in MAME. I cannot offer any advice/support on something so old.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

iainjh

Post by iainjh » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:46 pm

Ok Pernod.

Like I said it’s the latest that compiles or is available on retropie. So it’s academic really, it’s all there is.

Daniel yes I’ll re attach!

Anyway I hope this is useful for someone