RPCEmu 0.9.0 and Macs - beta testers wanted

ask about 32-bit emulators like ArcEm, Red Squirrel, Arculator or RPCEmu here
VincentVega

RPCEmu 0.9.0 and Macs - beta testers wanted

Post by VincentVega » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 pm

Not so long ago, a new version of RPCEmu (0.9.0) was released, featuring a new (and much improved) QT front end. As with most RPCEmu releases, I eagerly compiled it on my Mac, only to find that the keyboard doesn't work! It seems that when you get keyboard events from QT on the Mac, you don't get a scan code, which is what RPCEmu uses to map keypresses to PS/2 codes for RISC OS to process.

For the last couple of weeks, I've been playing around trying to get the keyboard working. It's been a process involving a large amount of guesswork, but I think I finally have it working. Fortunately there are no changes required to QT, just to RPCEmu. You can get most of the information you need from other fields of the key event from QT and from another event that RPCEmu ignores on Macs, and the only key I've found that needs special treatment is Caps Lock (mainly because you don't get a "key up" event for some reason).

Before I submit a patch to RPCEmu's mailing list, would anyone be interested in doing some beta testing? It works fine on my 2017 iMac with a normal Apple keyboard and I'll probably give it a whirl on my MacBook too, but I don't have any other hardware available to use.

The patch adds a couple of new files and modifies a few others. I've currently got it working so the keys are in the same layout as a normal RISC PC/Acorn keyboard, so the backslash key is to the left of "Z", not to the left of "ENTER". I'm weird like that: I use a normal "PC" keyboard layout when I'm in Windows, even if it's in a virtual machine running in OS X.

The patch won't be ready for couple of weeks as I'm off on holiday next week, but hopefully it will be ready shortly after I return. Unfortunately I never remember to make a copy of files before I change them so I have the originals to use to compare using "diff" so I'll have to faff about with that for a bit.
Last edited by VincentVega on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lcww1

Re: RPCEmu 0.9.0 and Macs - beta testers wanted

Post by lcww1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Nice work! I’d be delighted to beta test your Mac RPCEmu build 8)

myelin

Post by myelin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:36 am

Me too!
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in San Francisco, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
Most popular: fast serial port, FX2+PiTubeDirect Tube/Cartridge adapter, USB cart interface.

matt_nottm

Post by matt_nottm » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:16 pm

<AOL> Me too please! </AOL>

danielhanlon

Post by danielhanlon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:29 pm

I'd be very happy to be a beta tester too...