Electron overheating video

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Coeus

Re: Electron overheating video

Post by Coeus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:18 am

Is the PSU inside the main case (sorry don't have an Electron)? If so, drawing more current from the PSU may not be causing problems with voltage sag, just causing the PSU to generate more heat and contribute to the inside the case temperature.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:21 am

Coeus wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:18 am
Is the PSU inside the main case (sorry don't have an Electron)? If so, drawing more current from the PSU may not be causing problems with voltage sag, just causing the PSU to generate more heat and contribute to the inside the case temperature.
Yes, the PSU is inside the Electrons case with the AC brick outside. So could still be a heat related issue. I'm sure the DC lead, from the PSU is long enough to allow it to sit outside of the case - may be worth a go?

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:25 pm

The issue is more getting it to flicker on demand, and then keep it going while measuring anything. Oddly yesterday while testing the RGB hdmi it didn’t do it at all, even though spending a couple of hours messing with games on MGC.

Won’t have much time for testing for a couple of weeks, but I am sure it hasn’t cured itself, so will carry on diags soon.
Last edited by Elminster on Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:39 pm

Duncan wrote:Now if Martin get the i2c clock module inside he Electron that has a built in temperature sensor on the board
He already has! If you look about half-way down Page 4 of the ‘I2C 4 U’ thread where the rom downloads are, you’ll see there’s an Electron version of the I2C rom ready and waiting for all your sensing needs. Can’t believe you haven’t done it already! There’s even a nice ready-made BASIC temperature-over-time graphing program in my user-guide that’s just perfect for your requirements and you already have the RTC/Temperatue module... :D

(You’ll of course need a Plus 1 and then either an EUP or an AP5 for a User Port.)

(( Actually, I’m sure you already know all of the above because you must have tested your AP5 with the Elk I2C rom. Anyways, just sit the RTC module loose on the ULA or wherever in a bit of cling film to avoid shorts and pass the cable out wherever you can make least gap. I’ve done it fine on Beebs for monitoring the 6502 operating temperature as you’ll see in one of the videos.))

Last edited by MartinB on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:35 pm

Elminster wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:25 pm
Oddl6 yesterday while testing the RGB hdmi it didn’t do it at all, even though spending a couple of hours messing with games on MGC.
That could be a big clue..... Not exactly sure what it means, but try to test if it's really the case.

Dave

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Many clues, just not consistant clues. I did leave it running on composite for sometime as well and it didn’t flicker. And it has flicker on RGB before. Never tested uhf. And it has certain had issue with MGC plugged in before.

It may have been because I was wearing my lucky underwear.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:44 pm

MartinB wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:39 pm
Duncan wrote:Now if Martin get the i2c clock module inside he Electron that has a built in temperature sensor on the board
(You’ll of course need a Plus 1 and then either an EUP or an AP5 for a User

I was waiting for the professional finish not requiring clingfilm :) although could use it to drive a fan when the reach x degrees.

I also have, as well as the multimeter temp sensor, a logit with loads of temp sensors.
Last edited by Elminster on Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:34 pm

I also found the ULA runs far to warm for my liking so put a heatsink and fan on mine to keep it cool.
Peter.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:38 pm

I have a load of raspberry pi heatsink that have never be used. But don’t want to stick until I am sure. I thin’ I have some small fan but I general don’t use them as very noisy. I usually prefer to use large fans but be hard to get one of them inside.