Emulator display issues in Windows 10

ask about 32-bit emulators like ArcEm, Red Squirrel, Arculator or RPCEmu here
DutchAcorn

Emulator display issues in Windows 10

Post by DutchAcorn » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:30 am

On my laptop I have had to reinstall W10 and since then all the acorn emulators I use (Arculator, Redsquirrel, RPCemu, Beebem) have display issues. I can't get any of the RiscOS emulators to display anything at all and Beebem only works if I switch the display renderer to Windows GDI.

The DX Diag does not show any issues (it reports DirectX version 12), DirectPlay is enabled as a windows feature in the Legacy Components.

Ofcourse I tried to google but so far nothing I tried gets the display back.

Anyone have the same issues and / or a solution? [-o<

Edit: funny how this works sometimes. I found a "solution" uninstalling and deleting the drivers for my Intel HD Graphics 3000 card. Apparently they no longer play with the latest Windows 10 updates. Brightness control is now gone, but at least I can use my emulators again...
Last edited by DutchAcorn on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Pernod

Re: Emulator display issues in Windows 10

Post by Pernod » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:36 am

I'm guessing you'll need DirectX 9, https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... x?id=34429.
Last edited by Pernod on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:52 am

I believe Windows 10 is supposed to ship with all required DirectX 9 runtime files, but because DX9 is getting pretty old these days it's possible that they've deliberately excluded some of the DLLs from newer installations. (All applications that made use of DirectX were supposed to ship with a 'redistributable' that was meant to run during setup, which would make sure that the DLLs required to run the game were installed on the system).

I would try the two links supplied on this page: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 89aae764c1

It those don't work, let us know! I might be able to help diagnose the problem.

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks for the links. I believe the issue is caused by a combination of the Windows 10 Creators update and an old driver.

In my case (Intel HD Graphics 3000) a newer version of the driver is not available so I’ll have to make do with the basic Microsoft video drivers.
Paul

VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:21 pm

You really should be able to run hardware-accelerated DX9 stuff with no problems on that card. The Win10 Creators Update minimum specs are for a DX9 WDDM 1.0 card, and the Intel HD3000 is much better than that. It won't be blazingly fast but for something like Beeb or Arc emulation it should be fine!