Trying to locate old game "Caves"

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

avengahM

Trying to locate old game "Caves"

Post by avengahM » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:20 pm

I think it was called Caves, but it could have been a pre-release version which changed its name maybe, given that I can't find it anywhere.

It was a graphic adventure with enemies that would drain your health and leave debris if you walked into them, meaning you'd have to walk around the debris or leave and come back for it to disappear. There was an upper level of the maze and a lower level, and you had to collect four items on the upper level which would be needed on the lower level to beat the game. I think the items did things like light up the lower level, open the trapdoor etc. I don't remember much else about it unfortunately.

Thanks!

lurkio

Re: Trying to locate old game "Caves"

Post by lurkio » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:25 pm

avengahM wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:20 pm
I think it was called Caves, but it could have been a pre-release version which changed its name maybe, given that I can't find it anywhere. It was a graphic adventure with enemies that would drain your health and leave debris if you walked into them, meaning you'd have to walk around the debris or leave and come back for it to disappear. There was an upper level of the maze and a lower level, and you had to collect four items on the upper level which would be needed on the lower level to beat the game. I think the items did things like light up the lower level, open the trapdoor etc. I don't remember much else about it unfortunately.

Is it any of these?:

:?:

avengahM

Post by avengahM » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:28 pm

lurkio wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:25 pm
avengahM wrote:
I think it was called Caves, but it could have been a pre-release version which changed its name maybe, given that I can't find it anywhere. It was a graphic adventure with enemies that would drain your health and leave debris if you walked into them, meaning you'd have to walk around the debris or leave and come back for it to disappear. There was an upper level of the maze and a lower level, and you had to collect four items on the upper level which would be needed on the lower level to beat the game. I think the items did things like light up the lower level, open the trapdoor etc. I don't remember much else about it unfortunately.

Is it any of these?:

:?:
No, unfortunately not.

Rather than make a new topic, I might as well add to this one: there was a game which may or may not have been Master-exclusive which involved a bouncing ball from an overhead view. You could control the ball in 8 directions, and it would have to be over a ground tile when it bounced. The ground tiles had different effects, such as tiles that made the ball bounce twice as much and tiles that reset it to normal bouncing again. It may have been called "Balls" or something.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:32 am

avengahM wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:28 pm
Rather than make a new topic, I might as well add to this one: there was a game which may or may not have been Master-exclusive which involved a bouncing ball from an overhead view. You could control the ball in 8 directions, and it would have to be over a ground tile when it bounced. The ground tiles had different effects, such as tiles that made the ball bounce twice as much and tiles that reset it to normal bouncing again. It may have been called "Balls" or something.
That has to be Sphere of Destiny, see http://bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?search= ... Of+Destiny
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:53 am

Pernod wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:32 am
avengahM wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:28 pm
That has to be Sphere of Destiny, see http://bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?search= ... Of+Destiny
My money's on Balls! ;)
http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1064
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

avengahM

Post by avengahM » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 am

Thanks guys; it's not either of those. It's a top-down view and the tiles and ball are much smaller. It has some similarities to Sphere of Destiny but the ball is constantly bouncing every 4 ticks or so, speeding up to every 2 ticks or so if you land on a particular type of tile, slowing back down to 4ish with another type of tile.

joachim

Post by joachim » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:28 pm

avengahM wrote:
It was a graphic adventure with enemies that would drain your health and leave debris if you walked into them, meaning you'd have to walk around the debris or leave and come back for it to disappear. There was an upper level of the maze and a lower level, and you had to collect four items on the upper level which would be needed on the lower level to beat the game. I think the items did things like light up the lower level, open the trapdoor etc. I don't remember much else about it unfortunately.
A long shot, but I would say that this paragraph accurately describes Gisburne's Castle by Martech (http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=172).