Help me identify some games, please!

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

Cantra

Help me identify some games, please!

Post by Cantra » Sat May 26, 2018 10:23 pm

I am hoping very much that someone can identify any of the below games, that I remember from my time with a BBC Micro.
I am in the UK, played on disks owned by a school, and the years I played them would have been around 1986-92. The details I remember are below. Unfortunately the details I remember are so scant that they are not the kind of things I could really search for, so you're my last, best hope [-o<
The details are so scant it might seem odd that I'm so eager to identify them, I guess I just gotta put these memories to rest.

1 - An educational package containing a map game

This is probably the easiest. It was a package of educational games, one of which was based around UK cities. You'd be given a map of the UK, it would name a city, and you'd have to select where it is using a crosshair. You would be given a score at the end based on your accuracy.

2 - Text Adventure

Hopefully another easy one, all I remember about this one is it introduced me to the word 'coinfer'...which is not a word, but stuck in my head. It was only some years later that I realised it was more than likely a typo for 'conifer'. But was the typo in the game, or in my head?? So a text adventure game with a conifer VERY early on, or the mispelling I recall.

3 - Some kind of space colony management sim

The gameplay of one was really basic, even more basic than Candy Floss, which at least gave you clues about the day's random events. I remember a picture of a domed city on a planet, but I forgot if this was a title screen o part of a UI during gameplay. You would be asked how many 'sculptures' you wanted to produce that turn (for sale), and I think you also had to buy oxygen for your colony. Once you made your choice, the results would be shown. For me, it always quickly ended in disaster saying the colony was dead. This was accompanied by screechy music and flashing, scrolling text. There was no other gameplay, that I know of, I have no idea if there was a win condition.

4 - A 'password' entry screen to an unknown game

Out of all four, the mystery of this one is the one I'm most hopeful you can solve. When you load the game, a face would coalesce out of reddish pixels, and it would ask you your age. No matter what I tried, I would only get the reply "You are too young" or "You are too old" - if I had more patience I could have narrowed it down to the exact answer, but I didn't, so did not. This much is what I definitely remember about it.

Next is what I possibly remember about it. The game was either a sequel, as in <something '2'>, or a 'part 2' to another game. The prequel or part 1 was not on the same disk.

Now, this is what it is NOT. It is not 'Granny's Garden - Part 2' which is the dragon city and mystery island section of the full Granny's Garden game. That does indeed ask for a password right at the beginning, but there's no face, no age question (which I distinctly remember) it just wants the 'sky' password from part 1, or 'river' from itself.

Thanks in advance!

forestman

Re: Help me identify some games, please!

Post by forestman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:27 am

I have a vague memory of the last game but can't remember its name :?
StrongARM RISC PC, OS 3.70, 24MB RAM, 2MB VRAM, working front flap!

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:54 am

I am pretty sure I played the map game recently, which makes me think it must be in the educational archive, but that is only on my laptop at present. However, is it one of these: search for Grography on bbcmicro site
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:17 pm

The following adventures contain the word Conifer:
I couldn't find Coinfer.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

Cantra

Post by Cantra » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:59 pm

pau1ie wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:54 am
I am pretty sure I played the map game recently, which makes me think it must be in the educational archive, but that is only on my laptop at present. However, is it one of these: search for Grography on bbcmicro site
Argh, I thought for sure it was one of these. Unfortunately the three that definitely look close to what I remember (Towntest, British Isles Quiz and Where?) all pick a location on the map and ask you what city/landmark is situated there - whereas the version I remember gave you a city name, and you had a crosshair moved by the arrow keys, which you used to select the city's location on the map.
Definitely isn't the other three, maybe my version did have other countries available, but it only ever showed one at a time, if it did. Thanks for trying though! :D
pau1ie wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:17 pm
The following adventures contain the word Conifer:
I couldn't find Coinfer.
Thank you for these. Unfortunately it is neither of them, but that site has a great big list of text adventure games for me to look at, hopefully it will be one of them. I remember the game to be rather wordy, the text to be white, and incorrect commands would be responded to with a 'What?!' or something similar (I noticed the Acornsoft games use 'Eh?' and 'Huh?' which could have been it)
Also you have also reunited me with another game I vaguely remembered, Mallory Manor another one I was very eager to see again! Thanks!