BeebSCSI 7_7

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
dp11

Re: BeebSCSI 7_7

Post by dp11 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:06 pm

Yep Pi can be powered from USB. Offer still stands if you can get my an image that causes the issue. Ideally on a plain Master.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Sun May 03, 2020 2:12 pm

KenLowe wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:02 pm
BeebMaster wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:44 pm
My 16GB FAT card (Philips) works, but I get the same problem with the DOS partition. If anything, it's worse - the light goes off the Pi as soon as the "initialising File Allocation Table" message comes up, and there's no further activity.
Switch to the debug version and that issue will disappear.
Oh yes! Went straight through the DOS hard drive setup no problem. So does that tell us anything more widely?

It actually makes mounting quite a bit slower, there's no light for about 5 seconds after CTRL-A-BREAK then it comes to life.

dp11

Post by dp11 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:18 pm

Debug alters the timing, it is possibly that without DEBUG enabled the code is returning too quickly for the x86.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Sun May 03, 2020 2:21 pm

That could well be it then, although I was still getting this problem with the BeebSCSI and debug enabled.

dp11

Post by dp11 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:37 pm

They may be more than one problem that have similar effect.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Sun May 03, 2020 2:58 pm

Or maybe the BeebSCSI board is just faster as it's a custom board, and maybe marginally too fast for the 512 in some circumstances?

PhilYoung

Post by PhilYoung » Sun May 03, 2020 4:22 pm

BeebMaster wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:03 pm

All very odd, but that makes 3 different reports of BeebSCSI not being 100% happy with the Master 512. I wonder what it all means.
I had problems with a Master 512 and a BeebSCSI mini if that counts. Worked perfectly for normal ADFS use. I could create a 'C' drive (having booted DOS plus from floppy), but CHKDSK C: would report errors, and attempting to fix them just made things worse. This is without making the 'C' drive bootable so should be the simplest case.

Sounds like the same sort of thing. It's all packed away at the moment unfortunately.

Cheers,

Phil Young

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Mon May 04, 2020 2:17 pm

Sounds like there's a major problem then with BeebSCSI and the Master 512 - and as it persists with the BeebSCSI board and the 1MHz Pi implementation, it seems like a software issue. I hope it can be fixed, I'm not sure what else to do to try to test or diagnose further.

dp11

Post by dp11 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:29 pm

I'm more than happy to try and debug the issue. I need an image with all the software needed to reproduce it and step by step instructions .

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Mon May 04, 2020 2:47 pm

Yes, I'll definitely do that, especially now I'm sure there isn't a fault with my Pi 1MHz adapter. A couple of other things I'm going to try first - making a couple of genuine Winchester geometry sized LUN images (20MB and 30MB), in case it just doesn't like the size of the disc for some reason, and trying it with the 512 co-pro in Pi Tube direct, to try to eliminate whether it's a general x86 problem or specific to the 80186 co-pro board.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Mon May 04, 2020 4:25 pm

A quick update, because I didn't get very far.

Using Pi 1MHz, I made a new drive 0 with Ultraform (effectively same as Superform for these purposes) of 615x4x33, ie. a standard 1980s 20MB MFM drive which I was then going to use for a 20MB DOS Plus partition.

For extra authenticity I like to fill up all the free space with fill byte &6C which is how a 1980s Winnie would look. I do this by creating a dummy file using:

X=OPENOUT"6C":REPEATBPUT#X,&6C:UNTIL0

After a second or so, it stopped, and checking, it had only written one sector of &6C bytes.

This works on my BeebSCSI board, it's still going now, as it's a very inefficient way of filling up disc space, and will probably take 30mins or so

This is with no Tube active, but might give a clue what's happening with the 512.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Mon May 04, 2020 10:41 pm

I abandoned that, I calculated that it would either take 5 hours or 55 hours depending on whether I'd got my decimal point the right place. Instead I have added an option to Ultraform that will fill up the disc with fill bytes doing a sector write after the format, which takes about 10 minutes on the 20MB disc.

Back at the M512 plot...I've made this 20MB image into a bootable DOS Plus disc. That failed the first time even with Pi SCSI debug kernel in use at the clearing root directory part, but worked the second time. I think with this you can just boot it with the M512 Tube on, and then do hdisk to get to the partitioner and try to make a new 20mb partition which should reliably break down early on to demonstrate the problem. If it doesn't work because it won't let you overwrite the active partition then running it from the memory disc will work ( this is how I re-installed it the second time, it had got far enough to be useable):

Code: Select all

memdisk
m:
copy c:\command.com
copy c:\star.cmd
copy c:\hdisk.cmd
star
*dir $.dos
*close
*delete drive_c
<CR>
hdisk
Attachments
M512-20MB.7z
(196.24 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Mon May 04, 2020 10:59 pm

BeebMaster wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:41 pm

Code: Select all

memdisk
m:
copy c:\command.com
copy c:\star.cmd
copy c:\hdisk.cmd
star
*dir $.dos
*close
*delete drive_c
<CR>
hdisk
Smart! I couldn't work out how to sensibly run hdisk from anything other than floppy (or floppy emulator). Simply create a MEMDISK from within the DOS environment and run everything from there. Easy when you know how!

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Mon May 04, 2020 11:05 pm

It will certainly let you create the DRIVE_C file that way, but I don't think it will allow the make bootable option, as it's hard coded to read the source files from floppy (although $.DOSBOOT is already on that image).

simoni

Post by simoni » Tue May 05, 2020 4:10 am

If you are formatting and filling with a data byte, you might want to look at what the SD card handling code is really doing:

https://github.com/simoninns/BeebSCSI/b ... em.c#L1131

The FAT action on the SD card is really only 'allocating' space, it doesn't actually format it because a) it takes a long time b) it's not really needed and c) it wears the SD card NAND flash for no reason.

Also, it would be really useful if you could narrow down the test environment; it's hard to tell from this thread (which is pretty OT at the moment), but you seem to be using a combination of BeebSCSI 7_7, your own hacked quickform and the Pi emulation version of BeebSCSI. There's no way to tell post to post what you observed issues on (which makes debugging next to impossible).

Set up your environment in a known way - one bit of hardware, one SD card, one LUN (preferably from the published quickstart image) - don't format it. Run the test with the M512, post the results with and without debug on and include what environment you used.

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat May 09, 2020 1:54 pm

BeebMaster wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:44 pm
My 16GB FAT card (Philips) works, but I get the same problem with the DOS partition. If anything, it's worse - the light goes off the Pi as soon as the "initialising File Allocation Table" message comes up, and there's no further activity.
Sorry again for the OT post. Dominic has released a new version of his Pi1MHz firmware that looks to have fixed this issue. It's certainly fixed it on my system. You may want to give this a try to see if it also works for you.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Sat May 09, 2020 2:05 pm

Yes, it's fixed in 1.03 of Pi 1MHz - I believe the problem with the Master 512 was related to the BPUT# issue I first noted here:

posting.php?mode=quote&f=3&p=267836

hubertn

Post by hubertn » Tue May 26, 2020 3:17 pm

Hi, I'm quite late to join the StarDot forums and am nearly overwhelmed by the amount of information available here :D
But hopefully not too late to get hold of a prebuilt BeebSCSI (Mini) board; are they still available?

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Tue May 26, 2020 3:53 pm

A similar request was made recently in this thread. I don't think there are many about, but there are alternatives; mainly the PI1MHz implementation of BeebSCSI.

hubertn

Post by hubertn » Wed May 27, 2020 9:20 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look at the Pi1MHz implementation. Seems very interesting to me!

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:43 am

simoni wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:10 pm
I've now added a 3D printable case for the BeebSCSI board to the Github (both OpenSCAD and STL files are available). The case is completely reconfigurable in openSCAD (you can change the size, ports and decoration):

1.jpg

Note that the BeebSCSI board requires all connectors to be right-angle (except the power connector which should be straight) in order to fit the case correctly. The case is held together by 2x M3 counter-sunk head screws.
Now I have used 3 roll of filament printing benchy’s I am going to print off Cases for my beebscsi’s. Is it still he case that no one created a design for the right angled connectors, so I need to tweak the STLs? I don’t want to reinvent the wheel if I don’t have to,

If that is the case with the case, are you happy I put the tweaked design on thingiverse with the standard Creative Commons license (assuming I get that far, 3D cad is still a bit of a wrestle) etc.?

Noticed that you have update the design on github, don’t remember the multi material before.

simoni

Post by simoni » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:14 pm

Yes, there is a new design on github. The case is better looking and also slides together (doesn't need screws like the old one). You can print it in both single and multimaterial. It is designed for a right-angle connector though.

The OpenSCAD source code is GPLv3; so you can clone it, play with it and publish your changes (along with the modified source). I'd recommend tweaking the OpenSCAD rather than the STL files - modifying STL files is usually a last resort when authors don't provide the full source (or the author doesn't use an open-source tool which you can't get for free).

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:27 pm

simoni wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:14 pm
Yes, there is a new design on github. The case is better looking and also slides together (doesn't need screws like the old one). You can print it in both single and multimaterial. It is designed for a right-angle connector though.

The OpenSCAD source code is GPLv3; so you can clone it, play with it and publish your changes (along with the modified source). I'd recommend tweaking the OpenSCAD rather than the STL files - modifying STL files is usually a last resort when authors don't provide the full source (or the author doesn't use an open-source tool which you can't get for free).
Thanks. Will be STLs for me as I am a Blender person, because I love fixing manifold issues and I could never get my head around openscad.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:59 pm

Posted on Thingiverse with Creative Commons Attribution Sharealike License.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4549392

Changes:

- Increase Height of base by 1mm for clearance
- Hole in Lid for connector
- Filled in rear of base
- Swapped pcb support lugs/triangles 180 degress, so give support when pulling connector
- reduce distance between runners by 0.6 mm as too large (perhaps m printer doesn't have the tolerance)
- reduce size of pcb lugs thickness as first board (I have two beebscsi) I cant get out of base. [Perhaps your MKS has better tolerance than my Huxley!]
Attachments
IMG_0577.JPEG
IMG_0580.JPEG

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:11 pm

That's really nice, I like the sliding lid. I wish somebody would make a sliding lid case for the Pi4...with 750W fan built in of course, or it'll melt the plastic!!

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:13 pm

BeebMaster wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:11 pm
That's really nice, I like the sliding lid. I wish somebody would make a sliding lid case for the Pi4...with 750W fan built in of course, or it'll melt the plastic!!
That was in Simon's design before I remixed it. But I might borrow it for other designs I do in future as I usually use screws.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 pm

What do you do when you have loads of draws from making a 3d print remix?

You make a draw tidy unit!
Attachments
Beebscsi_shelving.png

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”