Did these games exist, or am I going mad?!

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
gedshaw

Did these games exist, or am I going mad?!

Post by gedshaw » Sat May 12, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi all,

Have been getting back into the BBC games I played as a child recently, but there are three that I can't find no matter what I search for on Google, and I'm starting to wonder whether they existed at all or whether they're a figment of my imagination. :?

The three were all of a similar premise: an adventure style "escape" game in three different locations: one desert, one cave (which had collapsed, leaving you trapped), and one polar region. I'm pretty sure they were written as educational games, as the first part was trying to pick what to take with you - in the desert you had the choice of water bottle (essential), a tent, a gun, and binoculars; in the cave you had the choice of a torch, candles, a rope and a helmet (plus the choice of wetsuit/drysuit) and in the polar one then the amount of food remaining was the key. You would type in the direction you wanted to move (N/S/E/W, or for the cave L/R/U/D) and see what came along the way.

Along the way you'd encounter various problems: in the desert there'd be sandstorms, nomads (which sometimes gave you a camel), raiders and oases; in the cave there were falling rocks, flooded passageways (and I'm pretty sure it ended by throwing holy water over a witch). My recollection of the polar one isn't as good.

Does anyone have the faintest recollection of what I'm talking about just here? If anyone has (or even recognises, so I know I'm sane) this game I'd be very grateful!

Pablos544

Re: Did these games exist, or am I going mad?!

Post by Pablos544 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:33 pm

I remember exactly this game for the Commodore PET

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sat May 12, 2018 5:23 pm

gedshaw wrote:Does anyone have the faintest recollection of what I'm talking about just here? If anyone has (or even recognises, so I know I'm sane) this game I'd be very grateful!
It's not one of these, is it?:
:?:

gedshaw

Post by gedshaw » Sun May 13, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks for the reply, but no, I read in detail the posts on AI/CTD and it's neither of them. If no-one recognises it it'll be a case of getting all of the old 5" discs back at my parents and going through them!

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sun May 13, 2018 2:05 pm

I'd go through all your old discs if I were you. You never know, there may be some of the "long-lost" games among them:

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... es#p192796

gedshaw

Post by gedshaw » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:42 pm

Alas, no, but it sounds/looks very similar. My dad still has all the old 5.5" discs in his loft (together with several - working - original BBC micros, which I'm constantly trying to persuade him to eBay) - at some point I'll get on to the previous posters suggestions and go through them all.