So, RISC iX....

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

gazzaD

So, RISC iX....

Post by gazzaD » Mon May 07, 2018 4:47 pm

I've recently got suitable SCSI and network podules in my A440/1, which I've then used with a SCSI2SD card to build a working RISCiX environment in. The disk shape has been posted already, but my Google skill are letting me down.

After restoring the image on the RISC iX cloned thread I found there were a number of directories that had become corrupted, but as I now had a bootable system I was able to build a new root volume from the RISCiX.tar.gz file here and booted the system from there - which appears to be a working complete build.

The environment reminds me a lot of the Solaris 7 environment that was one of my first jobs administering back in the day, and has the one of the same problems - a lack of the gnu toolchain.

Has anyone out there got the gnu toolchain built under RISCiX, so that more recent Unix applications can be built? I can see that the arm-acorn-riscix platform was only supported for a brief period of time on the gnu applications, but it would make life a lot easier if the binaries were available than having to build them myself.

Thanks,
Gareth

daveejhitchins

Re: So, RISC iX....

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue May 08, 2018 7:04 am

Can't resist, sorry . . . But, I'm a gnu, another g-gnu - - - but of course, some of you youngsters won't g-know what the Hell I'm talking about! :lol:

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

davidb

Post by davidb » Tue May 08, 2018 9:32 am

daveejhitchins wrote:Can't resist, sorry . . . But, I'm a gnu, another g-gnu - - - but of course, some of you youngsters won't g-know what the Hell I'm talking about! :lol:
The song is tied in with the history of the GNU project because Richard Stallman was aware of it when he named the project. The lyrics are even published on a page on the GNU site.

So these things are connected in ways you might not have expected. :D

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue May 08, 2018 11:15 am

davidb wrote:So these things are connected in ways you might not have expected. :D
Excellent - Can't fault a guy with a sense of humour . . .

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com