web shop / ecommerce site

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
pau1ie

web shop / ecommerce site

Post by pau1ie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:34 pm

My father in law wants to sell some stuff on the internet. I know some of you have web shops, as I have used them. What software do you use? What do you recommend? He wants to be able to allow users to search and refine by parameters, but his supplier will handle shipping etc. He knows what he is doing with selling as that has been his entire career, so I trust him with that, he just needs help with the technology.

Shopify seems to have poor search but good shipping, which is kind of the opposite of what he wants. I have downloaded opencart and magento to have a play with. Open cart seems to do more or less what he wants, though the import/export has to be done through a plugin. Magento seem to want your entire life history before they will let you have a look at their software, and is more complex but seems to get better reviews.

Anyway, does anyone have advice on the software or services to use?
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

marcusjambler

Re: web shop / ecommerce site

Post by marcusjambler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Our family company uses an off the shelf e-commerce web site setup by a local web solutions company.
We can add/remove products and services and also create product groups and categories and of course pricing.
It has the facitility to tailor products with drop downs etc.
It also takes care of shipping by adding weights etc

I think the current version we are using is Ecommerce Plus PHP v6.4.5

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:47 pm

What about using the Ebay shops? The infrastructure's already well known and there. And as I understand it, it's just a question of taking photographs, doing your own taxes and organising the suppliers and dispatch.

Maybe more than that?

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:53 pm

I am a member (and Secretary) of the Havant Men's Shed, and we have been using a free Weebly site as our main web page.

I believe that Weebly also have e-commerce type of ability but we've never used that, so maybe take a look there to see if that's easy to use and affordable.

http://www.weebly.com
I'm writing a game where you can change your character from a Wizard to a monkey to a cat.

Well, Imogen that!

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:00 pm

One other suggestion.

I know someone who owns a company selling (among other things) cables, and he uses software called Actinic.

The cable company's website can be seen here: http://www.solentcables.co.uk

The ecommerce software is here: https://www.actinic.co.uk/

I'm not sure of any of the technical ins and outs of the software, nor how it is used or if you have to have your own hosting in order to use it.

Happy hunting.
I'm writing a game where you can change your character from a Wizard to a monkey to a cat.

Well, Imogen that!

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:59 am

Thanks for that. Seems a complicated area with a lot of variables. I have been doing research, and it seems that magento is pretty popular, though quite complex, though they try to steer you towards their commercial offering at $18,000 per year, which needs a lot of sales to justify, there is an open source version which I am inclined to use, but I need to dig into the requirements to see whether it is good enough. If it needs a lot of customization I will have to go for something more open.

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:47 pm

I read somewhere that craft cms has an ecommerce plugin. Not used it though so can't vouch if it suits your needs.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:43 am

I think this is a bit like the LAMP CMS options - no one option quite meets your every requirement 100%, so whatever one you choose ... there will be some customisation (or living with the cons because the pros are enough.)

I've looked at the options (this was a few years ago) and Magento is always a contender in any short list - but as you say, they prefer $$s these days. Got made to use osCommerce for a while. :-& Lots of functionality & modules but it was very ugly (at the time, not sure if any better these days.)

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:30 pm

Thanks Richard. Wise words! I am checking out osCommerce. As you say it is ugly, but hopefully there are some more modern themes that can be installed.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:59 am

Not sure about "wise words" :shock: :D

Another option is to try and beat one of the mainstream CMS projects into having a shop as well - pretty sure you can do that sort of thing with Wordpress, but never tried myself. I've talked to people who have, so it's doable. (But obviously you then get dragged into which CMS, which ecommerce module etc.)

Good luck and do let us know if you find one that seems to work well.